PDA

View Full Version : Dim Oil Light and Seatbelt Light

ACE_14
03-06-2011, 07:02 PM
On the way home from school today I noticed that both my Oil Light and Seatbelt light on the dash started coming on. They light up kinda dim though. I let the car rest for a bit, then put the key in the "ON" position. The Oil Light and Battery Light stayed on like normal. I started the car and they went off like normal, but then the Oil Light and Seatbelt Light slowly started to light up again.

Have any of you had this happen?

I think it may be my Oil Pump or maybe even the timing belt tensioner. But why would the Seatbelt Light come on too?

1813mdw
03-06-2011, 07:05 PM
sounds more like an electrical gremlin to me.

MessyHonda
03-06-2011, 08:12 PM
oil light only blinks on...trust me...i always do sharp turns and my engine does not like that. but for safety get a oil pressure gauge

charliekuney
03-06-2011, 08:25 PM
^ That means you're low on oil...well, my car does that.

Anyway, you could try replacing the bulbs. Very easy.

MessyHonda
03-06-2011, 08:41 PM
^ That means you're low on oil...well, my car does that.

Anyway, you could try replacing the bulbs. Very easy.

yeah it does mean your low but it also does it when you turn hard to the left...all the oil goes to the right hand side and the pick up pipe does not have any oil

lostforawhile
03-06-2011, 08:42 PM
that sounds like a ground, if the oil level is low, the light will blink and continue to flash, if the pressure drops and stays down, it will stay on, dim bulbs like that usually mean current is looping back through the lamp, probably due to a bad ground. Another thing it could possibly be, is a problem with the multifunction box under the dash, this is the box that controls both the low oil level flash, and the seatbelt light. look directly under the radio, you'll see a box with a multi pin plug plugged into the back of it. temporarily unplug that connector, and see if the oil light functions normally. it will work without the box, the box provides an additional ground to flash the light, if it detects a very brief drop in oil pressure, it also contains the seat belt timer control circuits, and the flasher controls for the side markers.

ACE_14
03-06-2011, 09:43 PM
well, i was under the dash by the blower motor, maybe i hit something. i'll check it tomarrow.

i thought maybe it was the oil pump or timing belt tensioner cause i was hearing some rattling at the cover.

charliekuney
03-06-2011, 09:45 PM
yeah it does mean your low but it also does it when you turn hard to the left...all the oil goes to the right hand side and the pick up pipe does not have any oil

My car does this when I'm low on oil and make a hard turn, not when the oil is full...