PDA

View Full Version : Starting issues

limikjr
03-09-2011, 12:14 PM
Hey guys, I'm back for some more 3Geez genius. :) Sometimes when I go to start my car it'll start but die almost immediately. After it does that it'll crank but not start again. I let it sit for a few minutes and try it again. After about three more attempts it'll start normally. At first I thought it was the fuel pump (?bad wiring/ground or bad pump?) because I couldn't hear it "whining" when it won't start but can when it does start. However I've noticed the past two times it's done this, If I hold the clutch in to start the car right after it dies, it'll start no problem. :wtf: Is this a safety feature like some new cars have or is my tranny putting drag on the engine, or am I way off...

By the way it's an '87 LX-i

Thanks!

charliekuney
03-09-2011, 08:50 PM
Only 89's have the clutch safety feature so you can't start the car in gear. You need to push the clutch it when you start the car in gear, or start the car in neutral.

Dr_Snooz
03-09-2011, 09:15 PM
A properly functioning fuel pump will sound more like "ticking" and less like "whining," so I would be leaning in that direction. Have you done a preliminary no-start diagnosis? Is it getting fuel, spark, etc?

limikjr
03-10-2011, 09:38 PM
Only 89's have the clutch safety feature so you can't start the car in gear. You need to push the clutch it when you start the car in gear, or start the car in neutral.

I'm not talking about stalling the car. Let me clarify that I'm talking about starting the car in neutral with the clutch engaged and sometimes the car just dies right after it starts. If I leave the clutch engaged and try to start it right after it dies, it usually won't start right away. But if I try to start the car with the clutch disengaged (tranny still in neutral) right after it dies, it'll start up right away. Now, some newer cars have a safety feature that won't allow you to start the car with the clutch engaged (even if in neutral) and I wasn't sure if our cars had this feature and mine was just being selective cause it only dies sometimes.

A properly functioning fuel pump will sound more like "ticking" and less like "whining," so I would be leaning in that direction. Have you done a preliminary no-start diagnosis? Is it getting fuel, spark, etc?

Ya , it definitely doesn't click. Exactly what kind of tests should I run and how do I go about dong it?

Thanks for all your help guys, I appreciate it.

Oldblueaccord
03-11-2011, 06:22 AM
Main Relay.

wp