PDA

View Full Version : Knocking

-$MOKIN-
03-09-2011, 01:21 PM
OK so the other night i did a million donuts then went to the store the next day and had a bad knocking sound...
So i am not sure if i blew a rod or if just jumped time.
It idles fine and there isnt a rod coming threw the side of the block ....
U cant really hear it knocking unless u give it gas and then it thumps pretty good...

I need input and i can make a video if someone request it. HELP :ugh:

ShyBoyCA6
03-09-2011, 01:23 PM
VID Please.

RAZR
03-09-2011, 01:34 PM
video Please

-$MOKIN-
03-09-2011, 01:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPXsFKmOGUk

ShyBoyCA6
03-09-2011, 01:52 PM
Broken rod or bearing? that sounds really bad might wanna get that fix asap before it gets worse.

I wouldn't do any harsh stuff to these motors. i learned my lesson with mine.

-$MOKIN-
03-09-2011, 02:01 PM
I donno it might of just slip time .

I need a good tech to tell me what to do here to check it out .To see what it is

ShyBoyCA6
03-09-2011, 02:04 PM
check the timing belt if its missing any teeth. if you think it the timing then grab a timing light and start from there. if not that then you might have to turn to the rod.

-$MOKIN-
03-09-2011, 02:10 PM
Anyone else have any input on it? I think a compression check. I took the oil stick out and it looked like it had shavings on it.

car6289
03-09-2011, 02:58 PM
Drain your oil in to a clean container. Strain the used oil through a paint filter, or better yet a paper coffee filter, and look for metal. What metal you find will lead you to what you have damaged inside the engine. Magnetic (ferrous) material will be from rotating components (crank or cam), the block or piston rings, non ferrous material will be from other sources, bearings, pistons.

I always thought donuts (doughnuts) were for eating. Doh!

Oldblueaccord
03-11-2011, 06:29 AM
OK so the other night i did a million donuts then went to the store the next day and had a bad knocking sound...
So i am not sure if i blew a rod or if just jumped time.
It idles fine and there isnt a rod coming threw the side of the block ....
U cant really hear it knocking unless u give it gas and then it thumps pretty good...

I need input and i can make a video if someone request it. HELP :ugh:

its blowed up.

Spinning around causes oil to slosh around in the oil pan and it prolly got oil starved.

wp

AccordB20A
03-11-2011, 01:40 PM
what he said^^

motors should be a dime a dosen over there go get another one :)

stat1K
03-11-2011, 02:26 PM
oil starved = spun rod bearings.

-$MOKIN-
03-14-2011, 01:53 PM
Last night i took her for a little ride. It sounds like the pistons hitting the valves to me. But i have no power loss at all. I gassed on it and let it wind out and it still feels strong besides the knocking sound. I have yet to do a compression check or take the oil out.

Anyone know a link to a How to on rod bearings? I doesn't seem to difficult really..

1813mdw
03-14-2011, 04:16 PM
Last night i took her for a little ride. It sounds like the pistons hitting the valves to me. But i have no power loss at all. I gassed on it and let it wind out and it still feels strong besides the knocking sound. I have yet to do a compression check or take the oil out.

Anyone know a link to a How to on rod bearings? I doesn't seem to difficult really..

if you've got shavings in your oil stop drivin it lol. might be somethin in the topend of the motor. pull the valve cover off and take a gander

stat1K
03-14-2011, 04:22 PM
"it sounds like pistons hitting valves"

Vanilla Sky
03-14-2011, 04:47 PM
Rod bearing or main bearing. Either way, that motor is dead. Don't worry about doing a compression check, because it doesn't mean anything when you have problems elsewhere in your motor. That would me like testing the battery when the back half of the car is missing.

rvd
03-15-2011, 04:11 PM
bearings are shot you said yourself you did millions of donuts, constant high revving will starve the bearings of oil

Rendon LX-i
03-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Well you prolly just Made that thing worse. Either replace main/rod bearings check for damange see if you need new rods or crank since thats pretty bad. These motors are super cheap. i got my sei for 100. RUnning. so shouldnt be a problem

-$MOKIN-
04-21-2011, 10:39 AM
OK WELL I GOT A LITTLE TIME FOR THE HONDA TODAY.. I changed the oil and didnt see any shaving at all. And i did notice that the 3 middle exhaust manifold bolts are all three stripped so maybe thats where the knocking is coming from. Non of them are tight at all. anyone else think that the knocking could be form this..?
I can start it becuase my freaking crankshaft pully isnt there anymore some how the damn thing popped off and my batterie is dead im goign to go to a lil shop down the street and see what they say,
I might have to pull off the manifold and then re thread the holes. I have never done this before anyone got any ideas or know how to do it get at me
Also how in the hell did my crank shaft pully off ? is it easy to replace?

get at me people .Do ya think its jsut the damn exhaust maifold knocking on my block ?

car6289
04-21-2011, 11:11 AM
OK WELL I GOT A LITTLE TIME FOR THE HONDA TODAY.. I changed the oil and didnt see any shaving at all. And i did notice that the 3 middle exhaust manifold bolts are all three stripped so maybe thats where the knocking is coming from. Non of them are tight at all. anyone else think that the knocking could be form this..?
I can start it becuase my freaking crankshaft pully isnt there anymore some how the damn thing popped off and my batterie is dead im goign to go to a lil shop down the street and see what they say,
I might have to pull off the manifold and then re thread the holes. I have never done this before anyone got any ideas or know how to do it get at me
Also how in the hell did my crank shaft pully off ? is it easy to replace?

get at me people .Do ya think its jsut the damn exhaust maifold knocking on my block ?

Three loose exhaust manifold nuts/studs not likely the cause of your knocking, considering what you were doing (multiple donuts) before the knocking started. Still anything is possible. Replace or repair your exhaust studs/nuts as necessary. Replace exhaust gaskets while you have things apart. If the knocking goes away, you got off easy; if knocking persists, go deeper.

Your crank pulley is held on to the end of the crankshaft by a bolt. The bolt either backed out {not likely if it was properly torqued (108 lb ft)}, the bolt broke, bolt threads failed, threads in crankshaft nfg, the pulley itself failed somehow. Do you have the pulley? Do you have the bolt and washer? Do you have the small parallel key? If you have the four items. Install the key, pulley, bolt and washer and torque to 108 lb ft. Install accessory belts.

-$MOKIN-
04-21-2011, 11:20 AM
the actual pully itself broke the bolt is still there it broke on the inside ring part. so u dont think with all the 3 bolts being loose that it would make a knocking sound? the three in the middle are all loose and stripped

car6289
04-21-2011, 11:54 AM
I'm not saying it's impossible, just highly unlikely it's the exhaust manifold. The knocking could have been caused by your crank pulley before it broke. Look around the area that the crank pulley resides for damage. If the pulley was wobbling around for a while before it failed it could have left evidence of impact with things around its plane of wobbling rotation. Your knocking sound perhaps?
You obviously need a replacement pulley before you can proceed with you knocking hunt.

-$MOKIN-
04-21-2011, 01:07 PM
For some reason i have to keep thinking that its the manifold binging up against my head .
Even after it started knocking i drove it a couple times .
The first time i drove it i stopped and floored it to like 50 and it was knocking but it didnt loose any power or blow up on me..
Then a couple weeks later i took it for a little drive got on the highway for like 5 miles even. On the way back from my friends house it was still knocking but running normal and i heard a bad noise from the engine area ... I was like o shit its going to blow now......lol
:thumbdn:
So i gasses on it to make it home. It started to over heat so i jsut thought my alternator water pump belt broke and hit my fire wall and made the noise and never even checked to see if the crank shaft pully was gone .
A couple days later i was like ok i gotta get her going and went to auto zone and got some oil a filter and a new belt. Changed the oil and then when i was doing the belt i noticed it was gone..
But im glad i got that video and after watching it im thinking that its is possible its jsut those bolts loose..I think when i drove it a little hazardy :devil: that it just loosened up a shit load of bolts
Sorta crazy how my pully broke .

But yeah man im hopin it jsut those bolts ..

And i can run it if my batterie wasnt dead as long as i dont run it to much ,but yeah i need that pully but im not going to get it if it still knocks.

But its down to it i need to make sure that its just not the manifold knocking the block ..

So wtf can i do ? All three bolts are stripped i really dont want to take the manifold off.

lostforawhile
04-21-2011, 02:19 PM
it sounds like your crank pulley, if it completely broke off the center of the mounting flange, there's a good chance it was flexing all over the place on the end of the crank, it might have been bent and hitting something, how did you drive around all that time, and not notice your crank pulley was gone? since the water pump wasn't turning, the head is probably warped or cracked from overheating, or other damage happened, you didn't notice the alternator light on or the temp gauge pegged out? :stick: it's a good idea in the future, if you think a belt is gone or the engine is overheating, or it's making a really bad noise, at least open the hood and :eek: look!! you originally had to buy a pulley, more then likely you now have major damage to fix, the one thing that will kill these engines faster then anything, is to drive them while overheating! one of the toughest engines Honda ever made, but overheating will kill them

2oodoor
04-21-2011, 02:32 PM
wow a million donuts is a lot, come to think of it if I did even a hundred, no even fifty............

I would fully not be surprized my car broke, in fact I would I expect it. good luck

lostforawhile
04-21-2011, 02:35 PM
wow a million donuts is a lot

I guess the horrible noise of the crank pulley breaking off it's hub followed by the huge CLANG of it hitting the road, went unnoticed, that had to be one hell of a racket :banghead:
And i can run it if my batterie wasnt dead as long as i dont run it to much ,but yeah i need that pully but im not going to get it if it still knocks. quit running it!! you have no cooling system, the main or rod bearings are likely knocking now, since there was no coolant circulation, and you continued to drive it, the only thing acting as a cooling system was the oil, which probably broke down after a while. the oil pressure light won't come on until 3 psi, too late to prevent damage

-$MOKIN-
04-21-2011, 02:46 PM
The crank pulley broke off the second time i drove it after
it started knocking . I wanted to drive it to see if it would blow up and when the pulley broke at first i thought it was getting ready to cease up , but when i gassed on it the light came on and i didnt have to drive to far to get it home so it wasnt running hot too long.
And yes it still knocks with the pulley gone and there is no sign of the pulley hitting anything where it spins . The pulley is broke right behind the bolt and basically its jsut a little rust washer now. You can see rust on it.

But back to the solution ..

How can i get the manifold head bolts to tighten up without taking the manifold off jsut to check it ?
Can i throw in bolts one size bigger just to tighten the manifold ?
Maybe j b weld thses bolts back in it over night?
somehting quick i can try to get it tight

If u listen to the video i post u can hear it like a exhaust leak at the beginning when its putting .

lostforawhile
04-21-2011, 02:49 PM
The crank pulley broke off the second time i drove it after
it started knocking . I wanted to drive it to see if it would blow up and when the pulley broke at first i thought it was getting ready to cease up , but when i gassed on it the light came on and i didnt have to drive to far to get it home so it wasnt running hot too long.
And yes it still knocks with the pulley gone and there is no sign of the pulley hitting anything where it spins . The pulley is broke right behind the bolt and basically its jsut a little rust washer now. You can see rust on it.

But back to the solution ..

How can i get the manifold head bolts to tighten up without taking the manifold off jsut to check it ?
Can i throw in bolts one size bigger just to tighten the manifold ?
Maybe j b weld thses bolts back in it over night?
somehting quick i can try to get it tight

If u listen to the video i post u can hear it like a exhaust leak at the beginning when its putting .
you need to see if the knocking is coming from near the crank near where the pulley was, if the pulley flexed so much it broke, the main bearing near the crank may be ruined, that's a heck of a lot of vibration to transmit to the crank, you probably had a crank pulley ready to fail, and all that revving up doing donuts took it out. I think at this moment fixing the manifold studs is the last of your problems

-$MOKIN-
04-21-2011, 03:29 PM
I got another motor for it lined up already just got to pick it up. But id liek to know for sure its not the manifold knocking .

Dr_Snooz
04-21-2011, 09:36 PM
I guess the horrible noise of the crank pulley breaking off it's hub followed by the huge CLANG of it hitting the road, went unnoticed, that had to be one hell of a racket :banghead: \

You wouldn't hear a thing if you were just trolling...

lostforawhile
04-21-2011, 09:40 PM
I got another motor for it lined up already just got to pick it up. But id liek to know for sure its not the manifold knocking .

from listening to that video, I don't think it's just the manifold, if that crank pulley was breaking off, it would have been hammering the main bearing right next to it like an impact wrench, thats probably what you are hearing knocking now. the material coating the bearing shells is soft, with that pulley way out of balance and coming off the shaft , the end of the crank would have been resonating and just eaten up that bearing material, I wouldn't be suprised if there are cracks in the crankk on that end now.

forrest89sei
04-21-2011, 09:44 PM
Good Luck on the Motor Swap,

Be Smart, Look at your Temp Guage!

And If your battery light is coming on it means something is up...

Demon1024
04-21-2011, 09:46 PM
^^^ 2x

:) /hiya!

Google "tap and DIE set" or "re-threading stripped THREADS"

lostforawhile
04-21-2011, 09:56 PM
on the threads it always seems to be the center ones, they need to be heilicoiled, if you helicoil at 5/16-18, you can use a standard 5/16-18 - 5/16-24 fine coarse exhaust stud, it will work with the factory manifold

car6289
04-22-2011, 05:53 AM
For some reason i have to keep thinking that its the manifold binging up against my head .
Even after it started knocking i drove it a couple times .
The first time i drove it i stopped and floored it to like 50 and it was knocking but it didnt loose any power or blow up on me..
Then a couple weeks later i took it for a little drive got on the highway for like 5 miles even. On the way back from my friends house it was still knocking but running normal and i heard a bad noise from the engine area ... I was like o shit its going to blow now......lol
So i gasses on it to make it home. It started to over heat so i jsut thought my alternator water pump belt broke and hit my fire wall and made the noise and never even checked to see if the crank shaft pully was gone .
A couple days later i was like ok i gotta get her going and went to auto zone and got some oil a filter and a new belt. Changed the oil and then when i was doing the belt i noticed it was gone..
But im glad i got that video and after watching it im thinking that its is possible its jsut those bolts loose..I think when i drove it a little hazardy :devil: that it just loosened up a shit load of bolts
Sorta crazy how my pully broke .

But yeah man im hopin it jsut those bolts ..

And i can run it if my batterie wasnt dead as long as i dont run it to much ,but yeah i need that pully but im not going to get it if it still knocks.

But its down to it i need to make sure that its just not the manifold knocking the block ..

So wtf can i do ? All three bolts are stripped i really dont want to take the manifold off.

And now .................................. for the rest of the story.
An engine change is now inevitable.
As for the exhaust manifold knocking, leave the same three nuts loose when you install the new engine and listen for knocking. I think you will be disappointed.

-$MOKIN-
04-23-2011, 04:13 PM
YUP YUP ....ITS DEAD ..

There was big hope today as i got a neighbor to jump me real quick after i got one bolt tight and 2 other snug to see what its sounding like. It deffenlty wasnt it..It was a big hope but nope .

So back to the swap....

And i found another problem the radiator is broke on the top and u can see the core. So i gotta grab a raditor form the JY. Im going to fill up a drawer on my box with new looking bolts and clamps for my swap .

So back to this..
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75385

TotaledTL
04-23-2011, 07:22 PM
I wouldn't depend on a junkyd. radiator- guess you could pressure test it first. A new one isn't terribly expensive.

lostforawhile
04-23-2011, 07:27 PM
I wouldn't depend on a junkyd. radiator- guess you could pressure test it first. A new one isn't terribly expensive.

if the cooling system it came from is clean, it's probably just fine