PDA

View Full Version : my two new discoveries -Stock Carb

Buzo
03-09-2011, 08:11 PM
1.- Sturging engine at 30-40 MPH => Loose ventury boosters.
There is not much explanation needed here. Instead of sucking fuel from the bowl, it was sucking air. I changed the orings and re-tightened.

2.- Knocking engine => Air jet controller.
First ran the engine with the three (A,B &C) ports blocked off and the car was great. Then put the air jet controller in the car and starter to act like if there was a vacuum leak. And the knocking noise got back. Removed the air controller and the car is OK again. Just found the valves inside the air jet are always open, so there was an actual vacuum leak making the mix too lean. Don't know if the bellows inside the thing is broken, or it is just missadjusted. Need to test it somehow. At least myself, all the times I heard "knock" I thought "timing", but its actually a lean mix the cause of the knocking -in my case-.

Sorry for creating a new post with this information that many of you already know, what happen is that I have read so many others with these same problems so considered important.

Dr_Snooz
03-09-2011, 09:20 PM
3. Weber replacement => :D

LOL

charliekuney
03-09-2011, 09:45 PM
Alternative 3. Fuel-injection. :D

2oodoor
03-10-2011, 02:23 AM
find another holley weber, ive found several webers in the junkyard, you have to just look under the hood of almost any import car that had a four cyl made in the 80's . Coincedently two I have got were in mazda trucks, one in an opal GT.
These carbs were used as direct aftermarket replacement carbs for a huge list of applications during that period. Asian carbs were replaced with webers by the thousands during the 80's, there were so many issues that technicians just could not address on many Nissans, Toyotas, Mazda in particular (including Ford Courier)
Not to mention all the 2.0, 2.3, 2.8 Ford engines that came OEM with them.
I definatley would stay away from the carbs from Chrysler Dodge K cars, those are different and have computer cont. devices associated with drivability. Im not sure exact differences there, but I know the ecm has a vaccuum hose going into it on those.

Buzo you are working towards being our resident expert on the factory carbs, not many here have bothered to study it as extensively a you. Very admirable, and thank you.

AccordB20A
03-10-2011, 12:48 PM
so what explains rough as fuck idle yet it drives sweet? im about to put the hammer though my white cars carb lol

Dr_Snooz
03-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Vacuum leak.

AccordB20A
03-11-2011, 01:42 PM
yeah thats what i thought but i cant seem to find ne in the 500,000 pipes there are on it haha

i think ill pawn it off to someone else....

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=360774185

okay i fixed it, the PCV valve was fucked, letting air straight through it (not acting as a one way valve like it should) missing engine no more!! chur

Dr_Snooz
03-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Nice!

b345tifall
03-14-2011, 08:01 PM
iv seen a few 32/36s in jeeps

Buzo
03-14-2011, 08:15 PM
so what explains rough as fuck idle yet it drives sweet? im about to put the hammer though my white cars carb lol

As I said in my discovery#2, the air jet controller was the cause of the 95% of my problems. It hides the vacuum leak since it is not in the hoses, but inside the device, so you can't see pinched hoses or anything visual.

This air jet controller is there to compensate altitude changes, if you are running the car from the mountains to the beach, fix it, if you use it only for city drive, plug the three hoses up and you will see the difference. Your car may run richier, but not that much to see an actual effect in your pocket.

Buzo
03-14-2011, 08:22 PM
find another holley weber, ive found several webers in the junkyard, you have to just look under the hood of almost any import car that had a four cyl made in the 80's . Coincedently two I have got were in mazda trucks, one in an opal GT.
These carbs were used as direct aftermarket replacement carbs for a huge list of applications during that period. Asian carbs were replaced with webers by the thousands during the 80's, there were so many issues that technicians just could not address on many Nissans, Toyotas, Mazda in particular (including Ford Courier)
Not to mention all the 2.0, 2.3, 2.8 Ford engines that came OEM with them.
I definatley would stay away from the carbs from Chrysler Dodge K cars, those are different and have computer cont. devices associated with drivability. Im not sure exact differences there, but I know the ecm has a vaccuum hose going into it on those.

Buzo you are working towards being our resident expert on the factory carbs, not many here have bothered to study it as extensively a you. Very admirable, and thank you.

Thanks Rodo, you know, I can afford a brand new weber, but when I swapped to the Holley for two weeks, I got bored too soon.
However, I learned that starting over with the stock carb and connecting one system at the time will let you find the source of the problems, while your car is still bringing you back and forth from work. So far, I am in the stage 1 vacuum removal, meaning my vacuum choke system is back and working as intended.

Buzo
03-14-2011, 08:47 PM
3. Weber replacement => :D

LOL

4.- Back to my full-size Toyota Tundra CrewMax :kekeke:

lostforawhile
03-14-2011, 09:17 PM
I used to do a lot with the stock carb, then one day I asked myself, why? There used to be bike jets that would fit these, but it's been so long I can't remember which Honda it came from, I do know they came from Keihin bike carbs