PDA

View Full Version : About to trash my car!!

JDMPrelude23
03-10-2011, 03:32 PM
3 Months already and my car still aint starting.. I got new spark plugs because there was no spark.. then fuel was the problem so i brought a new fuel pump and filter, and cleaned out every fuel injector and still nothing.. even changed the main EFI relay and still nothing. I also got the timing right... my CEL doesnt even come on when i put the ignition to key on.

Anybody knows what else i should try doing before i trash it???

Bglad420
03-10-2011, 03:51 PM
Ecu

2ndGenGuy
03-10-2011, 04:41 PM
Does it run on starting fluid at all?

JDMPrelude23
03-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Does it run on starting fluid at all?

Na i tried that.. plus i heard starting fluid on fuel injected cars are bad, they're only good for carb engines.

Ecu

I would have check and find out, i dont even know where thats at or how to remove/replace it.... engine got like 60k but body has 240+k... so yea maybe the ecu could be out

ShyBoyCA6
03-10-2011, 06:22 PM
checked the fuse? fuel pump and injector fuses and also could be a short not giving power. try these 3 first, if the is Ecu doesn't work the LED light should stay a steady light and not doesn't blink then you got a faulty ecu and need to replace. i dont know how the prelude ecu works but before you spend money check the first three i listed if already checked then replace the ecu.

88lxi-shortram
03-10-2011, 06:54 PM
It should be under the seat... I think

kentwat
03-10-2011, 08:47 PM
Here is all of the info.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26342

2ndGenGuy
03-11-2011, 09:30 AM
Na i tried that.. plus i heard starting fluid on fuel injected cars are bad, they're only good for carb engines.

Starting fluid won't do anything to a fuel injected car that it wouldn't do to a carb'd car. If you spray it in, and the car starts and runs for a few seconds on the fluid, then you know you still have fuel delivery problems.

JDMPrelude23
03-11-2011, 10:50 AM
here is all of the info.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26342

yea i tried this and i get no blinks, its just stays off

checked the fuse? Fuel pump and injector fuses and also could be a short not giving power. Try these 3 first, if the is ecu doesn't work the led light should stay a steady light and not doesn't blink then you got a faulty ecu and need to replace. I dont know how the prelude ecu works but before you spend money check the first three i listed if already checked then replace the ecu.

yea i tried all the fuses, replace most of them with smart fuses just to make sure, even brought a new efi main relay and still nothing... (i have an 89 lxi btw, i dont have the prelude no more)

it should be under the seat... I think

found it, thanks!!

Nafs Asdf
03-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Have you checked if the bulb in the CEL is ok? If it is, sounds like your ECU is fried (or has bad connections).

stat1K
03-11-2011, 12:56 PM
does the car crank?

stat1K
03-12-2011, 04:35 PM
can't help if you don't answer?

ecogabriel
03-12-2011, 04:53 PM
Check your PGM-FI light on the dashboard. Or better yet, listen for "noises" when you turn the key to ON

A normal starnting sequence would do the following:

When the key is turned to ON, you should hear a humming noise coming from behind you; the fuel pump pressurizes the fuel lines.
It is not a loud sound but if you listen to it you'll hear it. That will happen for about two-three seconds at most; when the ECU senses the engine not running the fuel pump is turned off -but the fuel lines remain pressurized anyway.

At that time, the dashboard light turns itself off and you may hear a click coming from the main relay.

Check the ECU for codes (the code list is somewhere in the website).

There is a littke plastic cover in the ECU's side side that points to the rear seats; remove it from the top and you will see a window.

The LED on the other side may blink, remain off, or stay ON continuously. Whatever it does come back and tell us; count the blinks if it is indeed blinking.

Notice that the ECU may be flashing more than one code; it will blink them in sequence separated with a short pause. Observe it for a little while and you'll pick up how it works.

Hope it helps

JDMPrelude23
03-12-2011, 05:36 PM
Have you checked if the bulb in the CEL is ok? If it is, sounds like your ECU is fried (or has bad connections).

Thats what im thinking, Ima have my ECU rebuilt

does the car crank?

Car does crank, strong too, just doesnt turn over

JDMPrelude23
03-12-2011, 05:37 PM
Check your PGM-FI light on the dashboard. Or better yet, listen for "noises" when you turn the key to ON

A normal starnting sequence would do the following:

When the key is turned to ON, you should hear a humming noise coming from behind you; the fuel pump pressurizes the fuel lines.
It is not a loud sound but if you listen to it you'll hear it. That will happen for about two-three seconds at most; when the ECU senses the engine not running the fuel pump is turned off -but the fuel lines remain pressurized anyway.

At that time, the dashboard light turns itself off and you may hear a click coming from the main relay.

Check the ECU for codes (the code list is somewhere in the website).

There is a littke plastic cover in the ECU's side side that points to the rear seats; remove it from the top and you will see a window.

The LED on the other side may blink, remain off, or stay ON continuously. Whatever it does come back and tell us; count the blinks if it is indeed blinking.

Notice that the ECU may be flashing more than one code; it will blink them in sequence separated with a short pause. Observe it for a little while and you'll pick up how it works.

Hope it helps

Yea man i tried this, the light doesnt come on, the fuel pump doesnt turn on.. i even changed the EFI main relay

1813mdw
03-12-2011, 05:54 PM
you can usually find ecus for about $30+ shipping on ebay. i think it'd be alot cheaper for you than to get it rebuilt. any ecu from an 88-89 accord will work(automatic or 5speed). sounds alot like what my car did when my ecu went out. check for moisture around it when you pull it out

Vanilla Sky
03-12-2011, 06:33 PM
I'd try to find a known good ECU before dumping much money in a rebuild. I'd hate to see someone dump a tidy sum of money in something just to find out that it wasn't the problem.

lostforawhile
03-12-2011, 06:41 PM
if the check engine light doesn't come on, and the ecu is doing nothing, check to make sure there is power and ground at the ecu itself, does the main relay even switch on? it's controlled by the ecu, you need to check the ecu ground, and verify power is even reaching it. I think the ecu ground is under the passenger seat, don't quote me on that. I believe the lude and the accord share the same ecu as far as the A20

1813mdw
03-12-2011, 07:22 PM
the ecu ground is under the driver seat right next to the ecu. when my ecu went out my cel stayed lit no matter what. i'm not saying your ecu is def not the problem but i'd check for power and ground first

89T
03-12-2011, 07:41 PM
power should be in the fuse box under the hood.

stat1K
03-13-2011, 08:48 AM
so you got new spark plugs because there was no spark, did that fix the spark or is there still no spark?

1813mdw
03-13-2011, 01:00 PM

knarg
03-16-2011, 12:31 AM
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/startproblems.html

Demon1024
03-16-2011, 04:27 AM
might check your ignition switch too

If not that go to the manual and test from the no start there. Prolly take an ohmmeter and some time but you'll find it

stat1K
03-16-2011, 06:18 AM
it shouldn't crank or do anything if his ignition switch is dead.

if it cranks and doesn't start and has no spark i'd lean to an ignition module in the distributor or his coil. the coil is a super common failure on these cars. so is the main relay (which he replaceD) or the fuel pump.

but with little to no information about diagnostics done or results achieved it's pretty hard to help isolate the specific problem. i guess he should just "trash" it.

knarg
03-16-2011, 03:43 PM
If the car stalls when you return the key to the "II" position, then it's likely the ignition switch. The electrical contact ring wears out in this position. Try holding the key between II and III if it starts.

2ndGenGuy
03-16-2011, 04:06 PM
but with little to no information about diagnostics done or results achieved it's pretty hard to help isolate the specific problem. i guess he should just "trash" it.

Yeah I can't tell wtf is going on here...

JDMPrelude23
03-26-2011, 01:35 PM
Thanks ya all for ya input.... i do have spark but no fuel is being applied for some reason. I replaced fuel pump and main relay (efi relay) i even cleaned out all my injectors. (i have an 89 accord lxi by the way, not the prelude) i was told it was the ECU to replace it.. i tried 3 ECU's, 89 civic, 90 civic and 89 legend, but still the check engine light doesnt come on and it cranks but doesnt turn over. I have ground all over, i use a test light to confirm, but how can i check for ground directly at the ECU??

lostforawhile
03-26-2011, 02:46 PM
Thanks ya all for ya input.... i do have spark but no fuel is being applied for some reason. I replaced fuel pump and main relay (efi relay) i even cleaned out all my injectors. (i have an 89 accord lxi by the way, not the prelude) i was told it was the ECU to replace it.. i tried 3 ECU's, 89 civic, 90 civic and 89 legend, but still the check engine light doesnt come on and it cranks but doesnt turn over. I have ground all over, i use a test light to confirm, but how can i check for ground directly at the ECU??

why don't you use the correct ECU for the car?

Dr_Snooz
03-27-2011, 04:28 PM
^^^ x2

JDMPrelude23
03-28-2011, 02:51 PM
thank you all for ya comments.. I finally found the problem... the ground wire that comes from the fuel injectors, that screw, was loose. So it wasnt making contact so it wasnt getting ground.. I tightened the screw, turn the key to ignition 2, CEL came out for 2 seconds, then it started right up! :-)

1 screw caused all this crap that had me on train for 3 months, SMH

89T
03-28-2011, 03:23 PM
Rule of thumb... k.i.s.s.

power-ground-fuse

MessyHonda
03-28-2011, 06:31 PM
i hope now you love your car

forrest89sei
03-28-2011, 11:56 PM
Congrats on finding the problem, EFI Cars are really picky when it comes to the grounds, when it doubt, GROUNDS! :rockon:

-$MOKIN-
03-29-2011, 12:46 AM
I bet you was jumping around ...lol

JDMPrelude23
03-30-2011, 04:53 AM
Yea, thanks ya... I went around changing all the ground wires to thicker gauges, the battery post one and the valve cover to radiator support. then i looked around for more and saw that ground screw loose... I was so tight that 1 screw was causing all this... but hey i at least now i got a new fuel pump and EFI main relay, and battery, and ground wires lol