PDA

View Full Version : no start problem, 89 dx 2dr

anubis_4_99
03-10-2011, 07:41 PM
ok, so i've had a pretty crappy night so far lol

tried to take the accord on its first extended journey since i bought it, and apparently it had other plans. blew a tire goin 70, no big deal i think to myself, pull over and get ready to put the spare on.

get my tire all taken off and spare mounted and car lowered when i see a hole in the sidewall. well two hours later i have someone bring me a new tire and get fixed up.

previous to that though i hooked up a 750W power inverter to my car to power my grinder with a cut off disc to get the old tire off the rim, the accord however didnt seem to like this, but dealt with it.

after i shut it off when i was done, about 20 mins later tried to start it, turned the key, and rotated to the "start position" and nothing.

no click, no dimming of lights, nothing. thought maybe i fried my starter or something related with the use of my inverter. so turned the ignition to the "on" position and used my trusty screwdriver to arc the starter, and she fires.

i checked under hood fuses and wiring, and its too dark right now and my shop light is dead so cant check the inside untill tomorrow

but untill then wanted to see if anyone had a direction to suggest i look in if fuses and wiring check out?

sorry for the long post, guess i needed to vent lol

anubis_4_99
03-11-2011, 05:45 AM
also forgot to mention i busted a wheel stud on the rear taking off my tire, lug got siezed on it.

anyone point me in the right direction of removing the drum so i can replace it?

Xaisk
03-11-2011, 06:02 AM
First thing you do is check fuses and wiring. Second thing you always do when a starter has a problem is take it to a place to get checked. Its free
Im sure you will find your problem amongst those items but if not feel free to repost.

Oldblueaccord
03-11-2011, 06:19 AM
I think you just blew a fuse somewhere on the system using the inverter,more importantly a grinder on it. I'm pretty sure a grinder pulls pretty good amps and the inrush when you turn it on cold be 2 x's its rating.

Check the fuses under the hood fuse box. You proved the starter worked since you jumped it and it ran and I assumed the alt. recharged the battery.

I would look how you ran the inverter,wiring used, and hows its fused. I also would double check a 750w inverter can or cannot run a grinder.

wp

anubis_4_99
03-11-2011, 01:57 PM
I think you just blew a fuse somewhere on the system using the inverter,more importantly a grinder on it. I'm pretty sure a grinder pulls pretty good amps and the inrush when you turn it on cold be 2 x's its rating.

Check the fuses under the hood fuse box. You proved the starter worked since you jumped it and it ran and I assumed the alt. recharged the battery.

I would look how you ran the inverter,wiring used, and hows its fused. I also would double check a 750w inverter can or cannot run a grinder.

wp

well the inverter didnt LIKE running the grinder, but it ran it anyway lol, i just got home from work so im heading out in a few to check fuses

i didnt think much about running the inverter because i've ran it on multiple vehicles (explorer, civic, kia, sentra, integra) without problems, the accord just doesnt like it i suppose

Xaisk, i checked all under hood last night, by the time i got done with that it was too dark to see much of anything with a dead flashlight so had to wait untill i got home from work today, to check the inside. fuses and wiring were my first spot.

as for the starter, i know it works since i arc'd it out and drove it home last night, so until my other options are exhausted i dont plan to remove the starter to have it tested since i really hate working on starters on these things

thanks for the ideas guys, i'll give an update when i find what the cause is

stat1K
03-11-2011, 02:28 PM
so if you turn the key forward and you don't get any clicks or beeps or lights either your ignition switch is bad or you killed your battery... now did the ignition swtich work that day when you started it?

anubis_4_99
03-11-2011, 03:18 PM
well apparently there was no problem, went out and started right up

the ignition is new, and so is the battery