PDA

View Full Version : hatch tail light gaskets

VIPER1988
03-13-2011, 04:53 PM
majestic no longer carries them. where else can i get some? thanks

charliekuney
03-13-2011, 04:55 PM
Honda dealer? I would say a junkyard but they're impossible to get off without tearing them after 22+ years.

1813mdw
03-13-2011, 05:17 PM
if you cannot find them at the dealership you could always make your own.

VIPER1988
03-13-2011, 05:18 PM
guess ill have to make my own. non of the dealers have them for the hatchies anymore

lostforawhile
03-13-2011, 05:24 PM
I have originals that aren't torn, I may get some material later this month and make some, how soon do you need them? it's just a type of sheet foam

Dr_Snooz
03-13-2011, 05:55 PM
My 4g taillights have started leaking again after just a few years. The 3g also leaks to a lesser degree. I find the flimsy foam gaskets to be less than perfect and also quite expensive at $15/each. I'm about to go after the 4g with a tube of silicone or RTV black. Then I will be sure it won't start leaking again in a few years.

lostforawhile
03-13-2011, 05:59 PM
My 4g taillights have started leaking again after just a few years. The 3g also leaks to a lesser degree. I find the flimsy foam gaskets to be less than perfect and also quite expensive at $15/each. I'm about to go after the 4g with a tube of silicone or RTV black. Then I will be sure it won't start leaking again in a few years.

it depends on the material you use, anything will work as long as the thickness is correct, neoprene would be the best

lostforawhile
03-16-2011, 05:55 PM
I went out there and found both gaskets, they are both in really good shape, anyone know how I would scan one and save the file for actual size? If I can figure that out, I can make a download where you can print a pattern, I don't think you could do it on a standard printer though, the gasket is longer then most paper. I would go to the UPS store and have a bunch of copies made, but someone torched our new store

Legend_master
02-23-2012, 09:28 AM
Did this ever happen? I am in need of some Gaskets for my hatch.

Dr_Snooz
02-23-2012, 08:43 PM
I actually did go after the 4g with a tube of silicone. I threw out the old leaky gaskets and squirted up the sealing surface behind the taillight with a thick bead of silicone. The old gaskets left a pretty obvious line where the taillight sealing surface contacted. Nevertheless, I was very generous with the silicone because the sealing surface is only 1/16" wide and I didn't want to miss any of it. We've had very little rain this year but so far, they have worked great. I'll definitely be doing it to the 3g when the time comes.

import racer
02-24-2012, 04:19 PM
I've seen some workout mats at canadian tire that I thought would work for making some,just haven't got chance to try it.

89HatchbackLxi
02-25-2012, 05:20 PM
Did this ever happen? I am in need of some Gaskets for my hatch.

I made a new one from one of my existing gaskets a few months ago. Didn't see this post then. I can make a copy of the pattern from the original if you would like.

lostforawhile
02-25-2012, 07:45 PM
You can get the foam material from MSC they are simple to make