PDA

View Full Version : crappy idle, can this be the problem?? Pic inside

rvd
03-13-2011, 08:49 PM
I bought this car like this, and I know how the lines are supposed to run, but I just dont know why this throttle actuator has been excluded, can I clean it and reinstall it? Thanks, Im new to carbs this is my first. Im thinking this is the reason my car is idling like crap.....

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i64/robs90tsi/IMAG0018.jpg

Buzo
03-14-2011, 07:53 PM
It's going to be more than one thing the cause of your Idle problems.

I can't see in the picture where the broken hose with a white tape is connected to, but it carryes vaccum. Replace it. Or just plugg it for testing purposes, then when your idle gets normal, you can worry about it.

The port that has a missing hose is not a vacuum source, it receives vacuum from somewhere else to open the choke plate. It won't cause you Idle issues.

rvd
03-15-2011, 05:11 AM
the hose with tape isnt going to anything, the hose overlapping the hose with tape is supposed to go to the port that has nothing on it, and the hose with tape is supposed to attach where the overlapping hose is running to now, basically whoever owned this car before me cut the actuator out of the vacuum system

Xaisk
03-15-2011, 10:22 AM
Thats very interesting. If you go to a junkyard you can find an actuator and probally the proper wires and things that are needed to reinstall it to the system. It shouldnt be more than 10 minutes to get the parts pulled. Install them to your car and see if that helps.

g.frost
03-15-2011, 12:29 PM
That thing is called a 'choke opener' and will not function the way it is hooked up. Download the manual and look up the section on vacuum connections (section 12) to sort the it out. (or if you can follow the diagram under the hood....)

The hose that is hooked up should be labeled 26, and does little but keep the choke closed while cranking to start (opens a 'vacuum leak valve). It goes to the black box and if that valve is leaking it could just be capped off.

The port with nothing connected to it should be labeled 18, and goes to thermovalve A.
.....here's the rub though; that line supplies vacuum to thermovalve A (it gets vacuum source through the carb), so you can't just disconnect it without messing up other things...

The diaphram in the choke opener, if it is original, is likely leaking. I had to replace mine a year ago or so. Not sure I would trust a junk yard replacement but they can be tested with a vacuum pump after first removing it from the carb to plug the vac port.

rvd
03-15-2011, 03:46 PM
looks original......can you buy a new one??

I have no choice but to hook it back up and see what happens, I know how its supposed to be hooked up.

g.frost
03-15-2011, 07:13 PM
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=ACCORD&catcgry2=1988&catcgry3=4DR+DX&catcgry4=KL5MT&catcgry5=CARBURETOR

I got mine from Majestic Honda but now listed as 'may be discontinued'.

rvd
03-15-2011, 07:47 PM
I found one on hondapartsnow, but I dont know if i want to spend the $$ on it, im gonna hook it back up and see how it runs, Im betting almost every seal/diaphram is bad my car has bad vacuum leaks, i dont know where yet I will when I get my distributor cap back on, hopefully took away the misfire..