PDA

View Full Version : Vibration problem under load (Not 3g related)

carotman
03-16-2011, 12:31 PM
Well, my Gf's car has been having a strange vibration problem. She's got an 98 Accord with an H22A powerplant.

Once the car has warmed you can feel the steering vibrate under load. If you let off the gas, the vibration mostly stops. It only happens when the car has warmed up.

It won't vibrate at low speeds, only above 40 mph or so and only when the car has done some miles. It won't shake if I rev the engine at a stoplight.

At first, I thought it was the left side axle that had a problem. We got a reman unit and it solved the problem for like 3 weeks. I thought that was it but now, it's shaking again.

Could it be a bad axle... again? There's no grinding or humming sound of any sort. It's just shaking.

I plan to check the intermediate shaft and engine mounts for excessive play.

Anyone thinks of other things I should check? I know reman units aren't the best but still...

anubis_4_99
03-16-2011, 05:45 PM
remand parts are a crap shoot. its possible its bad again

definitely check your mounts

also maybe check your wheel bearings for play?

Dr_Snooz
03-16-2011, 07:11 PM
Have you had any transmission trouble? That generation of Accords is pretty famous for that.

anubis_4_99
03-16-2011, 07:24 PM
it has an H22, doubtful he kept the stock transmission, although from what i've heard the H trannys are pretty weak too

carotman
03-18-2011, 06:32 AM
Yeah, it's an H22A tranny. I'm not sure if the engine sits right in the bay. I didn't do the swap myself, we bought the car this way.

I'll check the mounts.

Thanks guys.

2oodoor
03-18-2011, 09:13 AM
oh so let's use logic.

Vibration is Strange
It is felt on the steering (steering wheel? as in column or more maybe outside?)
does this mean it is not felt or seen on an empty passenger seat or the dash?

No low speed issues with this nor does it happen when the car is cold.
Only at 40 mph and above (in any gear at that same speed?)
The vibration seems to subside if not stop completley when you let off gas.

From that info I would guess: ATF fluid needs changing, or a sloppy shift solenoid, if it is an automatic. Pressure plate or input shaft problem if it is a manual.

But, this would be felt in more than the steering wheel, it would be a transfered vibration that would be kind of symphonic around the whole front clip.

Tire issue, possible could be air pressure, or many other problems that would be happening only when the wheel is in torque thrust so to speak.

Do you keep your communication device in your front shirt pocket? just kidding... need a few more details to help much more.

carotman
03-18-2011, 09:33 AM
The car is manual

You can feel the vibration mostly in the steering wheel but it transfers to the car body as well.

I will try to swap the tires around and see if it changes anything.

Rendon LX-i
03-18-2011, 09:51 AM
my buddy has a h22a in his eg. Same problem Swapped out mounts. half shalfs and the middle shalf idk whats its called . BUt still shaked like a mofo. It was a bearing in the tranny. He there for swapped it out with a F22 tranny. BUt it wasnt horrible but he didnt like it.

2oodoor
03-18-2011, 11:14 AM
H22 uses a balance shaft for the engine, hopefully not this ... how long has this vibration been occuring?
Can you make it duplicate the vibration in neutral by slowly finding an rpm that does it?
Timing belt been replaced lately?
much slop in it? inspect it with cover off and flashlight shining down in the lower cover...running

carotman
03-18-2011, 11:16 AM
Damn, I guess a bearing could do something similar but what troubles me is that there isn't any noise *yet* coming from the front end.

The "good" part is that it can only get worse and the worse it gets, the easier it is to pinpoint.

I can rev the engine in neutral and it won't shake or anything.

2oodoor
03-18-2011, 12:49 PM
so, same speed , any gear same thing?

A few things you can do until... get an infrared thermometer like a raytech, there are a bunch of less expenesive brands that work just as well. Go around the car with it and observe temperatures of tires, brake parts, valve cover area, accessory area.. and make comparative notes for data.
A wonderful tool you can use for all kinds of things.

Look under the hood for missing rubber isolaters and such for the hood, look for any recent work done, maybe a loose PS pump bolt and such. Moving tires is a really good idea for diagnosing this so cool.

carotman
03-18-2011, 03:42 PM
Nothing was serviced recently on the car.

The thermometer is a great idea! Never thought of that. :D

AccordEpicenter
03-18-2011, 08:41 PM
i def think its an axle problem. Ive had this happen before on my TL; both axles and boots will appear fine but put a load on them and they vibrate like a motherfucker! Replace them both and try again

YK86
03-21-2011, 01:15 AM
Do you know if the swap was done properly? A lot of the swaps done before used the wrong mounts or mounts spaced with washers to get it to sit but sometimes sat crooked or on an angle causing premature cv joint wear and vibration problems.

With all the how-tos and stuff available now, you don't see that as much but just another possibility.

lostforawhile
03-21-2011, 02:13 AM
another post from a real human non bot, I would say the same thing, make sure everything is lined up right, there is no telling who did the swap

Rendon LX-i
03-21-2011, 08:09 AM
Carot I would swap out the axles n go from there. But sounds alot like what happen to my buddys eg. Rev it nothing under load it would do it 35 -45 an it was like wow. I mean wasn't. Bad but bad enough to switch it. Or it could be a separeted tired bro.

carotman
03-24-2011, 07:44 AM
Well, it's now doing it at low speeds...
I haven't had the time to check it yet but it sure looks like the axle is at fault or the mounts are misaligned. The vibration goes away if you release the throttle or press the clutch. If I rev the engine while pressing the clutch, there's no vibration.

I'll check this soon...