PDA

View Full Version : Low Fuel Problem

Bassmastry101
03-21-2011, 08:11 PM
SO, I have been tinkering around on my girlfriends car a lot lately. It just started doing this about two months ago and I haven't figured it out yet. Sorry if it's a little long..I like to go into detail.

I replaced the plugs, cap and button, accel 8mm wireset, put new grounds on it with 8 gauge wire and added two ground points (still not done but gave me great results), Had the timing belt replaced not too long ago, checked the vacuum lines over and over again (still want to do the black box delete), fabbed up a temporary custom intake..not exactly a cold air intake but still gave me more than I expected. New front top and bottom ball joints and both sides along with new axles and new rack and pinion with outer tie rods. New tires and fresh alignment. (basically rebuilt the front end)

SO I took the car for a week to test out all the time and effort put into it the previous week and did amazing, drove like a new car..until. I got off work one morning, I had about a quarter tank of gas and when I got off the exit the car just cut off at the red light..just like it used to. :burn: Fired it up and got to the gas station and died as soon as i stopped at the pump.. topped it off checked the vacuum lines again and nothing out of place, no cracks, nothing unplugged. Fired it up and it idled but barely so I unplugged the line going to the cruise control (the little can mounted the radiator support on the driver side) and it ran great. Took the long way home and it drove perfect. Well I gave the car back to my girl and she went out partying with some friends and parked on a hill and the car wouldn't start and the pump was making some lound noises. At the time she was a little low on the go go juice.. :banghead: ..I assume the pump just could'nt reach the fuel.. She pushed it to a level spot, fired it up and went on to get a little gas. Now when shes driving almost every time she stops it just cuts off.

When I bought the car the owner said that he replaced the fuel filter and pump and wrote down the date it was replaced..could It be possible he bent something, like the part that holds the actual pump in the tank and its raised up just enough to where the pump wont reach the last few gallons of gas? I'm thinking when on a hill or stopping the fuel shifts forward and the pump runs dry..

Bassmastry101
03-21-2011, 08:12 PM
OH and it's an 89 lx-i

Oldblueaccord
03-21-2011, 08:31 PM
well the pumps in the tank and the filters is on the firewall passenger side on a fuel injected car.

When it doesn't start your going to have to figure out if its not getting fuel or spark.

The main relay in these cars control spark and fuel pump so it could be going out. there a write up I did in the FI section.

wp

Bassmastry101
03-21-2011, 08:41 PM
I'll check that out as soon as I find it lol
It's getting plenty of spark and it only does this when the tank is at a quarter tank and below..full tank and I can slam on the brakes all day!

ShyBoyCA6
03-21-2011, 08:51 PM
could be the main relay. and you mentioned a loud noise from the pump? could be the pump is letting you know its gonna give out soon and needs to be replaced.

if you dont mind me asking the date he changed the fuel pump?

would help out alot better on getting more answers to your problem.

Oldblueaccord
03-23-2011, 12:07 PM
Well its possible that someone changed out the fuel pump buts its not far enough into the tank so its getting starved for fuel.

Could also loosen the gas cap the tank might not be venting correctly anymore.

wp

Dr_Snooz
03-23-2011, 03:38 PM
I'll bet your gauge is screwy, showing you have gas when you don't. When you fill up after one of these episodes, how many gallons does it take to top it off? Is the low fuel light coming on?

Test the gauge and sender according to the procedures on p. 25-116 in this manual (http://honda.roadpwnage.com/manuals/pages/usdm-accord-1989-full.php).

Let us know what you learn.

Bassmastry101
03-24-2011, 09:46 AM
Well its possible that someone changed out the fuel pump buts its not far enough into the tank so its getting starved for fuel.

Could also loosen the gas cap the tank might not be venting correctly anymore.

wp

Could be, When it gets a little low and I take the cap off it is pressurized. How would I go about check this?

Bassmastry101
03-24-2011, 09:54 AM
I'll bet your gauge is screwy, showing you have gas when you don't. When you fill up after one of these episodes, how many gallons does it take to top it off? Is the low fuel light coming on?

I did take all the gauge faces off to clear them out but I'm sure I put them back together right. But just to rule it out, will any fuel gauge work as a temp gauge just to test it? Also the fuel light has never come on..I'll check the light in the cluster too!

Oldblueaccord
03-24-2011, 01:26 PM
Could be, When it gets a little low and I take the cap off it is pressurized. How would I go about check this?

leave it loose or drill a small hole thru it.

not sure the ohm range of the sender is id say its on here someplace and i guess its not the standard 0-90 ohm GM gauges you see all around.

wp

Dr_Snooz
03-24-2011, 05:45 PM
I did take all the gauge faces off to clear them out but I'm sure I put them back together right.

Does that mean you took the needles off the gauges?

Bassmastry101
03-26-2011, 05:33 PM
Does that mean you took the needles off the gauges?

yes, I had the needles off when I cleared the gauges, I realigned it with full tank and it seems to be pretty accurate. Thats why I wanted to find an aftermarket one that I know would be accurate and compare.

Bassmastry101
03-26-2011, 05:35 PM
not sure the ohm range of the sender is id say its on here someplace and i guess its not the standard 0-90 ohm GM gauges you see all around.

Is there a way to change the sending unit to a standard one that would work with the new gauge?

Dr_Snooz
03-27-2011, 04:13 PM
yes, I had the needles off when I cleared the gauges, I realigned it with full tank and it seems to be pretty accurate. Thats why I wanted to find an aftermarket one that I know would be accurate and compare.

Replace your gauge. It is inaccurate. And don't remove the needles next time.

Xaisk
03-28-2011, 05:20 AM
I agree with Snooz. My gauge is innacurate. If I drive it down to 1/4 a tank it will cut off before it even gets to the point where the fuel light comes on. I honestly dont even know if the fuel light on my car works because of this haha. My car stays above the light for so friggen long though. It takes like a week to drop down from up there but when it starts dropping it starts dropping quick.

Bassmastry101
03-31-2011, 08:30 PM
Ok I got the dates finally...the fuel pump was changed in December of 2006 and the Fuel pump relay was replaced in August of 2007..

I still want to pull it out and see what this guy did...I really want to know if the pickup has been bent or installed incorrectly..I'll look into it on my off days and we shall see!