PDA

View Full Version : Oh boy, here we go again

Sabz5150
03-22-2011, 08:54 AM
Did some cleanup work on the coupe and wound up with an issue I haven't had before...

I removed the TB and cleaned it out really nice, replaced the gasket, etc. and now the car acts real weird. Just sitting there, it idles smoothly at 800 RPMs as nice as can be. However, if the car starts to move even the slightest, the idle jumps to 1500 - 2200 RPMs and stays there. I can get it up to speed and hold the clutch... high idle. Back it out of my garage... high idle. However, the instant the car comes to a stop (using brakes or just rolling to a stop), it will drop back to its nice and happy 800 within a second of stopping.

I replaced the TB gasket AGAIN making sure that no remaining gasket mess was left on the manifold. Nothing. I'm also cleaning the IACV and replacing its rubber seals, hopefully that will help out.

Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot... Help me out!!!!!

dacantu
03-22-2011, 09:28 AM
I would definitely start by cleaning the iacv. Take your time and clean it really well. I would even go as far as cleaning it twice. I have a feeling that this will be your only problem.

Sabz5150
03-22-2011, 01:23 PM
I would definitely start by cleaning the iacv. Take your time and clean it really well. I would even go as far as cleaning it twice. I have a feeling that this will be your only problem.

Yeah, I quickly found out that the gaskets were shot. The larger one at the very top wouldn't even hold the Simple Green I sprayed to get the gunk out... just poured out the top. I've got one of my guys at the shop sourcing a gasket for me, shouldn't be an issue. The other two were just as bad, but I had replacements for those on hand.

Little soak in the parts cleaner, little Green, looks shiny new now. Let's hope it works.

dacantu
03-22-2011, 09:42 PM
Good luck man. I hope it works out for you.

Hauntd ca3
03-23-2011, 01:05 AM
just make a gasket
a sheet of gasket paper and a small ball pein hammer is all you need

Dr_Snooz
03-23-2011, 09:36 AM
I always coat my paper gaskets with a thin coating of RTV. It makes it soooooooo much easier to remove them later. I freaking hate paper gaskets.

Sabz5150
03-31-2011, 05:50 PM
Looks like it might be the EACV... the sensor/solenoid on the front of the intake manifold. Pulled the plug on it, got a code 14 and my high-idle-while-in-motion issue disappeared. Did a hair of research, sounds like a coolant issue... found out I have a few coolant issues (you'd never know, the needle never reaches over halfway). My coolant reservoir bottle had sludge packed in the bottom, preventing coolant from returning to the radiator in any decent form. Was wondering why that bottle was filling itself up so damn fast, not to mention the disappearing coolant.

Otherwise, she's the little rocketship. All the cleaning and such have definitely helped. Gonna flush the whole shebang this weekend. Time to find a patch of grass to murder.