PDA

View Full Version : A few good questions.

firefighterwhite89
03-22-2011, 02:28 PM
Since i have 2 fans, i've heard after you delete your a/c, one fan becomes obsolete. If so, i'm guessing it's the one on the drivers side? Cause it never comes on anymore.

Where the hell can i get an adapter for the M6x1.0 service bolt hole for my digital fuel pressure gauge? or do i just need to change the banjo bolt completely? the FP sender has a male 1/8"npt.

There IS NO paint marking on my flywheel anywhere to be found at all. Just 2 marks, the middle one longer than the outer 2. The book reads there's a painted mark somewhere.

Any help or suggestions?

Pico
03-22-2011, 03:12 PM
Since i have 2 fans, i've heard after you delete your a/c, one fan becomes obsolete. If so, i'm guessing it's the one on the drivers side? Cause it never comes on anymore.
Any help or suggestions?
Both of mine come on, and I deleted my A/C

Oldblueaccord
03-23-2011, 12:17 PM
I had the same problem with the fuel service port. I'm thinking the only thing I found was a pressure gauge set that had an adapter.

Only 2 things I can think of is make your own meaning trying to retap a brass adapter or check the pressure some place else like tapped into the fuel rail.

wp

charliekuney
03-23-2011, 01:47 PM
If you have an LX-i, I believe one fan is on at all times when the engine is on, and the other kicks on after you turn the car off. I could be wrong. I could also be right, but it might only apply to 1988-1989 LX-i's and SE-i's.

Rendon LX-i
03-23-2011, 02:22 PM
Mine never came on SO i used it as a cooling fan with a switch. Worked great. Just have to use a relay and switch. but 88-89 fan systems are different from 86-87. Unless your missing a fuse or something.

For the fuel pressure gauge i used a civic filled gauges. An it replaces the banjo bolt. So at all times you know your pressure. I cant remember on top of my head but i can look back on one of my threads. THats the best way to my to keep on top of that. Are you having issues with your Fuel PSI?

86 dont have that mark only 88-89 the big mark is the tdc. or 15 in the manual. Just go by what it says. if you need help pm i have my book. I was like WTF when is saw that to back in the day.

lostforawhile
03-23-2011, 02:45 PM
the fans on my 86 dx are tied together factory, the system on FI cars is much more complex, I don't know why you would want to get rid of it? you could always add a fuse and relay so they both work together, it's just extra cooling. usually on a civic you would get rid of one fan because the condenser sits beside the radiator instead of in front of it. These cars have huge radiators compared to many later Honda's, take advantage of that and use it

Dr_Snooz
03-23-2011, 03:29 PM
Nevermind.

lostforawhile
03-23-2011, 03:32 PM
If you have an LX-i, I believe one fan is on at all times when the engine is on, and the other kicks on after you turn the car off. I could be wrong. I could also be right, but it might only apply to 1988-1989 LX-i's and SE-i's.

from looking at the wiring diagram, usually one fan runs for a while after you shut the car off, but it looks like it has two sensors, I would assume they shut off one after the other depending on the temp of the coolant, both would only continue to run over a certain temp

2oodoor
03-23-2011, 03:58 PM
T finely scribed mark is tdc,
use an advancing timing light to dial up ur 15 deg btdc by putting lite on the t and retarding the light to whatever 15 u want

firefighterwhite89
03-24-2011, 03:40 AM
I had the same problem with the fuel service port. I'm thinking the only thing I found was a pressure gauge set that had an adapter.

Only 2 things I can think of is make your own meaning trying to retap a brass adapter or check the pressure some place else like tapped into the fuel rail.

wp

I was scared to tap the fuel rail. Seems like a shit ton of VERY CAREFUL work, to an extremely malleable metal...which has me worried to tap the rail. BUT, that's where i'd really want it. Just drill, tap, thread tape, screw in and go?

Mine never came on SO i used it as a cooling fan with a switch. Worked great. Just have to use a relay and switch. but 88-89 fan systems are different from 86-87. Unless your missing a fuse or something.

For the fuel pressure gauge i used a civic filled gauges. An it replaces the banjo bolt. So at all times you know your pressure. I cant remember on top of my head but i can look back on one of my threads. THats the best way to my to keep on top of that. Are you having issues with your Fuel PSI?

86 dont have that mark only 88-89 the big mark is the tdc. or 15 in the manual. Just go by what it says. if you need help pm i have my book. I was like WTF when is saw that to back in the day.

What's the point to use a relay, if you have a digital realtime water temperature gauge? Is there a real purpose for one?
Negative on the fuel PSI issues atm. BUT, i have many times before, and the thought of just knowing whatever isn't working, whenever whatever goes wrong, i'll know if it's the fuel or not. ESP, if it was mounted at the rail. Hence why i've been getting nifty realtime digi gauges.

the fans on my 86 dx are tied together factory, the system on FI cars is much more complex, I don't know why you would want to get rid of it? you could always add a fuse and relay so they both work together, it's just extra cooling. usually on a civic you would get rid of one fan because the condenser sits beside the radiator instead of in front of it. These cars have huge radiators compared to many later Honda's, take advantage of that and use it

I never said anything about getting rid of the fan. Shit, extra cooling is flippin' awesome. It's the plan. But, before that happens, i need to figure out why it isn't working EVER.

Nevermind.

Was there a real point to this?

Oldblueaccord
03-24-2011, 05:35 AM
Yep just look up the proper drill size for the tap you are using. A pipe tap thread is different then screw thread remember. If you nervous about it practice on some scrap metal a few times. Its a great skill to learn in general.

I meant to say pressure test guage I never found an actually fuel pressure gauge with the correct fitting but I never looked extensively.

wp

Dr_Snooz
03-24-2011, 05:57 PM
The double fans came only on cars with AC. When the car is running, they both run together. When the car is off, only one runs, but I don't know which one.

lostforawhile
03-24-2011, 06:04 PM
who needs to know what size drill bit to use for what size tap? if it's metric it's probably a number or a letter drill, depending on size, let me know and i'll tell you

firefighterwhite89
03-25-2011, 12:50 PM
who needs to know what size drill bit to use for what size tap? if it's metric it's probably a number or a letter drill, depending on size, let me know and i'll tell you

My fuel pressure sender has a 1/8" NPT male. Which tap i need if it's not the 1/8" one?

lostforawhile
03-25-2011, 02:40 PM
My fuel pressure sender has a 1/8" NPT male. Which tap i need if it's not the 1/8" one?

what are you trying to hook into what, the fuel pressure sender into the factory rail? if the rail is a 1/8 bspt, i can tell you where to get an adapter to do this, they don't cost much, or do you not have threads already? if you don't you need a letter R drill bit, and a 1/8 NPT pipe thread tap, you need to make sure you have enough material to tap also

firefighterwhite89
03-27-2011, 03:18 PM
what are you trying to hook into what, the fuel pressure sender into the factory rail? if the rail is a 1/8 bspt, i can tell you where to get an adapter to do this, they don't cost much, also

Link Me Captain:thumbup:

lostforawhile
03-27-2011, 03:29 PM
Link Me Captain:thumbup:

i'm going to have to call MSC Monday, their site is acting up, if it has threads that look like they are 1/8, it's 1/8 bspt, it's the same adapter that I used to hook up my oil pressure gauge, I will get that part number, it was around 5 bucks when I ordered it

firefighterwhite89
03-27-2011, 04:01 PM
IDK what bore the rail is...My Fuel Pressure sender for my gauge, has a male 1/8NPT Connection on it. I need to find a banjo bolt that'll fit it, with a 1/8"npt female connector on top or the banjo bolt, or something similar. The service bolt on top is M6x1.0. I need it to be 1/8"NPT or an NPT size i could use a reducer adapter with.

lostforawhile
03-27-2011, 04:46 PM
IDK what bore the rail is...My Fuel Pressure sender for my gauge, has a male 1/8NPT Connection on it. I need to find a banjo bolt that'll fit it, with a 1/8"npt female connector on top or the banjo bolt, or something similar. The service bolt on top is M6x1.0. I need it to be 1/8"NPT or an NPT size i could use a reducer adapter with.

can you get me a banjo bolt? i can drill and tap it for you, will take me two minutes, you are talking about the bolt that goes through the center of the fitting with the hose on it, the 6x1.0 bolt is too small to tap a 1/8 npt fitting, but how big is the bolt through the center of the banjo fitting, i can also look for an adapter from 1/8 npt to 6x1

firefighterwhite89
03-27-2011, 05:17 PM
can you get me a banjo bolt? i can drill and tap it for you, will take me two minutes, you are talking about the bolt that goes through the center of the fitting with the hose on it, the 6x1.0 bolt is too small to tap a 1/8 npt fitting, but how big is the bolt through the center of the banjo fitting, i can also look for an adapter from 1/8 npt to 6x1

The Pressure sender and specs can be found here. -------> http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/replacement-0-100psi-fuel-pressure-sender.aspx

I would rather have on of these than tapping my own thread into the FR.
http://i875.photobucket.com/albums/ab320/firefighterwhite89/adapterforFPG.jpg
http://i875.photobucket.com/albums/ab320/firefighterwhite89/Amflo-364F-1-4-Male-NPT-to-3-8-Female-NPT-Brass-Bushing-Adapter-B0002V4PXU-L.jpg

firefighterwhite89
03-27-2011, 05:59 PM
i can get you my banjo bolt though if you want to drill it out and make it NPT threaded to where i can just use a common adapter? Everywhere i've found this adapter, it has to be custom made and costs 30$+. Fk that. could you do that? drill and retap? How much you want if so?:bow:

lostforawhile
03-27-2011, 06:43 PM
i can get you my banjo bolt though if you want to drill it out and make it NPT threaded to where i can just use a common adapter? Everywhere i've found this adapter, it has to be custom made and costs 30$+. Fk that. could you do that? drill and retap? How much you want if so?:bow:

i'm not going to charge you anything for making it, i just hope the bolt is big enough to tap for NPT threads, it wont take me but a couple of minutes, if the bolt is too small I know I can find that adapter much cheaper, let me call msc and see if i can scare one up, I checked my drawer full of fittings and I didn't already have one

firefighterwhite89
03-27-2011, 07:34 PM
i'm not going to charge you anything for making it, i just hope the bolt is big enough to tap for NPT threads, it wont take me but a couple of minutes, if the bolt is too small I know I can find that adapter much cheaper, let me call msc and see if i can scare one up, I checked my drawer full of fittings and I didn't already have one

even if 1/16" NPT thread is all it can handle, finding a 1/16"NPT male to 1/8"NPT female adapter will be easy as going to lowes. M6x1.0 to 1/8"NPT is a nightmare to find.

lostforawhile
03-27-2011, 08:06 PM
even if 1/16" NPT thread is all it can handle, finding a 1/16"NPT male to 1/8"NPT female adapter will be easy as going to lowes. M6x1.0 to 1/8"NPT is a nightmare to find.

let me check MSC and mcmaster carr, they have everything, that shouldn't be that gard to find, the civic guys run gauges all the time on the service bolt, and I think it's the same

stat1K
04-01-2011, 10:58 AM
i didn't like the idea of running a gauge all the time in the bay as i've seen some failures turn out pretty bad. angus tapped a chevy tire valve into the banjo bolt and sealed it up so that i can check my fuel pressure with a tire pressure gauge. it works great and if you want to vent the pressure you can just push down on it with the gauge and a rag no need to unscrew the 10mm service bolt.

the gauge in the bay at all times seems to be more of a bling thing than a functional thing to me.

lostforawhile
04-01-2011, 02:18 PM
i didn't like the idea of running a gauge all the time in the bay as i've seen some failures turn out pretty bad. angus tapped a chevy tire valve into the banjo bolt and sealed it up so that i can check my fuel pressure with a tire pressure gauge. it works great and if you want to vent the pressure you can just push down on it with the gauge and a rag no need to unscrew the 10mm service bolt.

the gauge in the bay at all times seems to be more of a bling thing than a functional thing to me.

I ran a small one at my firewall, but I'm carb, I put it in for diagnostic purposes, with the car running I can see pump pressure. regulated pressure is monitored by my digital norskog gauge, some of the small gauges are really cheaply made, and I wouldn't trust them, so it's got to be a quality gauge , i have a Holley one