PDA

View Full Version : Can I see your installed cupholders?

HON-DUH
03-26-2011, 11:40 AM
-

charliekuney
03-26-2011, 11:48 AM
There's a cup holder thread somewhere where I took pictures of them installed and opened/closed and in use...I don't know exactly where it is, though. I'll try to find it for you.

HON-DUH
03-26-2011, 11:49 AM
-

charliekuney
03-26-2011, 11:58 AM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1023347&postcount=15

You can love me now.

AccordB20A
03-26-2011, 01:42 PM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1023347&postcount=15

You can love me now.

damn, you can put your weed in there

charliekuney
03-26-2011, 01:50 PM
damn, you can put your weed in there

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH,

but, yes.

HON-DUH
03-26-2011, 02:22 PM
-

A18A
03-26-2011, 03:08 PM
do cups actually stay in there if you had to swerve your car?

charliekuney
03-26-2011, 04:08 PM
Very tempting, I might buy it from the guy who is selling his stuff

Do it. They're much more useful than a cassette holder. You're talking about that practically-brand-new set, right?

do cups actually stay in there if you had to swerve your car?

Cups, cans, bottles. As long as they're short enough to fit under the lip below the climate control buttons you're good to go autocrossing without sweating a spill.

HON-DUH
03-26-2011, 04:31 PM
-

dobermaxx
04-18-2011, 01:49 PM
I want to get one too...but my dad said it looked like it's not gonna hold...he said it'll prolly hold loose unless i put an adapter or sumtin...:confused:....does that kirkland bottle in the pic stay well in the cupholder when you drive?

DBMaster
04-18-2011, 03:32 PM
Forget the Honda cupholders. I like mine. I got it from Griott's Garage. It can mount on the doors on both sides, though, I just got one for the driver's side. With shipping it's under $20, well made, and won't slosh anything sticky into your stereo.

http://mysite.verizon.net/db.master/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/cupholderclosed.jpghttp://mysite.verizon.net/db.master/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/cupholderopen.jpg

charliekuney
04-18-2011, 04:18 PM
Not OEM, therefore lame.

I want to get one too...but my dad said it looked like it's not gonna hold...he said it'll prolly hold loose unless i put an adapter or sumtin...:confused:....does that kirkland bottle in the pic stay well in the cupholder when you drive?

Cups, cans, bottles. As long as they're short enough to fit under the lip below the climate control buttons you're good to go autocrossing without sweating a spill.

DBMaster
04-19-2011, 07:26 AM
Lame?

I am not one who drinks or eats in the car, except on rare occasions. My cupholder is a quality German item that has a feature that allows it to hold a variety of cups securely. I have always thought Honda's OEM cupdholders were lame because if anything sloshes out of your cup it ends up in the stereo and having cups in the thing hampers access to the radio controls.

Think about the Japanese philosophy in the 80's. There was a recall on the seatbelt buckles. The Japanese manufacturer of the buckles said that if Americans weren't such fat pigs - always eating in their cars - the food debris wouldn't be messing up their buckles. Funny, right? That's why I firmly believe that the OEM cupholders were an afterthought for Honda.

charliekuney
04-19-2011, 08:39 AM
I thought the seatbelts were recalled because the mechanics were faulty?

DBMaster
04-19-2011, 12:45 PM
The seatbelt recall affected many cars, not just Hondas. It was done by the Japanese manufacturer of the belt hardware. When I got mine done around ten years ago the Honda dealer told me that if the buckles were messed up they replaced them and if they were not (as in my case) they just attached black plastic collars to reinforce the plastic shell of the buckle.

The thing about eating in the car was what the belt manufacturer originally claimed, I swear. Crumbs in the buckles might indeed cause them to let loose in a crash. But, if you're going to sell cars in America parts like that have to function even when people sometimes "live" in their cars a bit too much.

charliekuney
04-19-2011, 01:43 PM
Woah, so that's why some of these cars have those weird black sleeves? My car has two different buckles; one from the 1988 coupe it is, and one from a 1987 hatch because the passenger side went out.

Anyway, I've never had anything spill in my car from these cup holders, except for a skinny-ass Red Bull can. If it fits in the circle part and under the climate control buttons you're good to go.

JC Barker
04-19-2011, 02:21 PM
Lame?

I have always thought Honda's OEM cupdholders were lame because if anything sloshes out of your cup it ends up in the stereo and having cups in the thing hampers access to the radio controls.

I would agree, they are a pain in the butt. If your not interested in getting to your stereo then your probably ok.

MessyHonda
04-19-2011, 07:18 PM
I would agree, they are a pain in the butt. If your not interested in getting to your stereo then your probably ok.

yeah...i have to use my remote to change stuff when i have my drinks in the way

DBMaster
04-20-2011, 08:01 AM
I only use mine to transport take-out drinks back home. You have to be careful with mine on the door because if you close it too hard with a drink in it...

It does hold most cups very securely. It has a spring-loaded "flap" in the opening that causes it to tightly hold almost any size drink. As I said, it's German made, the same thing that they were putting into Mercedes. Cost me under $20 with shipping. Heck of a deal.

gp02a0083
04-20-2011, 09:56 AM
as far as the seat belts go , i had the recall done to my 87. From what i gathered, it wasn't a problem with the belt lock due to foreign contaminants , but it was a piss poor design that caused the buckle lock assembly to loosen up and fall apart.

i always thought the same thing about the design and location of the cup holders. I think this was thought of after the fact they designed the rest of the car.

DBMaster
04-20-2011, 11:48 AM
Can one of you confirm something for me? I recall two people I knew in the past who had SEi coupes. Weren't the side bolsters on the front seats of the SEi's less "aggressive" than on the lower level models?

A18A
04-20-2011, 05:23 PM
yeah i don't like the location of the oem ones either. i have some from a laurel that im gonna try make fit into a accord, just gotta figure out where, cause i like my cassette holder thing and dont wanna get rid of it

DBMaster
04-21-2011, 05:13 AM
yeah i don't like the location of the oem ones either. i have some from a laurel that im gonna try make fit into a accord, just gotta figure out where, cause i like my cassette holder thing and dont wanna get rid of it

What's a "laurel?"

I cut away the cassette dividers in my console box some years ago and lined the whole thing with black closed cell foam (about 1/8" thickness). It is nice to have that big compartment since these cars are not too generous on their cubbyholes. And, what's up with those useless compartments in the back seat armrests of the coupes?

A18A
04-21-2011, 05:52 AM
a laurel as in nissan. they look like this
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/4625/img1190medium.jpg
http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/4061/img1191medium.jpg
I was gonna install prelude digital climate controls and install those underneath, but not sure if they will fit there.

lol I cut those divider things out of mine too, and i like to keep the upper part (that's hidden behind that flap) for hidden switches and items

/threadjack

DBMaster
04-21-2011, 07:49 AM
I forget sometimes that the Japanese have different model names for different markets. Those look like they might keep drinks out of the way.