PDA

View Full Version : blown tranny? or possibly something else?

anubis_4_99
03-26-2011, 12:26 PM
well my accord flipped me the bird the other night and im assuming i have a blown tranny, but figured i would post up and see what others thought before i take it apart

the other night was in a burger king parking lot, started up the accord, and idle went upto 2000-2500 like it normally does

shifted into reverse, and KABOOM, rpms bogged for a sec, then went back up, and my speedo shot upto like 45mph

i have no gears, not even park, and when i shift into any gear i can hear kind of a grinding, i put it back into park and it will squeal for about 15 seconds and then stop making noise

like i said i know its a long shot that i dont have a bad transmission now, but its snowing and i dont wanna rip it apart yet lol, next few days its supposed to warm back up, and i get paid wednesday and can go snag a new tranny.

any ideas or info you guys have would be awesome

also i've never removed a tranny from a 3G, so any info there would be awesome as well

tranny is auto btw

AccordB20A
03-26-2011, 02:11 PM
so when its in drive it will make a noise and the speedo will go up depending on revs??? this could mean its a failed CV joint, jack it up and have a look, turn a wheel while its in park and see what the other wheel on the other side does (it should turn the opposite way)
its probably either a CV or the diff thats failed.

anubis_4_99
03-26-2011, 02:40 PM
yes, speed will go up dependent on the rpms, i looked at the cv's just through the hood and couldnt see anything wrong there, but tomorrow it is supposed to quit snowing and warm up, so i will probably jack it up and start checking it over tomorrow.

a failed cv, while still not great would be alot better then having to put a tranny in it lol

if its the diff i may as well just go for a whole new transmission

anubis_4_99
03-27-2011, 03:38 PM
well B20 you were right on, my passenger side axle failed

jack it up today and spun the driver side wheel, and the passenger side didnt move at all, made it a point to look at my axle on the driver side, and it was rotating fine

moved along to the passenger side and rotated the wheel, driver stayed where it was at. looked at the axle from underneath while i was rotating the wheel and the axle wasnt moving.

the joint on the wheel spun as it should, but made some strange noises and the actual axle shaft just bounced a little

so payday i'll be getting an axle and she's back on the road

thanks for the input! the boot and everything is fine, i might not have even looked at it if you hadnt mentioned that!

are these axles just that weak or did i just get a bad one? i just replaced both axles less then a month ago due to torn boots and clicking joints

AccordB20A
03-27-2011, 08:43 PM
swapping an axle beats swapping a automatic gaybox! lol

Xaisk
03-28-2011, 05:22 AM
You must have got a bad one. I wouldnt worry about the boots or anything because the new ones come with boots already installed and all you have to do is just slide it into place in the transmission and wheel.

At least thats how it was for me.
Cant argue with a new boot even if the old ones fine haha.

anubis_4_99
03-28-2011, 06:20 PM
swapping an axle beats swapping a automatic gaybox! lol

you can say that again! last one i did was on an older V-6 acura legend

didnt have a tranny jack at the time so was benchpressing it into place, hand slipped and it came down on my face :Owned:

since then i try to avoid any transmission work if possible lol

i should have a new one in by friday once i get paid, i'll take the old one apart and take some pics of the carnage

yeah xaisk, axles are pretty easy besides breaking the axle nut since i dont have an impact lol i've had to do my share due to clicking and what not

anubis_4_99
03-31-2011, 01:39 PM
well a new noise has arisen

its very infrequent, and sounds almost like a train wheel does on train tracks when it squeals

its a constant sound, doesn't change by speed difference, brake usage, or any other factor i've tried to use to narrow it down

only seems to happen between 20mph and 50mph

outside of that, doesn't seem to happen, and i can drive for 2 minutes and get it, or sometimes i'll drive an hour and never hear it.

anyone got any ideas?

Dr_Snooz
03-31-2011, 04:20 PM
Vid?

anubis_4_99
03-31-2011, 05:53 PM
im gonna try, but the noise is so erratic i cant even predict when it will happen, makes it very hard to catch it lol