PDA

View Full Version : Barn Find... WAY too pricey though...

markmdz89hatch
03-29-2011, 04:49 AM
http://newlondon.craigslist.org/cto/2223618337.html

88LXi68
03-29-2011, 07:28 AM
go look at it and knock some sense into him

dacantu
03-29-2011, 07:34 AM
Wow Mark its nice to see you around the forum! It seems like a while since I've seen your screen name! You should come around more man, you always had a lot to offer the forum.

You should definitely go check out that coupe and see what you can bring him down to on price.

gp02a0083
03-29-2011, 08:50 AM
its a good car , but seeing it in person would be better, i agree 6k for a car like that is way too much money i would realistically pay him $2,500 to 3k for it if it was that clean. If it was an sei i think the price would stay around the same.

2oodoor
03-29-2011, 09:08 AM
its a good car , but seeing it in person would be better, i agree 6k for a car like that is way too much money i would realistically pay him $2,500 to 3k for it if it was that clean. If it was an sei i think the price would stay around the same.

I agree, also

there are the same issues with deterioration you would have on a 200,000 mile car. You probably would have the same car when you're done restoring those items, you think?
rubber bushings...and rubber parts in brake system
oil seals, same ones as usual
relays, switches, can become corroded despite lack of use
alternator slip ring, corroded and gummed up. thus meaning one of those for a lot of you
clear coat issues, plastic oxidation from interior parts to lenses... caked up moly in the cv boots, Coolant turned into a PH nightmare..taking out sensors with it.
blah blah blah..

unless the car was in climate controled storage... I dunno

There is a guy here with a second gen prelude, I saw it a couple of years ago when I went to buy a french door used from him. Mint, absolutely mint.. climate controlled home garage stored. If I remember right it has less than 40k miles...now he has been advertising it for $14k about a year now. Yes it is an Si too. A20A3
no way worth that, but maybe the right collector will come around for it ...

gp02a0083
03-29-2011, 10:10 AM
it all comes down to how much is it work to you as a buyer

ShyBoyCA6
03-29-2011, 10:51 AM
nice find! but maybe you could knock off 1k if you could.

Legend_master
03-29-2011, 11:15 AM
Thats one of the lowest mile 3Geez I have seen. Would love to own that, but not for $6K.

ShyBoyCA6
03-29-2011, 12:08 PM
if its FI it would be even better but it looks like a carb to me for some reason...

frantik
03-29-2011, 12:51 PM
looks like a laurel blue coupe... if so, it's a DX :Owned: (DX coupes come with painted bumpers right?)

HON-DUH
03-29-2011, 01:01 PM
MY car is worth 6k

That car is a coupe DX

ShyBoyCA6
03-29-2011, 01:05 PM
MY car is worth 6k

That car is a coupe DX

ok so MY car is worth 8k.

really no one is gonna buy a 20-23 year old car for 6k shit i could get a 350z with 6k haha.

gp02a0083
03-29-2011, 01:07 PM
i mean that's pricy compared to what i got my hatch for

57k for $1500, garage kept up until 5 years ago and dealer maintained.

6k is really un-realistic

for another grand or two i could buy my friends sr20det 240sx that is probably just as clean or even better , i could buy his AE92 with the AE111 engine w/6 speed.lol

HON-DUH
03-29-2011, 04:13 PM
ok so MY car is worth 8k.

really no one is gonna buy a 20-23 year old car for 6k shit i could get a 350z with 6k haha.

Trust me, your car is NOT worth 8k... Was that a joke?

When I posted my car on craigs, I got like 2 offers of 5k which I ultimately turned down :slap:

ShyBoyCA6
03-29-2011, 04:24 PM
Trust me, your car is NOT worth 8k... Was that a joke?
^
so that my Asking Price haha and yes it was a joke lol

When I posted my car on craigs, I got like 2 offers of 5k which I ultimately turned down :slap:
^well then you should slap your self for that when you had the offers then.....i would of sold it and bought another one and use the money to buy new parts for it haha.

Vanilla Sky
03-29-2011, 04:56 PM
Just because a car isn't worth a given amount to you doesn't mean it's not worth it to someone else. I'd happily pay $7500 for a nice condition LXi hatch if everything has been replaced.

charliekuney
03-29-2011, 05:33 PM
Just saying, the picture is from Google Images. Could be an SE-i for all anyone knows. Contact him!

When I posted my car on craigs, I got like 2 offers of 5k which I ultimately turned down

right.

2ndGenGuy
03-30-2011, 11:16 AM
Just because a car isn't worth a given amount to you doesn't mean it's not worth it to someone else. I'd happily pay $7500 for a nice condition LXi hatch if everything has been replaced.

I assume you mean if you had a bajillion dollars, and were just adding it to your collection...

HON-DUH
03-30-2011, 11:40 AM
right.

Somebody is obviously in denial, jealous much Charles?

:stick:

ghettogeddy
03-30-2011, 12:35 PM

any person in there right mind on this site would have taken 5k quick for any of these cars. cause you could easily get a better looking more maintained one for way less lol.

also that car is not mint it looks to be missing the fender trim lol

cubert
03-30-2011, 02:38 PM

Delusional much?

No matter what kind of shape its in its still a 20+ year old economy car...

HON-DUH
03-30-2011, 02:56 PM
Delusional much?

No matter what kind of shape its in its still a 20+ year old economy car...

A true Honda enthusiast with money would pay 5k for the shape it's in...

2ndGenGuy
03-30-2011, 03:04 PM

All 3 of them?

89T
03-30-2011, 03:29 PM
A true Honda enthusiast with money would be found at www.Honda-tech.com (http://www.Honda-tech.com) in the classic section. Please try there.

Vanilla Sky
03-30-2011, 03:54 PM
I assume you mean if you had a bajillion dollars, and were just adding it to your collection...

Actually, no. If I come across a black LXi hatch that has had everything replaced, I'd happily spend $7500. I really like these cars, but what I'm looking for is less common than a unicorn.

Once again, just because someone thinks something is too expensive doesn't mean someone won't pay it. I see it all the time. It helps drive this economy and can get more money in your pocket.

I do want to bring up a point here. This bashing over the price of a car is asinine and really needs to stop. There is a reason we moved away from the open marketplace format to a closed one.

If someone wants to price something above market, it probably won't sell in that market. You don't have to bash someone over it. The same thing goes the other way. You don't have to call someone cheap if they aren't willing to pay your price.

I feel this issue is starting to cause a bit of animosity amongst this forum and it needs to stop.

charliekuney
03-30-2011, 04:15 PM
also that car is not mint it looks to be missing the fender trim lol

Just saying, the picture is from Google Images. Could be an SE-i for all anyone knows.

I cannot stress that enough. The trim is there, by the way. It's just faded.

http://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2008/03/24/21/21/1989_honda_accord_coupe_dx-pic-46241.jpeg

dacantu
03-30-2011, 04:26 PM
Actually, no. If I come across a black LXi hatch that has had everything replaced, I'd happily spend $7500. I really like these cars, but what I'm looking for is less common than a unicorn.

Once again, just because someone thinks something is too expensive doesn't mean someone won't pay it. I see it all the time. It helps drive this economy and can get more money in your pocket.

I do want to bring up a point here. This bashing over the price of a car is asinine and really needs to stop. There is a reason we moved away from the open marketplace format to a closed one.

If someone wants to price something above market, it probably won't sell in that market. You don't have to bash someone over it. The same thing goes the other way. You don't have to call someone cheap if they aren't willing to pay your price.

I feel this issue is starting to cause a bit of animosity amongst this forum and it needs to stop.
I do believe this HON-DUH character needs some attention. He seems to be very hott headed for being a new member thinking he runs this thing. Maybe its just me but I hate seeing his obnoxious posts.

89T
03-30-2011, 04:46 PM
I cannot stress that enough. The trim is there, by the way. It's just faded.

http://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2008/03/24/21/21/1989_honda_accord_coupe_dx-pic-46241.jpeg
There are dent's in the door and front bumper cover needs repaint after hitting something that scraped the paint off. There is a strange shadow on the door that has new trim on it. I feel this car has been in an accident or two. That's just one side of the car.

I do believe this HON-DUH character needs some attention. He seems to be very hott headed for being a new member thinking he runs this thing. Maybe its just me but I hate seeing his obnoxious posts. Does this guy not remind you of someone?

mykwikcoupe
03-30-2011, 05:20 PM
not to mention the rust spot in the driver rear quarter in the typical spot. This car could be worth something but to me its just another 1k accord.

89T
03-30-2011, 05:30 PM
^^^^ Spot on!^^^

frantik
03-30-2011, 05:48 PM
hey guys that picture MAY NOT BE THE CAR (as charlie said now 2 or 3 times) since the picture is found on google image search

charliekuney
03-30-2011, 06:10 PM
:facepalm:

dacantu
03-30-2011, 06:35 PM
Does this guy not remind you of someone?

I'm not sure, pm me.. :)

ShyBoyCA6
03-30-2011, 06:55 PM
Glicious? or however you spell it haha or...hmm

russiankid
03-30-2011, 06:57 PM
Buy high mileage 3g, rebuild it from top to bottom...you have 0 miles. haha.

ShyBoyCA6
03-30-2011, 06:58 PM

dude if it was back in the mid 90's then yes it would be 5k but now these cars go less then 1.5k in KB i think

Vanilla Sky
03-30-2011, 07:22 PM
Blue Book value has no bearing on the actual value of a car. It's a guide that tells you where you should start negotiating. It takes into consideration how worn the car is, but doesn't take new parts into account.

I do still see these cars listed for similar amounts. Heck, I've seen them within the past couple of months going for $3500 for particularly nice examples. I'm not talking cars that have been practically rebuilt, I'm talking about decent drivers.

frantik
03-30-2011, 07:58 PM
:facepalm:

that car has JDM corners too :lol:

HON-DUH
03-31-2011, 04:44 AM
I do believe this HON-DUH character needs some attention. He seems to be very hott headed for being a new member thinking he runs this thing. Maybe its just me but I hate seeing his obnoxious posts.

I could care less about wtf you think. You seem to be "hot headed" as well for a noob.

And yes, it is just you, if you don't like what you read, then don't answer :slap:

stat1K
03-31-2011, 06:05 AM
this belongs in my craigslist fail thread in the off topic section mark.

if it is in super nice condition i would, however, pay 4k for a great looking and running coupe.

Legend_master
03-31-2011, 06:15 AM

I would agree that an absolutely mint LX-i hatch would get a little more from me, then most people would be willing to pay. Like maybe 4K, or 5k if it was exactly the color and stuff that I wanted. For the most part, I could find a rust free LX-i hatch for under $1k (in texas), and invest $4K-$6K into making it a brand new higher performance car that is exactly how I want it.

88LXi68
03-31-2011, 06:49 AM
Just saying, the picture is from Google Images. Could be an SE-i for all anyone knows. Contact him!

I think it might actually be the real car...I can't be 100% positive, but here are my reasons:
1)the registration sticker in the lower left corner of the windshield appears to be a CT sticker

2)the backdrop of the picture looks very familiar. I think it was taken in New London near Ocean State Beach and across the way it could be the sub plant

Like I said, I can't be 100% but those are just 2 things I noticed

w261w261
03-31-2011, 06:53 AM
Sheesh. Lots of sturm and drang here. Me, I picked up the phone and called the guy. He was .... surprised ... that the ad was on CL, because he didn't put it there. Also, the ad was dated Feb 19, and because he was surprised, I'd say the $6,000 price made it a no-starter.

Here's the story. The "seller," (Leone), his wife took care of an elderly gentleman who died and gave the car to her. The couple's 18 year old son, without their knowledge, then put the ad on CL. The estate has not been settled yet, so they can't sell the car because they don't own it. Also, the guy thinks he's going to keep it. I told him about 3geez, so maybe he'll be around.

He doesn't remember the model of the car, but it sounds like a DX. He wasn't familiar with the photo setting, so it prob is a Google Images shot. He said it is the basic model, with only a driver's side mirror. No leather he said. He also said that if he were going to let it go, he would ask $2500 for it.

stat1K
03-31-2011, 07:33 AM
LOL what a douche bag son hahahahah.

Legend_master
03-31-2011, 07:59 AM
Sheesh. Lots of sturm and drang here. Me, I picked up the phone and called the guy. He was .... surprised ... that the ad was on CL, because he didn't put it there. Also, the ad was dated Feb 19, and because he was surprised, I'd say the $6,000 price made it a no-starter.

Here's the story. The "seller," (Leone), his wife took care of an elderly gentleman who died and gave the car to her. The couple's 18 year old son, without their knowledge, then put the ad on CL. The estate has not been settled yet, so they can't sell the car because they don't own it. Also, the guy thinks he's going to keep it. I told him about 3geez, so maybe he'll be around.

He doesn't remember the model of the car, but it sounds like a DX. He wasn't familiar with the photo setting, so it prob is a Google Images shot. He said it is the basic model, with only a driver's side mirror. No leather he said. He also said that if he were going to let it go, he would ask $2500 for it.

LOL, well that was the logical thing to do.

2oodoor
03-31-2011, 01:33 PM
:koolaid: what the heck happen here :omg:
coupe in the pic, hard to get headlight panels to line up with bent radiator suppt lol jk

charliekuney
03-31-2011, 03:17 PM
The car pictured has over 130k. If you Google "1989 Honda Accord coupe" and click on the fourth picture it takes to you a profile with a bunch of pictures and information on the car.

MessyHonda
03-31-2011, 11:45 PM
fail

frantik
04-01-2011, 04:12 AM
what a great ending to this story

A18A
04-01-2011, 05:17 AM
It sucks how people are paying more for these cars now days :( no cheap ones for me anymore

HON-DUH
04-01-2011, 09:07 AM
It sucks how people are paying more for these cars now days :( no cheap ones for me anymore

How is this bad?

If people are willing to pay more for our cars, it means they are a desirable model

2drSE-i
04-01-2011, 09:56 AM

You sorry son of a bitch. How dare you! We were perfectly fine with all of the speculation, bitching and moaning and you had to ruin it. You sir, may go to hell.

snoopyloopy
04-02-2011, 05:26 PM
lololol someone is trying to support a crack habit. that must be what he's smoking to ask that for that car. with those kind of miles, i'd be scared at what i'm getting. arguably not any better a position than what is available on a car with 10x the mileage since most of the seals will probably be cracked and dry from sitting. and also, as much as i love these cars, i'm not quite delusional. there are better options available for the money, ranging from putting the $6k as a down payment on a new kia to buying used cars that are less than 20 years old. we're talking anywhere from lux cars from late 90s to a used civic that's from the mid 2000s.
but there is a saying. "one man's trash is another man's treasure." i dare say the reverse is also true.