PDA

View Full Version : I'm back as well with an 1989 SE-i

YK86
04-02-2011, 05:21 AM
Nice to see a lot of the old school guys keeping their cars mint or working on new shells. Also nice to see so much progress with the B20A swap (info wise) and all the new members from inside and outside North America as well! I'm sure a lot of people on here don't have a clue who I am as I've been away from this board for so long.

This was my 86 EXi back when it was still respectable 10 years ago.

http://www.b20accord.com/coilover1.jpg

I gave up on it after the rust was killing the body (major hole in the trunk and all 4 jacking points had collapsed). It's sat for over 9 years now. But amazingly, even after all that time, the a20 still purrs quietly when I start it up once in a while.

Anyways, I needed another daily driver and came across an 89 SE-i for $500 on Craigslist last month. Completely stock minus the SE-i rims/Bose system and the leather seats were trashed. I can tell it was in a light front end accident as the hood, fenders and headlight buckets needed some alignment. Plus the 86/87 bumper and mismatched door moldings totally gave it away. The rear right quarter has been repainted as well. But it's really hard to find any 3rd gen EX-i/SE-i's around here let alone one with minimal rust so I jumped on it. Compression was 175 across so that was a good sign.

Gave it a much needed major tune up, fresh fluids, brake flush, right axle, new oil seals, o2 and coolant temp sensors, engine mounts, and the usual iacv/fiv/tb clean up. Almost everything I needed was sitting on my shelf for the 86 so that was a huge bonus. Was still getting horrible mileage so after some diagnosing, turned out the vacuum advance diaphragm was toast. Had 3 distributors on my shelf so I just swapped the best looking one over. Now it runs like a new car. Also spent a lot of time shimming and realigning the front end so everything lines up. The suspension was bothering me and it turns out the radius rod bushings were shot along with the the fact whoever worked on it before put the damn things in the wrong way. But the good thing is, so far none of the suspension bolts were seized.

Spent the last few weeks doing that along with slowly transferring the good parts from the 86 EX-i. Oem sunroof and window visors, mint SE-i rear seats and door panels, Prelude seats in the front, painted and mounted a 4th gen spoiler I had and converted the harness plugs to make it plug and play with the 3rd gen taillights, and clear front bumper signals. Also installed a spare 2 way alarm. I'll eventually transfer my Lude arms with Koni reds/GC's over to it but for now, I'll enjoy pummeling over speed bumps at stock height without worrying about scraping.

Made a front lip out of an old 87 bumper (cut off the bottom half of the junk one and mounted it upside down), a chrome finish pipe for the muffler, converted all the moldings to the thin 86/87 style, and threw some Civic wheel covers on it for now. Still looks crappy and needs a good wash/wax but it's a start. I have some 5th gen side skirts and rear lip so I might try mounting that on if I have time.

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/5825/dscf35700.jpg

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/3706/dscf3571c.jpg

You can see my poor 86 looking sad in the back slowly starting to get stripped.
http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/6407/dscf35690.jpg

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/8377/dscf3573w.jpg

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/5111/dscf3572r.jpg

As much as I still like the 3rd gen, I need to finish my true project car which is the 1990 EXR. It was the 4th gens that originally got me liking Accords and I still love the thing. I find the overall shape and design of the exterior and interior still appeals to me after all these years even compared to the newer ones (have a 5th, 6th, and 7th gen in the family). I already got rid of the f22a4 and put in an f22a6 while converting it to a 5 speed. I've done a few h22 swaps for friends and I had the chance to throw one in as well but for whatever reason, I never felt like it. Maybe I'm just happy with the f series or I'm just weird lol. I'll be rebuilding the tranny and throwing an LSD in it so it'll be ready for the summer. Got some side skirts, front lip, Corbeau seats, CF hood, and JDM fogs for it too. I've already upgraded everything else and got all the rust cut out and a full repaint so I don't have much left to go til I can call it done and be over with it.

http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/6210/dscf35680.jpg

This the engine bay after swapping in a fresh f22a6 with the double stacked manifold spacer and 5 speed conversion. All I can say is the hydro clutches are great but installing and bleeding it is a huge pain in the ass. I missed the simple cable clutch in the 3rd gens.

http://img852.imageshack.us/img852/1906/dsc05372.jpg

In the late spring, the SEi will be next. I'll convert it to 5 speed and then throw the B20A in finally. I'm sure the B20A hates being used as a coat hanger/place to put boxes full of parts as it has the past 9 years. I'll eventually transfer the Xenon kit over to it as well. But I know for sure I won't be going too hardcore on it.

Anyways, it feels good to be back on here again. I've always had a soft spot for 3rd gens and this site as well as it's the car/site I spent a lot of time on. I've had a 88 SI and 91 Special Edition CRX, 97 Acura EL, and a 99 Mustang GT convertible which were all great cars in their own way but I always fall back to the Accords.

Hondamonster
04-02-2011, 07:34 AM
nice man. looks like the old one was done well (though not exactly current styling) do the next one up with the same love and different looks and it should be pretty cool

87roach
04-02-2011, 07:58 AM
I enjoyed the story and the photo's!

Glad to see the love for 3geez lives on in you, are you still in BC? Where abouts?

YK86
04-02-2011, 12:16 PM
nice man. looks like the old one was done well (though not exactly current styling) do the next one up with the same love and different looks and it should be pretty cool

Yeah, the 86 style is definitely outdated now. Back in the 90's, I really wanted a Honda in metallic silver with chrome rims. This time around, I'm not sure what I want to do with it. Oh well, I can worry about it as I go.

I enjoyed the story and the photo's!

Glad to see the love for 3geez lives on in you, are you still in BC? Where abouts?

Thanks. Yup, I'm still in BC. I live in lower mainland, Langley to be exact. Do you ever come down to Vancouver? There used to be quite a few 3rd gen guys on here and the local Accord board. Now there are....none. I don't even see any lightly modded ones on the road anymore which is quite sad.

Ayeobe
04-02-2011, 12:51 PM
Nice man. Damn you guys and your easily aquired pre-facelift parts! lol... I love the 86/87 bumpers man, good shit. Looks great on the SE-i.

RobT5580
04-02-2011, 01:51 PM
SEM makes a good glue to adhere the xenon kit if your going to transfer your kit over. Its SEM #39767 but it cures fast so you need to have someone help you and its not cheap. So far i glued my rear kit on and it suppose to sand well although i have not used it to mold or fill problem areas yet.

Glad to see your still into it!

YK86
04-02-2011, 02:04 PM
Nice man. Damn you guys and your easily aquired pre-facelift parts! lol... I love the 86/87 bumpers man, good shit. Looks great on the SE-i.

I like the dip in the upper part of the 86/87 bumpers under the grill. Not really feeling the orange bumper lights though as it makes the car look dated so I just slapped the homemade ones for now. I'm trying to mix and match the good stuff from both to get the combo I like.

SEM makes a good glue to adhere the xenon kit if your going to transfer your kit over. Its SEM #39767 but it cures fast so you need to have someone help you and its not cheap. So far i glued my rear kit on and it suppose to sand well although i have not used it to mold or fill problem areas yet.

Glad to see your still into it!

This is GREAT info. Thanks. I used urethane glue but have to keep redoing the front air dam because over time it just doesn't want to hold. How much was a tube (or whatever you buy it in) for the glue? What do you figure the workable time is after applying it? If it's fast like epoxy, I'll definitely need a good assistant.

Pico
04-02-2011, 02:10 PM
good to see you still have lots of 3g love still in you.

Tdurr
04-02-2011, 04:16 PM
looking good man! i like the story also, glad ur back on the boards, its always nice to have some OG's around haha.

87roach
04-02-2011, 09:39 PM
Thanks. Yup, I'm still in BC. I live in lower mainland, Langley to be exact. Do you ever come down to Vancouver? There used to be quite a few 3rd gen guys on here and the local Accord board. Now there are....none. I don't even see any lightly modded ones on the road anymore which is quite sad.

I go Vancouver a few times a month actually.

YK86
04-03-2011, 01:03 AM
good to see you still have lots of 3g love still in you.

Thanks. Now that I'm back in one and having it run so good, I now remember why I loved these cars so much. BTW, I really like your scheme you have going with your sedan. I was kinda going with the same on my CRX (white with black/silver trim rims). Good work!

looking good man! i like the story also, glad ur back on the boards, its always nice to have some OG's around haha.

Thanks! I was thinking I'd get no response in this thread or 'this thread sucks!' comments lol. Hopefully, I can be somewhat useful on here again.

I go Vancouver a few times a month actually.

Oh nice. Do you usually come down with the hatch? Who has that RWD hatch I saw a while back? I swear he was in BC as well....... We should have a 3rd gen mini meet some time lol.

frantik
04-03-2011, 02:58 AM
sweet

RobT5580
04-03-2011, 04:40 AM
This is GREAT info. Thanks. I used urethane glue but have to keep redoing the front air dam because over time it just doesn't want to hold. How much was a tube (or whatever you buy it in) for the glue? What do you figure the workable time is after applying it? If it's fast like epoxy, I'll definitely need a good assistant.

I think it was $30-$40 a tube but they are a two part apoxy which requires a special caulk style gun which i didn't have to buy. The work time is 3-5 minutes and the sand time is 15-20 minutes. I plan to use it as a filler as well on the side skirts and the front bumper.

bullard123
04-03-2011, 06:44 AM
Whats up Yasu!! Man long time no see.....I'm glad you got another 3gee to fool around with. I remember you having that clean B20A you were building.....are you gonna put that in the new Sedan? I like that 4th gen too!!

87roach
04-03-2011, 08:07 AM
Oh nice. Do you usually come down with the hatch? Who has that RWD hatch I saw a while back? I swear he was in BC as well....... We should have a 3rd gen mini meet some time lol.

I haven't driven the hatch for around 7 months :( I did take it for a bomb the other day and it started even before I turned the key(she want's to drive!!). It'll be back on the road this summer I hope, I have to get it in the shop asap for that to happen.

Vector is the one with the rwd hatch, he's in kelowna and I still haven't seen it. I plan to this year though.

Mini meet would be fun :D

import racer
04-03-2011, 03:38 PM
Don't mean to jack your thread man,but does anyone know what happened to the black sedan with the green flame job.I know it was quite a while ago,but just wondering what happened to that car.

charliekuney
04-03-2011, 07:03 PM
Nice to finally see a charcoal granite SE-i sedan on here.

YK86
04-03-2011, 08:29 PM
sweet

Thanks!

I think it was $30-$40 a tube but they are a two part apoxy which requires a special caulk style gun which i didn't have to buy. The work time is 3-5 minutes and the sand time is 15-20 minutes. I plan to use it as a filler as well on the side skirts and the front bumper.

Oh, that's fast. Maybe I'll get Mike to help me as he's a good body man. Thanks for the tips!

Whats up Yasu!! Man long time no see.....I'm glad you got another 3gee to fool around with. I remember you having that clean B20A you were building.....are you gonna put that in the new Sedan? I like that 4th gen too!!

Yeah, it's been a while. Good to see you're still active! Still rocking the tails? I still have the B20A. It's been sitting for so long. Actually, this is a pic of how it looks now:

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/925/dscf3580i.jpg

The only thing that has changed is the stuff sitting on top of it lol. I do plan on throwing the B20A in the SE-i. I always wanted to get it running so hopefully, it'll happen.

I haven't driven the hatch for around 7 months :( I did take it for a bomb the other day and it started even before I turned the key(she want's to drive!!). It'll be back on the road this summer I hope, I have to get it in the shop asap for that to happen.

Vector is the one with the rwd hatch, he's in kelowna and I still haven't seen it. I plan to this year though.

Mini meet would be fun :D

Is Vector still around? I saw the vid of him ripping around in it but I never did see if he finished the rest of the stuff he had planned for it.

I think my 3rd gen will be off the road in the summer but hey, any meet with any Accord is good for me.

Don't mean to jack your thread man,but does anyone know what happened to the black sedan with the green flame job.I know it was quite a while ago,but just wondering what happened to that car.

Well, kinda random I suppose lol. You must be thinking of darkaccord89.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44250

Nice to finally see a charcoal granite SE-i sedan on here.

Thanks. I'm still trying to figure out the paint code for this car as the door jamb label is missing. It seems to match the charcoal granite (NH-91M) when I painted the spoiler but my paint list says the SE-i should be a dark gray metallic clearcoat (NH-531M-3).

charliekuney
04-03-2011, 08:43 PM
Thanks. I'm still trying to figure out the paint code for this car as the door jamb label is missing. It seems to match the charcoal granite (NH-91M) when I painted the spoiler but my paint list says the SE-i should be a dark gray metallic clearcoat (NH-531M-3).

I'm fairly certain it's Charcoal Granite, as SE-i sedans only came in that color and Tuscany Taupe. Coupes "only" came in Brittany Blue and Asturias Grey, although there have been occasional Monterey Green and Navajo Red (Canada) coupes.

/threadjack

YK86
04-03-2011, 10:53 PM
This is what's confusing me. Charcoal granite (nh-531m) is the same color as my 4th gen. After I looked at the 3geez wiki, I was like great, they are the same color especially since i had paint left over. But after comparing the 2, it's definitely not the same regardless of if it has faded or not.

Now after looking through my paint manual, it says that for 1989 (and one year only), they had a dark gray metallic clearcoat paint code nh-531m-3 which is a slightly lighter shade than the charcoal granite, and darker than the regular graphite gray (nh-91m). Unfortunately, my local paint shop's paint catalogue was missing the 1989 page so I can't compare the 2.

Oh well, the nh-91m matches good enough for now. I have a feeling they blended the 2 when they fixed the front end and rear quarter.

MessyHonda
04-04-2011, 02:33 AM
looking good...i have b20 stuff if you need any

88LXi68
04-04-2011, 09:11 AM
welcome back yasu

2oodoor
04-04-2011, 10:57 AM
I think it is amazng you keep all your cars.
What is that Quadrajet four barrel carb doing on the B20 eh eh eh, double take I did on that pic lol

YK86
04-04-2011, 02:20 PM
looking good...i have b20 stuff if you need any

Thanks man! I'll be pm'ing you shortly after I figure out what I want to do.

welcome back yasu

Thanks! How've you been?

I think it is amazng you keep all your cars.
What is that Quadrajet four barrel carb doing on the B20 eh eh eh, double take I did on that pic lol

WOW, good eye!! Yes, that is a Quadrajet hahaha. It's for the 85 Suburban beside the silver Accord. The one on the B20 is the original that got taken out for a rebuilt one. One of my other projects I finished last year. I just need to do something about the sagging headliner.

I am lucky I live where I live as I have the luxury of being able to keep a few cars or else the 86 would have had to be long gone.

charliekuney
04-04-2011, 07:10 PM
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/680/89accordsei3medium4je.jpg

"Available in either Charcoal Granite or Tuscany Taupe, the Accord SE-i sedan..."

:/

YK86
04-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Well, I guess my car is f'ed up then lol. I checked the most reliable spots which tend to be original paint (door jamb and engine bay) on top of the rest of the panels and none matched the charcoal granite.

88LXi68
04-05-2011, 06:33 AM
Thanks! How've you been?
Pretty good! I still have my never ending project, but I haven't really done much to it lately...it has kind of been neglected. I am going to have to get back on top of it once I get a garage again.

86AccordLxi
04-05-2011, 12:01 PM
Holy crap, blast from the past!

import racer
04-06-2011, 11:30 AM
Yeah thats the one,did he ever get his car fixed or build another accord.Is darkaccord around any more.Thanks yk86.

YK86
04-10-2011, 07:08 PM
Pretty good! I still have my never ending project, but I haven't really done much to it lately...it has kind of been neglected. I am going to have to get back on top of it once I get a garage again.

Nice. I think we are all in the same boat.......my silver Accord has some kind of green moss growing on it and lots of mouse poop in the engine bay lol. Majorly neglected.

For me, depending on the time of year, it's never ending because a)I'm too busy b)have an attention span of a 2 year old and move on to a new project before I finish the last one c)just lazy

Holy crap, blast from the past!

Hello! Good to see you're still around. Do you still have your custom Koni yellows for the the 3rd gen? I might send mine out to get revalved and modified in the future.

Yeah thats the one,did he ever get his car fixed or build another accord.Is darkaccord around any more.Thanks yk86.

I have no clue lol. Sorry.