PDA

View Full Version : Center vent removal (dumb question)

AZmike
10-13-2002, 10:00 AM
I'm trying to get my climate control buttons out so I can resolder the LEDs and I can't get the center vent out. I've got the cover off that goes below the buttons and removed all the scres that connect to the button assembly. I think there are 2 more screws holding the buttons in that are underneath the vent that I can't get to without pulling it out first. When I pull on it the vanes for the right side don't move and the frame of the vents seems stuck on the left side. Am I missing something. I'm hesitant to pull hard since all the interior plastic on this car seems so brittle. I'd hate to break something while trying to fix it.

Thanks

ACCORD EX
10-13-2002, 11:02 AM
check this how to ! and good luck !

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=118

MIKE

ACCORD EX
10-13-2002, 11:03 AM
shit ! i just noticed that how to doesn't contain how to get the assembly out ! :(

MIKE

AZmike
10-13-2002, 11:22 AM
That's ok. That how-to is why I wanted everything apart in the first place. Anyway, I removed some of the dash screws and pulled the left vent and surround out. The other vent was held in by the cable connected to the toggle switch between the vents. Then I saw that there were no screws, but a tab on either side I needed to depress to remove the buttons. If I had known that, I wouldn't have had to remove the vent in the first place. Oh well, after a few minutes I was able to reassemble my exploded vent and get the buttons inside for disassembly and soldering.

Mike's89AccordLX
10-13-2002, 12:03 PM
What size bulbs are those leds?

smufguy
10-13-2002, 12:42 PM
The leds are regular clear leds tht glow amber (yellow-orange) and the others are green.

smufguy
10-13-2002, 12:46 PM
the regular one as in the round top cylinderical ones. (medium size led = regular ones)

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F010%5F012%5F002%5F009&product%5Fid=276%2D316

88WhiteLX-i
10-13-2002, 07:31 PM
So would you say it's easy to take all that crap apart to get at the LED's to re-solder them??!?! Because Iam considering it, but Iam not sure if it's worth the hassle.

ACCORD EX
10-14-2002, 12:24 AM
my A/c switch's led is out ! but i won't do the this till i 'll have all the lights out ! :)

MIKE

Stegge
11-12-2003, 03:30 AM
Did I understand this right?

No need to remove the center vents to remove the heater control buttons???

'89AccordLX(Rus)
11-12-2003, 03:28 PM
Once the button assembly is out of the dash it can be taken appart to apoint where you just have a circuitboard. The LEDs are easy to access and resolder. When I did it, it took me no more than a half hour to break down the console and resolder. Now installing blue backlighting on the A/C button was a whole other story. :-D

Bloodlust
11-12-2003, 04:03 PM
Thanks Ive been meaning to ask about this cause I have the same problem in my car. Thanks guys!!

Martinadam
06-27-2016, 01:02 AM
Hi

A point worth recollecting - the TIS is mostly implies and "do stuff in the accompanying request" for techs who have been to BMW preparing as of now. That is the reason it has hyperlinks that say things like "in the first place, evacuate the motor per xx.xxx.xxx" - in case you're acquainted with the referenced method, you don't have to find it. Be that as it may, for somebody who hasn't done this some time recently, you end up with many printout pages in the carport

Anyway, it goes this way:

1) evacuate trim over glove box

2) expel focus trim

3) expel two screws above NAV screen (or whatever is there in non-NAV)

At that point you get to the "turn and yell part". There are two things holding it in now - there is a froth encompass which is utilized as a seal between the air vent you're expelling and the ducting that is staying in the auto. This has a tendency to be tight. Next, there is a link (mechanical linkage, similar to a bike brake link, not and electrical link) between the hot/chilly dial and the "guts" further inside the auto.

Simply squirm the air vent while hauling out and down (perhaps a 30% down edge from level) and it'll pop out. There's some slop in the link, so in case you're simply evacuating the vent to pull the NAV screen or comparative, you can give the vent a chance to dangle by the link. On the off chance that you are really supplanting the vent, just un-snare it from the back of the vent.

5 Speed Speeder
06-29-2016, 07:38 PM
Bump of the decade.... I love how this forum doesnt get pissy about bumping old topics. Pertinent info is always pertinent... Google works in mysterious ways

5 Speed Speeder
06-29-2016, 07:43 PM
on second thought, is that a bot??? Idk because ive never tried to remove the center vent

Martinadam
07-14-2016, 01:42 AM
Hi

Watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9-fhpd47zA
Hope helpful for you.

:)

Thanks

Martinadam
07-21-2016, 01:47 AM
Can you tell why you want to remove center vent. Any issue Like Broken some part Such as Vent Clips. Could you describe Car Model or Name Like It is Acura Mdx , BMW or other..