PDA

View Full Version : SDC heads up L.E.D. voltage monitor

lostforawhile
04-02-2011, 06:55 PM
This is a small project I'm installing while I'm doing the electrical work, this is the SDC heads up L.E.D. voltage monitor. I'm going to probably pull the alternator warning bulb, remove the red filter from behind the icon, and install the L.E.D. from this in it's place. This gives you an instant status of your electrical system, it's a tri color LED. when the system voltage is normal, 12-15 volts DC it's a steady green, 11-12 volts, it's amber for caution, 10-11 volts DC, it's red for warning, when it encounters abnormal voltage, over 15 volts, the LED flashes green, when below 10 volts it flashes red. the system also cycles through the colors on start up to do a self diagnostic
under a non flashing state, the LED dims after a short period of time, to prevent glare at night. when it encounters a high or low voltage situation, it goes to full brightness. This is much better then the simple idiot light, which really tells you nothing. All it does is come on when the alternator quits, no warning, no indication of whats going on, no indication of high voltage. No advance warning of a problem, I have a voltmeter, but sometimes it's hard to notice a problem if you aren't watching it. I have a number of items that can be damaged by high voltage, including my fuel pump, my ignition box, and my Odyssey battery, . Not to mention it could damage other onboard electronics, or factory modules. We have had several members lately who have had alternator problems with high voltage doing damage

These are sold on Ebay right now for around 30 bucks, cheap insurance to protect your electrical system.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/aug262009download476.jpg

87roach
04-02-2011, 09:35 PM
Interesting device, what does it splice into exactly?

lostforawhile
04-02-2011, 09:36 PM
Interesting device, what does it splice into exactly?
just power and ground, it monitors the voltage,just like a voltmeter

87roach
04-02-2011, 09:40 PM
Wouldn't the reading be inconsistent if you have numerous accessories on at once? Or is it made to work with those in mind?

lostforawhile
04-02-2011, 09:43 PM
Wouldn't the reading be inconsistent if you have numerous accessories on at once? Or is it made to work with those in mind?
well it's measuring line voltage, I guess it would depend on where you tied in, if the voltage is dropping that much, then you probably have an electrical issue anyway. the ranges it operates in seem to be wide enough to not have an issue, with the alternator operating correctly it should stay a steady green, no matter what you have operating,

87roach
04-02-2011, 09:45 PM
Well yes, in a normal case.

However I think in your case you've added quite a bit of extra's so I was curious to see what it would do.

Like you said though, much better then the stock idiot light as long as you know how to read the colours.

87roach
04-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Depending on how this turns out I may think of installing one, then again once my volt gauge is in there may not be a need..

lostforawhile
04-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Well yes, in a normal case.

However I think in your case you've added quite a bit of extra's so I was curious to see what it would do.

Like you said though, much better then the stock idiot light as long as you know how to read the colours.
well I'm running that 98 civic alternator, I'm going to get the kit to change it to a high output, once it's mounted and aligned right, I shouldn't have an issue, anytime the system is running, you should have at least 13.5 volts, if it's much lower there's not enough voltage to cause the battery to charge, the alternator runs your electrical system when the engine is running, it's voltage has to be higher then the battery to allow current to flow into it, the battery is pretty much along for the ride when the system is running. The widest misconception about automotive electrical systems is the battery powering everything, the battery does nothing but start the car, and power things with the engine off, plus act as a voltage stabilizer for the alternator.

lostforawhile
04-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Depending on how this turns out I may think of installing one, then again once my volt gauge is in there may not be a need..

well the main reason I put it in, is even though I have gauges, it's really easy to over look them sometimes, I kept the oil pressure light in addition to the gauge for that reason. the gauge becomes a confirmation for the light. you get into a zone where you ignore the gauges, same reason they have warning lights in addition to gauges in race cars.

87roach
04-03-2011, 08:21 AM
Yea I was aware of how the alternator and battery work together(you're right though, about most people not knowing), I just hope it's enough to run all your stuff.

I'll wait for the install to see how it goes.

gp02a0083
04-03-2011, 08:42 AM
I like this idea, id like to see a mini digital readout , if that would be small enough to fit into the cluster i think that would be neat. The only thing i don't like about it is the range it senses, to me the voltage window is kinda wide compared to a gauge . If i also remember right there should be a spare socket or two in the cluster on the left, i think this was the ABS indicator light socket. Lost if you need another gauge face to cut up for this i have a few 86-87's and a few 88-89's i can send yah.

i suppose you could also have something like this on the oil system covering ranges of psi with a pressure sensor.

lostforawhile
04-03-2011, 09:05 AM
I like this idea, id like to see a mini digital readout , if that would be small enough to fit into the cluster i think that would be neat. The only thing i don't like about it is the range it senses, to me the voltage window is kinda wide compared to a gauge . If i also remember right there should be a spare socket or two in the cluster on the left, i think this was the ABS indicator light socket. Lost if you need another gauge face to cut up for this i have a few 86-87's and a few 88-89's i can send yah.

i suppose you could also have something like this on the oil system covering ranges of psi with a pressure sensor.
I have a gauge, but it's at the center of the dash, So this is mainly an indicator of an issue, I think anyone who has their gauges in the cup holder, center console area might have the same problem. Mine are where the clock would have been. If you have one of those inlays with the icons on it,it would be helpful, and maby some of the little plastic colored inserts. it doesn't matter what year, I'm going to use the existing battery icon, but add one that says volt with a red insert to an empty slot. Just to keep the factory warning light. all you have to do to disconnect the factory light is take out the bulb, then drill a quarter inch hole in the back of the white plastic, to put in the led, really easy. I'll post pictures.

Dr_Snooz
04-03-2011, 07:54 PM
Are you really expecting to have so much trouble with your alternator that you need a heads up display? You must be buying those O'Reilly alternators, LOL.

lostforawhile
04-03-2011, 08:02 PM
Are you really expecting to have so much trouble with your alternator that you need a heads up display? You must be buying those O'Reilly alternators, LOL.I hope I never have an issue, but if I do, this will give me enough warning to prevent damage, better then frying my battery,ignition box and fuel pump, the ignition box would probably be ok, but the facet pumps don't like over voltage and neither do the Odyssey batteries. If you get over 15 on the voltage, the emergency vent in the battery opens and it's ruined. the factory warning lights are pretty unreliable anyway, they depend on the voltage regulator to function, if the regulator fails, the light never comes on. I've had a couple of dead alternators that failed with no indication

lostforawhile
04-03-2011, 08:43 PM
didn't cost me anything either, just buying and selling parts on the net. My wife lets me spend whatever I make selling parts to buy parts

lostforawhile
04-03-2011, 10:37 PM
what I need now is some sort of vinyl overlay that says volts or something like it, with a clear background to go in the blanked out spot http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/aug262009download488.jpg

lostforawhile
04-04-2011, 02:50 PM
Ok I made the frosted insert for the cluster,

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/aug262009download494.jpg

this is a video of it being tested, the first test is a low voltage condition, just over 12 volts, if it was lower it would have alerted me with flashing red. it will go through a self diagnostic mode whenever it's powered up. The second test is with the battery charger switched on, it shows a healthy 13.5 volts. You'll see the intensity dim after a few seconds, if there was a high or low condition, the intensity will come back up,

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/th_aug262009download496.jpg (http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/?action=view&current=aug262009download496.mp4)

Dr_Snooz
04-04-2011, 02:50 PM
I hope I never have an issue, but if I do, this will give me enough warning to prevent damage, better then frying my battery,ignition box and fuel pump, the ignition box would probably be ok, but the facet pumps don't like over voltage and neither do the Odyssey batteries. If you get over 15 on the voltage, the emergency vent in the battery opens and it's ruined. the factory warning lights are pretty unreliable anyway, they depend on the voltage regulator to function, if the regulator fails, the light never comes on. I've had a couple of dead alternators that failed with no indication

I see. I have a gauge pack that includes a voltmeter. I hear you about the crummy stock idiot lights. You can make a gigantic mess and never see the lights. I burned up my first engine because the oil pressure light didn't turn on.

lostforawhile
04-04-2011, 02:56 PM
I see. I have a gauge pack that includes a voltmeter. I hear you about the crummy stock idiot lights. You can make a gigantic mess and never see the lights. I burned up my first engine because the oil pressure light didn't turn on.
Yea I have a voltmeter and oil pressure gauge, but it's easy to get in the habit of ignoring them, you get in a certain, mindset about the gauges and it's easy to overlook something, this is the reason they teach you to scan in an aircraft, to avoid overlooking something , the warning indicator is just to give you a heads up to look at the gauge, there's an issue with something going on

gp02a0083
04-04-2011, 05:38 PM
what I need now is some sort of vinyl overlay that says volts or something like it, with a clear background to go in the blanked out spot http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/aug262009download488.jpg

wonder if i can make something that small on the laser cutter at work

Lost , whats the dimensions of the blanked out spot? Ill try cutting some 0.092 Mylar tomorrow.

lostforawhile
04-04-2011, 06:03 PM
wonder if i can make something that small on the laser cutter at work

Lost , whats the dimensions of the blanked out spot? Ill try cutting some 0.092 Mylar tomorrow.
i'll try to get them in a bit, something is going on around here a bunch of people just ran through the yard yelling about getting guns

gp02a0083
04-04-2011, 08:08 PM
i'll try to get them in a bit, something is going on around here a bunch of people just ran through the yard yelling about getting guns

Just give me a heads up if its the beginning of the zombie apocalypse.....

lostforawhile
04-04-2011, 09:48 PM
Just give me a heads up if its the beginning of the zombie apocalypse.....

the length for the icon is apx. .600 long by .300 high

Hazwan
04-05-2011, 05:38 AM
I wouldn't mind one of those. Way better than a meter and the idiot light that does nothing more than LOLBATTERY.

gp02a0083
04-05-2011, 10:04 AM
the length for the icon is apx. .600 long by .300 high

i assume your talking inches lost?

gp02a0083
04-05-2011, 10:40 AM
i made 3 different templates on the laser cutter today, ill take pictures later. If i get like a Mylar or vinyl to stick onto the 3M 966 PSA i can make a decal

lostforawhile
04-05-2011, 02:25 PM
i assume your talking inches lost?

yep just in decimal form, sorry used to using decimals not fractions anymore

labeledsk8r
04-05-2011, 03:01 PM
this is by far one of the better things i have seen you find and put in your car, seems like an interesting peice that im now interested in.

also for everyone running volt gauges aswell heres an idea, use this LED to light up your volt gauge, so the backglow will be whatever status the voltage is, so i na fast glance you can get an idea but if you do see a "bad color" you can then actully check your readings, just a thought

lostforawhile
04-05-2011, 03:18 PM
this is by far one of the better things i have seen you find and put in your car, seems like an interesting peice that im now interested in.

also for everyone running volt gauges aswell heres an idea, use this LED to light up your volt gauge, so the backglow will be whatever status the voltage is, so i na fast glance you can get an idea but if you do see a "bad color" you can then actully check your readings, just a thought

that's a good idea, I wonder if a second LED could be added to this for the gauge? all it is is a combo red/green LED, each color has a terminal with a center common, yellow is created by both being on at one time

gp02a0083
04-06-2011, 04:16 AM
yep just in decimal form, sorry used to using decimals not fractions anymore

no that's fine, the laser cutter uses decimals anyway.

i have some already made, im going to cut reverse ones so that they can be applied to the back of the gauge.

Xaisk
04-06-2011, 05:13 AM
Yeah I like this project. It glows green when healthy, yellow when a bit below, and red when its way below the right voltage. It also flashs green when its over the voltage limit. Very very good idea. I agree with lost on the way to wire it up. If something is going to cut power from one of the main lines enough to make it drop to red then something overall is probally going wrong with your system.

lostforawhile
04-06-2011, 01:31 PM
no that's fine, the laser cutter uses decimals anyway.

i have some already made, im going to cut reverse ones so that they can be applied to the back of the gauge.
they have to be normal facing ones, I designed the plastic insert for it to adhere to the top of it, like the factory icons are

lostforawhile
04-06-2011, 01:33 PM
Yeah I like this project. It glows green when healthy, yellow when a bit below, and red when its way below the right voltage. It also flashs green when its over the voltage limit. Very very good idea. I agree with lost on the way to wire it up. If something is going to cut power from one of the main lines enough to make it drop to red then something overall is probally going wrong with your system.

it's red at 12 volts, if it drops below 12 volts it starts flashing red. a healthy battery is just slightly over 12 if you turned off the car, when it starts losing a lot of it's charge i drops below 12

lostforawhile
04-06-2011, 07:43 PM
A little bit of mounting info, the unit is so small it can be mounted just about anywhere, in my case, it's attached to the bracket next to the glovebox.

I already had things mounted to this bracket, so I had to add a little bit of steel to it.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd158/lostforawhile/IMG_1744.jpg

this is the microprocesser for the unit, plus the control box for the power folding mirrors, and the relay to let the alarm control the mirrors

it stays out of the way next to the glovebox.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd158/lostforawhile/IMG_1745.jpg
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd158/lostforawhile/IMG_1746.jpg
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd158/lostforawhile/IMG_1746.jpg

gp02a0083
04-06-2011, 09:51 PM
i cut these out at work if you want them. if i have something like a white vinyl sheet i could make a decal. i didn't think the laser cutter would cut that small

top volt has a border around it, the bottom one doesn't
http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af208/lawren71/New%201989%20Accord/100_0611.jpg?t=1302155059

i made a battery icon too, just did it for the hell of it. had to set the cutter to a different power level for the etching and i wasn't able to stop it from burning a hole through it

http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af208/lawren71/New%201989%20Accord/100_0612.jpg?t=1302155059

lostforawhile
04-06-2011, 10:22 PM
i cut these out at work if you want them. if i have something like a white vinyl sheet i could make a decal. i didn't think the laser cutter would cut that small

top volt has a border around it, the bottom one doesn't
http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af208/lawren71/New%201989%20Accord/100_0611.jpg?t=1302155059

i made a battery icon too, just did it for the hell of it. had to set the cutter to a different power level for the etching and i wasn't able to stop it from burning a hole through it

http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af208/lawren71/New%201989%20Accord/100_0612.jpg?t=1302155059

yea I'll give them a try, I appreciate all the time you put into that , pm me for the info

gp02a0083
04-12-2011, 07:07 PM
you get the decals yet lost?

lostforawhile
04-13-2011, 01:22 PM

no not yet, possibly tomorrow

lostforawhile
04-15-2011, 02:44 PM

they got here fine, the logo size is perfect, but they disappear against the backdrop, after using a magnifying glass a very bright light, the factory logos,even though they appear white, are actually a very dark silver, this is why if you look at them from behind, they look black, this is to block all light from going through the logo itself, this way,when the back light comes on, the logo appears very sharp against the light. I'm glad I discovered this before anyone else tried this, so the logo has to be a dark silver on clear to show properly, it's an illusion that they are white

http://www.larson-ent.com/images/thumb/466.jpg
volts

lostforawhile
05-15-2011, 09:06 PM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/aug262009download538.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/aug262009download539.jpg

I still need someone who can print on the vinyl decal ,material, the other ones simply don't show up

lostforawhile
05-16-2011, 12:38 AM
can someone print color on clear vinyl?

lostforawhile
05-16-2011, 12:53 AM
I see. I have a package that includes a voltmeter gauge

yea my voltmeter is in the middle of my dash, but this is right in direct line of site.

lostforawhile
07-13-2011, 06:15 AM
I FINALLY got the cluster back together, did some updates, and some minor modifications, you'll notice the icons are different, the extra headlight icon is for the aux lamp indicator, it's green,the blank indicator on the far left is for the RFID system timer indicator, it flashes for 30 seconds after the system recognizes the key fob, the factory battery icon is now black, and the bulb is removed, on the right where the cruise control indicator would be, is now the battery icon, with the heads up indicator LED, it now glows the color to indicate battery condition at a glance, i removed the factory warning lamp, as it is now redundant, and pretty inaccurate,when the system indicates normal voltage, the battery icon glows green, and the system dims it after a short period of time, any change,it comes back to full brightness to indicate an electrical voltage condition, think of it as a smart charging lamp, the original system, doesn't even indicate anything to do with voltage, only if the field is receiving voltage, the entire system could have failed and the light would never come on. I had to make a clear frosted diffuser to fit in the bulb housing, this got rid of the LED spot effect, this was a major pain in the ass to change these icons, apparently some sadistic idiot at Honda, decided to make the left and right side icons,slightly different sizes, I had to do a bunch of water sanding and cutting to fit al the icons back in the plate, I picked up an extra cluster at the yard, for the spare gauges, so I used those icons to make this up.

sorry the picture looks washed out, the flash does that to you, i need to also polish up the plexi cover

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/IMG_1941.jpg