PDA

View Full Version : egr?

CzEcHy
04-07-2011, 12:34 PM
I have two pipes leading from my 88 LX exhaust manifold. They lead to the intake manifold.

One is on the side and the other routes to the top of the intake manifold.

I was going to switch to an LXi manifold and my question was can both pipes be removed with no problems. I heard one is the EGR pipe and it will cause pinging if removed.

Also I have a weber 38 so the pipes seem useless, may I remove and plug/weld them shut?

import racer
04-07-2011, 03:55 PM
One is egr and the other is the air suction one I think.You dont need them unless you need to pass emissions.I have both removed from mine and have no problems.

cygnus x-1
04-08-2011, 08:49 PM
The upper one is the air suction. It allows fresh air into exhaust to help the catalytic converter do its thing. So it's for emissions control only. The EGR can also be removed but you may lose a little bit of fuel mileage. It won't be much, maybe 1 MPG or something. It shouldn't ping if the timing is set right.

C|

CzEcHy
04-08-2011, 09:11 PM
Maybe ill see if I can keep the egr then.. I was going to get the weber tuned and the timing may need advancing or w.e so I don't want a ping from that.. sucks tho cause the nut on the manifold is stuck and I dunno how to get the pipe off easier.