PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter Washer Question.

firefighterwhite89
04-10-2011, 05:37 PM
I went to attain the little copper washer that goes under the 6mm service bolt on the 86' Fuel Filter today. I wound up with a zinc coated steel 3/16" SAE flat washer...there were no copper washers smaller than 3/4". It fits the bolt, but is alittle movable, but i'm postive it'll work. Just curious if i really need that $6 tiny copper washer from Honda...AND if the fuel will eat at the steel zinc coated flat washer...:violin:

lostforawhile
04-10-2011, 05:53 PM
I went to attain the little copper washer that goes under the 6mm service bolt on the 86' Fuel Filter today. I wound up with a zinc coated steel 3/16" SAE flat washer...there were no copper washers smaller than 3/4". It fits the bolt, but is alittle movable, but i'm postive it'll work. Just curious if i really need that $6 tiny copper washer from Honda...AND if the fuel will eat at the steel zinc coated flat washer...:violin:

it's nothing to do with it eating the washer, the washer is dead soft copper, when you tighten the bolt, it deforms and creates a seal, a plain washer won't do this. You might be able to find one in an auto parts store, by looking for brake banjo bolt washers, they are the same thing

firefighterwhite89
04-10-2011, 06:01 PM
it's nothing to do with it eating the washer, the washer is dead soft copper, when you tighten the bolt, it deforms and creates a seal, a plain washer won't do this. You might be able to find one in an auto parts store, by looking for brake banjo bolt washers, they are the same thing

Thank You!
I searched awhile today and all i could come up with was this dinky steel washer :/
And I AM NOT PAYING $6 FOR A FKN TINY COPPER WASHER FROM HONDA!

lostforawhile
04-10-2011, 06:04 PM
Thank You!
I searched awhile today and all i could come up with was this dinky steel washer :/
And I AM NOT PAYING $6 FOR A FKN TINY COPPER WASHER FROM HONDA!

you might be able to order a bunch of them from someplace like MSC, all you need is the inside diameter, the outside diameter, and that it has to be dead soft copper, it's going to be metric, thats why the one you have now moves

YK86
04-10-2011, 06:26 PM
Did you crack open that pressure relief bolt? Is that why you need to change it? Although it's not by the book, I actually reuse that washer and never had a problem. I only replace the washers when I change the fuel filter since it comes with the filter but that's about it.

Too bad you didn't live close by, I have a whole bunch of spare ones I'd just give you.

Dr_Snooz
04-10-2011, 07:21 PM
Those crush washers cause me no end of irritation. They are so hard to find that you never have them when you need them. Like you, I'm not about to drive 40 miles out of my way to get raped by Honda for them either. For the more common ones like the one that seals the oil pan drain bolt, I order them by the box from Rock Auto. For the less common ones like the fuel filter and brake calipers, I bought this kit (http://www.harborfreight.com/110-piece-copper-washer-assortment-67526.html) from Harbor Freight. It's only available in SAE, but so far that hasn't been a problem. If I'm really in a jam, I'll smear the old washer with RTV before putting it on and torquing it down. That has worked great on drain bolts and the stupid gigantor crush washer that seals the MT fill plug. I wouldn't do that on a gas fitting though. I've gotten them to reseal by over-torquing them also.

firefighterwhite89
04-11-2011, 10:14 AM
Did you crack open that pressure relief bolt? Is that why you need to change it? Although it's not by the book, I actually reuse that washer and never had a problem. I only replace the washers when I change the fuel filter since it comes with the filter but that's about it.

Too bad you didn't live close by, I have a whole bunch of spare ones I'd just give you.

Well, after being well intoxicated, i went outside and popped the hood to figure out where i was going to put my digi FP gauge, and pulled the service bolt to check it out, and take it to see what i could find to adapt from the M6x1.0 service bolt. Thank god the washer's uber tiny and i was drunk. Little shit fell off my valve cover and into the grass...and it was never to be found again.

Those crush washers cause me no end of irritation. They are so hard to find that you never have them when you need them. Like you, I'm not about to drive 40 miles out of my way to get raped by Honda for them either. For the more common ones like the one that seals the oil pan drain bolt, I order them by the box from Rock Auto. For the less common ones like the fuel filter and brake calipers, I bought this kit (http://www.harborfreight.com/110-piece-copper-washer-assortment-67526.html) from Harbor Freight. It's only available in SAE, but so far that hasn't been a problem. If I'm really in a jam, I'll smear the old washer with RTV before putting it on and torquing it down. That has worked great on drain bolts and the stupid gigantor crush washer that seals the MT fill plug. I wouldn't do that on a gas fitting though. I've gotten them to reseal by over-torquing them also.

Actually, i reuse the same copper washers a good bit from time to time. Especially the fuel filter service bolt washer. BUT, for my oil drain bolt, i lost that huge copper washer too, SO, i used a rubber oring that fit the drain bolt tightly. Better seal IMHO. And cost me $0.05 vs. $1.99 for 3.
I don't buy my parts from the Honda dealer, as i can generally 19/20 times, find it at O'Reilly auto, where they have the Lifetime Warranty on near everything, and the same parts nearly for about 200-300% less $.
O'Reilly's=$
Honda=$$$$$$$$$

firefighterwhite89
04-11-2011, 10:18 AM
Couldn't i find this washer at a Lawnmower/Tractor store? We have a tractor store for every auto store here. And we have like 20-30 auto stores in HSV alone...

YK86
04-11-2011, 11:06 AM
Have you considered just buying a new fuel filter? For around $12, you'd get a new filter and the washer you need. If you've just recently changed it, you can just use the washer and in a year or 2, you can use the extra filter.

firefighterwhite89
04-11-2011, 11:14 AM
Have you considered just buying a new fuel filter? For around $12, you'd get a new filter and the washer you need. If you've just recently changed it, you can just use the washer and in a year or 2, you can use the extra filter.

True. Very True. I may go that route.

Only thing stopping me is the current Fuel Filter is less than 1000 miles old.

Lesson #420: DO NOT WORK WITH TINY IMPORTANT CAR PARTS WHILE INTOXICATED. :cheers:

Dr_Snooz
04-12-2011, 08:28 AM
i used a rubber oring that fit the drain bolt tightly. Better seal IMHO.

I'm not sure how you have it set up, but I wouldn't do it that way. If you get any kind of crankcase pressure, it could push the oring out of the way, dump all your oil on the highway and give you a nice toasted engine for your trouble. It depends on how you've done it, but I wouldn't chance it myself.