PDA

View Full Version : TPS needs replacing

prince_frog
04-11-2011, 10:25 AM
What other cars share the same tps as 3geez accord? Im having problem trying to get one. I am at the edge of junking my 89 accord. After a full rebuilt the idle went crazy, the ecu flash code 7 and no CEL. I diagnosis the car like alldata said. The reading were good up to the tps(throttle angle sensor) connector but nothing from there on toward the ecu. If anyone knows where I can get a tps/tas for the 3geez, let me know. Thanks in advance.

YK86
04-11-2011, 11:12 AM
Was the tps fine before the rebuild? Any chance it hit the firewall when you went to reinstall the motor? They usually don't die all of a sudden. Is the voltage readings coming from it ok (0.5V closed, roughly 4.5V at WOT)?

Unfortunately, no one seems to sell the tps by itself so I can't get a cross reference catalogue to look at to tell you what other cars used the same tps. I assume you have no junkyards nearby with another 88/89 Accord?

prince_frog
04-11-2011, 12:47 PM
I believe I didn't drop it anywhere but I did clean the complete intake assembly with brake clean. I might have gotten some brake clean into the tps/tas. Voltage reads fine exactly in spec for tps/tas connector, but when you take readings at the ecu harness nothing is there at closed throttle and nothing at WOT. Around where I live it's very hard to come by an 88-89 accord that hasn't been strip to the bones or even one in a boneyard. I got a quote and they were going to give me $175 for the 89 accord, but engine is way too new. I have found an 89 accord coupe for $950 but has lots of rust, so unsure of what I want to do yet.

DBMaster
04-11-2011, 12:50 PM
I'm interested in this thread. The TPS is riveted on my car. I figure there is probably an aftermarket TPS that can be installed after drilling out the rivets. To go OEM you have to replace the whole throttle body. Want to know if anyone has tried this.

Pico
04-11-2011, 01:09 PM
You can use a dremel or a file and slot the head so you can use a screwdriver to take them off, the rivets are a screw on type

DBMaster
04-11-2011, 02:13 PM
^^Cool. Where would one purchase a compatible TPS to replace it?

lostforawhile
04-11-2011, 02:23 PM
have you tried putting a wanted ad in the classifieds here, or put one in your signature, I'm sure someone here has a spare they would sell, we have people who hoard parts. I actually had one, even though i'm carb, but someone already needed it.

YK86
04-11-2011, 02:24 PM
It looks like a rivet but it's actually a shear bolt/screw. A hacksaw works well too if you don't have a dremel. I had to adjust mine the other day. I usually replace it with a hexed bolt to make adjusting easier in the future.

For replacement tps, I actually just grab another one from the junkyard. I've never had one fail but I have had several come on imported motors with one broken.

As for the actual problem op has, that is really weird that you are getting the proper voltage at the tps connector but not at the ecu. So closed, you get 0.5ish volts, and as you open the throttle, does the voltage rise in a linear pattern til it his wot and 4.5ish volts? If so, then the tps is fine and you have a break in the wiring harness somewhere.

I have an adaptor I made so I can probe the wires with my multimeter with the connector hooked up properly to the tps. How did you do your test?

DBMaster
04-11-2011, 05:19 PM
I was actually asking where one could purchase a brand new, probably aftermarket, TPS. I don't need one, but some years ago, and import performance shop recommended a "better" TPS. I am just asking out of curiosity. If I went to the trouble of removing the original I wouldn't be too happy with a used part.

prince_frog
04-11-2011, 05:43 PM
the way i measure voltage signal is by probing the back of connector with pins, turn ignition on engine off and using DMM to get reading. I got 4.59v which accord to alldata is the correct voltage.

Then I probe the two wire at the ecu connector that are for the tps w/ ignition on engine off. I got nothing so I push the gas pedal and still nothing at WOT. From there on I test to see if wires were broken by; bypassing the tps with power straight to the wire, then I used the DMM to complete circuit to ground. I got full voltage, I did this test 3 times just to confirm and got same result.

So Now I'm stunned?

YK86
04-11-2011, 05:44 PM
Hmm.......good question. I know from looking it up earlier, they sell aftermarket ones everywhere for the 90+ Accords (which are also used on pretty much any Honda/Acura) but they don't list anything for the 86-89's.

lostforawhile
04-11-2011, 05:48 PM
I was actually asking where one could purchase a brand new, probably aftermarket, TPS. I don't need one, but some years ago, and import performance shop recommended a "better" TPS. I am just asking out of curiosity. If I went to the trouble of removing the original I wouldn't be too happy with a used part.

I understand but sometimes you may not have a choice

YK86
04-11-2011, 05:52 PM
the way i measure voltage signal is by probing the back of connector with pins, turn ignition on engine off and using DMM to get reading. I got 4.59v which accord to alldata is the correct voltage.

Then I probe the two wire at the ecu connector that are for the tps w/ ignition on engine off. I got nothing so I push the gas pedal and still nothing at WOT. From there on I test to see if wires were broken by; bypassing the tps with power straight to the wire, then I used the DMM to complete circuit to ground. I got full voltage, I did this test 3 times just to confirm and got same result.

So Now I'm stunned?

Are you getting 4.59v at WOT? Or closed? If it's closed, you are either probing the wrong wire/the tps is out of adjustment/malfunctioning. I already forgot which wire it was even though I did this last week but I THINK it's the middle wire you need to probe. That wire should read 0.5 closed~4.5 wot. One of the other wires should read roughly around 5V all the time.

prince_frog
04-11-2011, 06:07 PM
I probe the yel/wht wire which is positive and the grn/wht which is negative. The reading I get is 4.59v at a closed throttle and .5v at WOT. According to alldata I should replace the tps.

YK86
04-11-2011, 07:29 PM
It should be the other way around. As the throttle plate opens (gas pedal pushed more), the voltage should increase.

The yellow/white is the positive but this is not the wire you need to probe. That yellow/white wire should have 5V going into the TPS. It should be red/yellow you probe as this is the wire that is sending the output signal to the ecu.

DBMaster
04-12-2011, 08:10 AM
I have an archived email at home (at the office now) with information about a company that will remanufacture and improve our throttle bodies. As I recall, it was not cheap and you'd be without the part while it was shipped off and reworked. I think testing and replacing the TPS, if necessary, is part of the service. I'll have to check on that. If they replace TPS's they should know which aftermarket one will work.

gp02a0083
04-12-2011, 09:43 AM
i Have a throttle body and upper intake for the 88-89 A20

the throttle body is all cleaned up, idk if it still works , but i would assume so being it came off of my first 89 hatch and worked fine.

YK86
04-14-2011, 01:46 AM
I have an archived email at home (at the office now) with information about a company that will remanufacture and improve our throttle bodies. As I recall, it was not cheap and you'd be without the part while it was shipped off and reworked. I think testing and replacing the TPS, if necessary, is part of the service. I'll have to check on that. If they replace TPS's they should know which aftermarket one will work.

I know maxbore.com bores just about any Honda tb that you send them for a pretty good price. They don't list the A series as being an option but I'd assume it would be no issue for them.

Oldblueaccord
04-15-2011, 10:30 AM

So Now I'm stunned?

Broke wires? Signal's not getting back to the ECU.

wp

Dr_Snooz
04-15-2011, 09:34 PM
Is a universal TPS an option?