PDA

View Full Version : I just agreed to buy a B18...

79cord
04-11-2011, 11:13 PM
Not so clever given my current backlog of projects..
The temptations of Ebay being to blame.
But I just agreed to buy a 2g integra B18 engine (non vtec) and 5-speed. Seller is wreaking his damaged car & agreed to sell EFI system, wiring etc & frt exhaust as well for reasonable sum.
I'm still afraid this may still add up to unreasonable once I start thinking of all the other potential bits I'd still be wanting... Starter, alternator, g/shift linkage, driveshafts, radiator?, Electronic speedo?, fuel pump(possibly 1g integra?). Upgraded 4x100 brake bits I may have but have also heard of possibly better 262mm size options.
Will probably still wind up more than if I'd gone to buy a wreaked one at auction, (though last purchase of wreaked 1g integra ended up being another car I wanted to save!).

Naturally this would be for a 1979 Accord hatch conversion:
http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/2/3208/4541/20519770009_large.jpg

Probably this sad one rather than my daily beige.
More work but I wouldn't feel so guilty doing more outrageous things to it than I would dare to do upon my old one.

Still have to determine precisely how much I am buying & removal/transport.
might even be able to cut entire front off it complete if he's game?

MessyHonda
04-11-2011, 11:27 PM
you can do it...just slap some bike carbs on the motor

eduardo i.
04-12-2011, 05:25 AM
Buy a totaled teg; that way you cant save it but you have alot of parts :)

2ndGenGuy
04-12-2011, 08:32 AM
Well that other car looks like a fine candidate for some serious customization. :) I think it would be a serious hoot with that B18 in it!

2oodoor
04-12-2011, 03:41 PM
yep carb it!, what distributor would ya use...the first gen integra just as in our b20a? That would be easy to get going other than axles and cutting and welding up the donar metal boxes for mount arrangement.

79cord
04-12-2011, 10:00 PM
Going to see the guy on Sunday so we shall see how much I will end up getting.
I think I will be leaving the EFI as Honda intended it at first; just to avoid potential Emissions rules legal complaints since locally 'should meet emissions standards of the original vehicle or donor vehicle, which ever is newer'... bike carbs might not even achieve 1979 standards... though I'm still a little tempted to try some on an original Accord motor.

Well that other car looks like a fine candidate for some serious customization. :)

Yep I was imagining some pretty wild custom ideas/wish list for it that probably will not eventuate...
Naturally 4x100 pcd with 4wDiscs & lowered.
De-badged & de-trimmed.
1g Integra seats.
Rear valance is rusted through...so remove & add 'diffuser' venting.
Concealed LED rear license plate lamps replacing huge chrome items.
Bonded flush windscreens for the additional strength (chrome trims stuck on top).
Side window gutters removed & relocated for flushness.
Recessed '77 headlamp mtgs with custom recessed '79 grille.
Custom chromey bumpers... or none with custom frt panel in its place.
Fiberglass reproduction '77 frt fenders (lower to tyres).
Polycarbonate rear windows.
Projector headlamps.
Getting sillyer: Shaved door handles.
Flush & frameless door glass (could be a nightmare but 2g Integra was one of few Honda to do it).
Would love to conceal wipers..

Getting back to reality though I wondered if the B18 drivetrain could be adapted to custom(?) older style frt/rear engine mounts. Most conversions seem to modify the cars to add the right side chassis rail transmission mount & replace/re-fabricate the cars left side chassis mount completely.
Would also prefer to convert Integra to hydraulic clutch like Accord.

Either way it won't happen quickly.

79cord
04-17-2011, 09:58 PM
Went to see the organ donor Yesterday, having agreed to pay $200 for engine & g/box with little knowledge of mileage other than "runs well, new clutch 10,000km ago" suggesting at least 250,000 km to me & a photo suggesting 2nd gen Integra. Having also been told I could get EFI system inc. harness, ECU, intake & exhaust for another $100..

Car is a Sept. 1989 2nd gen Integra having covered 273,000km with 15" aftermarket alloy wheels, lights & electric sunroof that had been "totaled" by its owners running into the corner of a truck damaging bonnet, R.fender, headlight & some of the mounting structure... Probably quite repairable. Talking about all the bits I could conceivably need or use such as driveshafts, starter, alternator, radiator, Electronic speedo?, brakes? & the fact a friend recently got a nice one for $400 needing w/pump & timing belt I was offered this one for that. Naturally I accepted having been concerned how much the additional bits might add to the cost. I could easily sell the good/un-needed bits.

Now to get it home, make room for yet another car... & resist the temptation to "save" the car.

MessyHonda
04-17-2011, 10:04 PM
pics of the donor car

79cord
04-19-2011, 04:10 AM
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqUOKjME1)fquDZBBNmFH0ile!~~_12.JPG
A different teaser engine bay photo.

Going to try fitting an internally rusted out muffler off my '88 1g integra on it before driving it home since its original was sold!

2ndGenGuy
04-19-2011, 07:47 AM
Awesome! You'll have to get some vids when it's all up and running, should be a quick bugger! The best part about the 1g is how light they are compared to even an Integra or Civic.

Hazwan
04-19-2011, 08:17 AM
Going to see the guy on Sunday so we shall see how much I will end up getting.
I think I will be leaving the EFI as Honda intended it at first; just to avoid potential Emissions rules legal complaints since locally 'should meet emissions standards of the original vehicle or donor vehicle, which ever is newer'... bike carbs might not even achieve 1979 standards... though I'm still a little tempted to try some on an original Accord motor.

Yep I was imagining some pretty wild custom ideas/wish list for it that probably will not eventuate...
Naturally 4x100 pcd with 4wDiscs & lowered.
De-badged & de-trimmed.
1g Integra seats.
Rear valance is rusted through...so remove & add 'diffuser' venting.
Concealed LED rear license plate lamps replacing huge chrome items.
Bonded flush windscreens for the additional strength (chrome trims stuck on top).
Side window gutters removed & relocated for flushness.
Recessed '77 headlamp mtgs with custom recessed '79 grille.
Custom chromey bumpers... or none with custom frt panel in its place.
Fiberglass reproduction '77 frt fenders (lower to tyres).
Polycarbonate rear windows.
Projector headlamps.
Getting sillyer: Shaved door handles.
Flush & frameless door glass (could be a nightmare but 2g Integra was one of few Honda to do it).
Would love to conceal wipers..

Getting back to reality though I wondered if the B18 drivetrain could be adapted to custom(?) older style frt/rear engine mounts. Most conversions seem to modify the cars to add the right side chassis rail transmission mount & replace/re-fabricate the cars left side chassis mount completely.
Would also prefer to convert Integra to hydraulic clutch like Accord.

Either way it won't happen quickly.

Those sounds like something that I would do. Good luck sir (Y)

79cord
05-03-2011, 01:57 AM
Ok here's my new organ donor:
http://pxu8dg.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pDnM0nllKl1OV84FbUjdIDHR8U1SZ0ezFIClBMgrWPrZxllH yKyfaS5e5dIDk3ghahx6Pe-dF0IDW1P864XhPklRZWKY_4RQ_/IMG_3720e.jpg?psid=1http://pxu8dg.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pkukSceekNeDPVQZO1eNRjRZ7ODQ0odE8s5RHmBKthQi1lIR Wq-XF7gtyeB_uPCe8L67kViGlM9rDawbr96WXZ23PlKTihsnM/IMG_3751e.jpg?psid=1
http://pxu8dg.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p1f1lgMRiPgn9Bo6Y8uikCDiXLIE9BM2cqsha3qMszam5XdX HL8OPy0eMeB9DsuEJwZneej1VIheQwS6tNCvfPH0_4dp7U0O-/IMG_3748e.jpg?psid=1http://pxu8dg.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p3btKKD6R6j76XYTM8d_NAmrV8p1COSwh6Pb5bk00Xa1dv0W OlzkCrHw9thTrErSUesRfdZPypEPlCdr-x3-xuwUIeVgGHcbf/IMG_3740e.jpg?psid=1

I got an unregistered vehicle permit & drove it home on Saturday.
The seller even discounted the cost of the permit, which he had casually proposed but I hadn't intended to hold him to.
Was a bit loud with no muffler (he'd sold it to a friend!), but sounded great!
Battery flat & probably dead.
No rear brake lights (accident had cut horn wires on the same burnt fuse).
Seems to drive well apart from a few extra squeaks.

So you should understand how I could be tempted to fix it up...

Though now that it's home I can also see evidence of poor previous repairs to the rear of the car with filler sanding marks over/behind the right wheel-arch, terrible rear hatch gaps, a subtle crease from the corner of the fuel-filler door to the left wheel-arch, dents in the roof around the sunroof.....

A late '89 model, apparently it weighs in around 1125kg (possibly including sunroof & air-con that may have been standard here?), with the B18A1 1834cc good for 96kw (130hp) with a 6500 redline {oh dear, the lighter old D16 DOHC had same power & revved further}. Should be fairly torquey though, & obviously can be the basis of far more revisions/power in its family tree (besides which I already have a B16A1 Vtec CR-X & don't need another).
A shame it doesn't have hydraulic clutch actuation like later models & my Accord though.

Should spice up the 200kg lighter Accord (no options) comfortably.
Just have to "finish" a few projects before I even have room to bring the organ recipient over from my parents place...
So don't hold your breath!

A18A
05-03-2011, 02:09 AM
looks like a good car, you could fix that :P oh the world of never ending projects is fun :D