PDA

View Full Version : Damn Stereo Conversion............

Microstreak
10-13-2002, 03:32 PM
i just bought a pioneer deh p7400 and was takin a look a closer look at the head currently in the car, you kno the stock tape deck. neway, i took it out and saw nothing ther, and then asked my dad (who bought the car bout 15 yrs ago) about the stereo. He said that he had it converted by the dealer so that you could pull it out. whn u park the car. (kind of like detachable faces today cept u take the entire stereo out.) anyway, theres nothing in there to hold the cd player in place,

so does anyone had this conversion done or got the car with the conversion and know how to change it back?

:help:

btw, don't start talking bout why my dad did it, he does regret it sayin it wasn't really worth it, but back then(late 80s, brooklyn ny), stereos were stolen like crazy, same w/ accords....

Any real input would be really appreciated

1989se-i
10-13-2002, 05:42 PM
Super Glue

shepherd79
10-13-2002, 06:29 PM
i don't get it. what do you mean removable stereo?
when you putt aftermarket stereo, you should putt metal box where new stereo will slide in. so what is the problem you have?

spertnick
10-13-2002, 06:58 PM
When you get a new stereo it comes with a metal box around it, my cd player happened to fit perfectly most should, put the box in place and it has tabs you push out so that it stays put, then slide the stereo into the box. At least thats what i think you were trying to get at. ~Spertnick what would you do with the tape player if you took it out, mine was like 8lbs.?

Microstreak
10-13-2002, 10:50 PM
well, i kno about the bracket thing, my uncle had it converted back so it could fit a honda tape deck that won't come out(aka it don't got handles that u can yank it out whn ur leaving the car, the thing thats factory) neway, the problem is, that that tape deck is held ther by two screws, and by two screws i mean, someone (prolly my uncle) put two screws between the stereo and the black plastic thing that surounds it so it won't fall out.

i've never installed a head unit before, but im assuming there must be at least something, such as a small thing where i could put the bracket into. i might jus goto a place in queens to get it done instead if i can't figure it out myself but i wanna know if i can do it instead of goin to queens and payin some guy 45-60 for install, you kno what i mean?

shepherd79
10-14-2002, 04:49 AM
there are two screws on the back that hold the deck. you can access them from under and behind the HU.
if that doesn't help, i will see what i can figure out.

DBMaster
10-14-2002, 05:42 PM
When you put in the new stereo make sure you secure the bedable metal bracket on the back to something inside the dash. A lot of stereo installers don't do this because it takes extra time, but it makes the unit much more secure from vibration.

It was also the only thing that kept the MF who broke into my car last year from yanking my CD player. I guess they gave up when it didn't come right out.

jigga225
10-15-2002, 06:28 PM
here's what to do...
get a thin piece of 90 degree angle metal, about 3 inches long. Drill 2 holes in it. ONe on the side there it can screw to the middle of the cd player in the back... and another where it can bolt under the dash where the back of the ole radio used to be.
Its hard to line up but if you do it nobody can get your stereo, without a damn good fight.

DBMaster
10-15-2002, 07:25 PM
Jigga, exactly. I still ended up having to replace my stereo because they decided to go ahead and take the faceplate (I never used to remove the thing in my office lot) and they buggered up the case trying to pry it out. But, they still didn't get the thing because I had it bolted in back to the dash.