PDA

View Full Version : Newby with auto tranny problems

PoppaM
04-14-2011, 09:53 AM
Inherited a 89 coupe from grandson. He says the tranny will not work after it warms up. When I start it and let it sit for awhile (not really warm) it shifts into forward and rev with "normal" clunk. I haven't had it out for a road test as it is not plated. I'm wondering if I could (should) try some Sea Foam Tranny fluid in it. Oil doesn't smell burnt! I have a spare parts car with a manual trans but I'm thinking this might be a bit much for the o'le body, not that I wouldn't mind trying it! Thanks in advance. Wonderful site!!

2drSE-i
04-14-2011, 10:29 AM
Hard to tell from your description, but I'd say first things first try to flush the trans fluid. Chances are you've got 20+ year trans fluid in there. Honestly I need to do the same to mine, the clunk gets pretty annoying.

Edit:

By the by, where are you located? Chances are there is someone local who wouldn't mind helping you out.

anubis_4_99
04-14-2011, 12:18 PM
tranny is toast

had a legend that did the same thing, and after a while it drove less and less, and one day stopped.

2oodoor
04-14-2011, 01:06 PM
now what in the world, you happen to have another 3gen accord parts car with a manual tranny... :stick:

If you ever did this kind of thing before it isnt that bad, get a roll around stool and a good creeper if you have a concrete pad to work off of. It could be a giant THM400 and working off gravel driveway.. :nervous:

Make sure the throttle controled cable to the transmission isnt froze up or binding, that can hold up a lot of shifting if it is defunked.

lostforawhile
04-14-2011, 01:33 PM
now what in the world, you happen to have another 3gen accord parts car with a manual tranny... :stick:

If you ever did this kind of thing before it isnt that bad, get a roll around stool and a good creeper if you have a concrete pad to work off of. It could be a giant THM400 and working off gravel driveway.. :nervous:

Make sure the throttle controled cable to the transmission isnt froze up or binding, that can hold up a lot of shifting if it is defunked.

he's right, us older folks still get out and work on these cars, you want the manual, the auto's are pretty much power sapping junk, it's a different car with that five speed

PoppaM
04-14-2011, 03:38 PM
I live in SW Manitoba Canada (very small town). I sure am tempted to swap the 5 speed. If I did I would swap the whole power train as the motor on 5 speed runs fine, although it does have more miles than the auto. I was planning on flushing out the old fluid but was wondering about using the Sea Foam before the the flush!! Just want to get it on road for now. Don't know if I have enough time to do the swap as golfing season is ready to start in this part of the world real soon!!!

2oodoor
04-14-2011, 04:01 PM
no sea foam for auto transmssion, you dont want to pentetrate any soft materials and make them come loose, that create more problems.

Just a fluid change, and flush is you want I guess. but no snake oils. Just like using old type F fluid or visa versa with Dexron in the old days, you can easliy cause more problems by introducing cleaners or detergent, emulsifiers, etc.. in automatics. Nothing works better to clean than fresh fluid. Honda fluid or synthetic compatable to Honda fluid.

DBMaster
04-14-2011, 06:51 PM
I am gratified that others on this forum know what a THM400 was. My first car had one. A real record setter. Had 212,000 miles on the original unit when I sold the car. Maybe the only auto more bullet-proof than the 3G.

Fluid and filter changes made all the difference on those old GM autos. Most people during those years never touched the transmissions.

Dr_Snooz
04-14-2011, 06:57 PM
I think the first thing you should do is go drive it to find out exactly what it's doing. "Will not work after it warms up" is pretty open ended. It could be that it's slipping, in which case you will be swapping that manual in. Or it could merely be that it's exhibiting a strange behavior because it needs a simple adjustment but drives just fine. If that's the case, your grandson will feel bad when you tell him about it. Just tell him it was a real mess and it took you a long time and a lot of money to get fixed.

Hauntd ca3
04-15-2011, 01:04 AM
I am gratified that others on this forum know what a THM400 was. My first car had one. A real record setter. Had 212,000 miles on the original unit when I sold the car. Maybe the only auto more bullet-proof than the 3G.

Fluid and filter changes made all the difference on those old GM autos. Most people during those years never touched the transmissions.

geez man! we arnt all stupid!
turbohydromatic350 and 400 are bomb proof.
the 700r4 not so good.

butanyhoo
ditch the auto and whack in the manual.
once a honda auto starts to play up, there aint bugger all that will fix it short of a complete rebuild

PoppaM
04-15-2011, 05:15 AM
Thanks all! Guess I might have to put the golfing off for awhile!!! Will keep you posted with Pics!!

dieselgus
04-15-2011, 05:42 AM
Depends on how SW you are in MB, I know of an excellent shop over in Souris if you aren't up to swapping that tranny our of there (Ryan's Repair).

In 33 years of living in the Brandon area, I don't think I was on the course much before May Long at all. Out here in BC, much different story though. Golfing in Canada in January isn't a bad thing at all!

DBMaster
04-15-2011, 06:32 AM
geez man! we arnt all stupid!

LOL! That's not what I meant. I guess I thought that it meant I wasn't the only one here old enough to have owned a car that had a THM400 in high school.

PoppaM
04-15-2011, 08:22 AM
Just SE of Souris a bit so will maybe talk to him. Definitely need "water balls" around here for next while!!

dieselgus
04-15-2011, 06:46 PM
Yeah, pretty heavy snow load when I was back home to Neepawa for the holidays and from what I have seen in the Free Press and the brandon Sun it is getting pretty wet in places. Just be glad you aren't somewhere near Emerson or anywhere north of the perimeter. Golf may be waiting for a bit (although Carberry is usually one of the first to dry out and be pretty playable early thanks to the sandhills and aquifier) this season.

Definately give Ryan a shout, he is a good guy, does really solid work, and actually is the guy that gave me my Accord (that he was pretty surprised is still running just fine at 328,000km. Had a couple drinks with him over the holidays as well and he just smiled when I pulled up in the old gal) when I was moving out here a couple years ago.

MessyHonda
04-17-2011, 08:45 PM
yeah the autos tend to go....it depends on what you want to do. i say have the 5 speed swap ready once the auto dies

PoppaM
10-09-2011, 05:11 AM
Summers over so decided to get back at this project. Drained and replace trans fluid. Took it out for a test drive. It shifts fine in all gears for about 3-4 miles then quits working "major slipping". I turn it off for 4-5 minutes then away I go again for 1-2 miles then quits again and so on and so on. In my "limited knowledge" would there be something that is causing the trans fluid to "foam" and then return to fluid state when cooled down. I had GS out and we have the 5 speed out of parts car ready to be put in but I just wanted to see if there wasn't anything "small" in auto before I tackle that. GS says he wants car back when I have the 5 speed in it. Told him to "pound sand" LOL. Thanks in advance and yes I know your all going to say put 5 speed in but, but!!!