PDA

View Full Version : New guy here

AMWoot
04-14-2011, 08:07 PM
Hey everybody. Just got an 89 accord lxi coupe about 3 days ago. Had just a hair under 200,000 miles. As far as i can tell it runs fine. I am by no means a car aficionado. I can check the oil and now I can tell you what the master cylinder looks like. As the car had a leaky master cylinder and needed to be replaced which has been taken care of. This is my second car as i am only 20 and a college student. It is my first 5 speed so I am still getting used to a clutch and changing gears and all that fun stuff. I was just browsing the internet for some more info on my car and found this little gold nugget of a website.

Basically, what I want to know is what should my I do with it? I don't want to rice it out or anything like but some low-key modifications would be nice or some things to check to make sure the car won't randomly die on me. Like I said I really know nothing about cars, so be gentle please. :)

Dr_Snooz
04-14-2011, 08:19 PM
Welcome! What kind of modding do you want to do? You want it to go faster or look cooler? If you are after looks, then lower it, tint the windows, nice rims and a fresh paint job. If you're thinking about engine mods but don't know how to do your own work, then I'd say leave it alone. The car is the perfect mix of fun, reliability and economy. When you start modding the engine, the economy and reliability go away. If you still have to mod the engine, then get a K&N filter, some platinum plugs and performance wires.

Post pics of your ride when you get to your minimum 5 posts.

Pico
04-14-2011, 08:19 PM
Welcome
there is a ton of info on here, just have to search for it.

AMWoot
04-14-2011, 08:33 PM
Hey, thanks for the warm welcome guys. I wasn't thinking about too many engine mods. I was told by some friends to get a new intake and maybe a new muffler. I wouldn't want anything to make it sound like a fart can, but maybe just a little more guttural. :) Would this affect its economy, because I'm all about those mpgs since I have to commute across atlanta for work and school. What about good head units? It has the original cassette tape player in it (which does not work at all). I would like a a reasonable one. I don't care for it boosting sound quality or doing any other crap. I don't plan on putting a sub in it or anything like that. So just a quality unit.

JDMPrelude23
04-16-2011, 06:43 AM
Welcome to 3geez! congrats on the accord. I got the same one!!! lol

Dr_Snooz
04-16-2011, 07:29 AM
I'm all about those mpgs

Don't change a thing.

What about good head units?

Alpine.

AMWoot
04-16-2011, 07:44 AM
Haha thanks dr snooz. I definitely don't plan on modding the engine then. Would there be anything else I should check for on this car? Like I said I'm completely new to cars. I was thinking about getting a tune up and getting an alignment done. I noticed the other day she was pulling a little to the right. Once again thanks for the warm welcome guys.