PDA

View Full Version : Honda SE-I Driver/Passanger Window HELP!!

Aorourke331
04-17-2011, 01:33 PM
Removing door trim to fix my driver window.
Some errors.
Outside RIGHT NOW!!

Problem - Driver window rolls down with ease, but the rolling up only does it once in a while. I need to eliminate all problems so I know what to fix, whether its greasing a part, or if it's a new motor. Pictures included.

Door trim mostly removed my seat belt is in the way trying to figure out how to

Start
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/Muffin-Man22/Honda%202011/driver%20window/IMG_2078.jpg

Removed, with seatbelt in the way, how to get around this.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/Muffin-Man22/Honda%202011/driver%20window/IMG_2079.jpg

I know I've had some suggestions on my thread SwollenPickle (http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1062924#post1062924)

But now is crunch time. Way to damn hot out for this crap.

Aorourke331
04-17-2011, 02:15 PM
I am at a loss now.. I don't know what to do at this point. Maybe I'm to damn dumb for this shit. I have a million manuals to go through and idk where to begin.

I'm desperate for help guys.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/Muffin-Man22/Honda%202011/driver%20window/24e1f00c.jpg

YK86
04-17-2011, 02:19 PM
I know you read my suggestion in the other thread. Did you actually try them? It's not hard.

Aorourke331
04-17-2011, 02:23 PM
I've got all the door trim off as shown, but now I'm lost from here.

YK86
04-17-2011, 02:56 PM
My suggestions/diagnosing in the other thread includes: checking the rubber channel for bloating/rips/missing pieces/not being in the metal channel. Those can easily be seen with the door panel off. Make sure the window glass is sliding in the rubber. Sometimes it comes out of the rubber.

Then reconnect window switch, lower the window and watch the regulator for excessive movement. The rollers like to wear out or sometimes come right out of the track. This can be seen in the lower part of the door panel with the big opening.

Silicone spray the rubber channel. This helps on any car with power windows. If there is nothing wrong with the rubber, it's silicone sprayed, and the regulator looks fine, then it's time to change the motor.

Aorourke331
04-17-2011, 03:10 PM
That's where I'm lost, I am reading that PDF from the wiki, and I feel like I'm not removing the door panel. Just the plastic trim. So.. to go from here, I took a picture to show where my progress is, and I've lost a lot of sunlight. I think I'm going to have to put it on hold till next Sunday.

Do you see where I'm stuck at? Or maybe I'm not elaborating properly or enough on what's the actual problem of the window.

YK86
04-17-2011, 03:30 PM
Now I'm confused lol. Your problem is the window gets stuck in the down position and has a hard time coming back up right? I know you had trouble getting the door panel off but I know it's off now going by your pics so I wasn't really talking about that. My suggestions were in post #76, first reply on page 4 in the other thread.

Now that the door panel and vapour barrier if off, you just need to visually check everything like mentioned in my previous post. A hand light or flash light is more than enough light to do this.

If you downloaded the 89 pdf manual, look on page 21-9. That is the regulator. There are 3 rollers, make sure they are in the tracks (One short rail with one roller, one long rail the window mounts to with 2 rollers). Make sure all 3 rollers are still on the end and not missing (sometimes, they pop off from being too worn).

Now look on page 21-10. The glass run channel is the rubber I'm talking about. It should be seated nicely like in the manual, and not ripped up, bloated, missing. Spray this with silicone lube.

Dr_Snooz
04-17-2011, 08:56 PM
Start by taking a few deep breaths. And leave the beer in the fridge. Worst case scenario, you drive to work with the panel off. I've driven many a time that way. You will make it, I promise.

What is the window doing? When it rolls up, does it roll normally like nothing ever happened or does it go slowly and struggle to get to the top? When it doesn't work, can you hear the motor trying to raise the window or is there no electrical response at all? If it struggles, then you need to lube it. On the regulator, grease everything that has teeth, or slides in a rail. Oil every pivot. Finish up by spraying the felts with silicone spray like YK86 says. If this doesn't help, then I'd say your regulator is worn out. If it is sloppy floppy, then replace it. The regulators will develop some play over time and sometimes a minor adjustment will get them working for a little longer before you have to replace them.

If you hit the switch and get no response at all, then it's an electric issue. The electric troubleshooting section for the doors starts on p. 25-52 of the manual you downloaded. It could be the switch in the door or the little gray box above your speaker. The manual will tell you how to test them. If you can smack the motor with a wrench or something (just jar it, don't dent it) and it starts working, you need a new motor.

Also, you will have to lower the window to see the regulator. Working inside a door takes some finesse and persistence. You have to move things around until you can see them through the holes.

In general, read the manual before you start any work. Read through each step carefully and make sure you understand what you are reading. Visualize how the repair will go in your mind before opening your toolbox. Come up with hypotheses of what you think the problem might be and have the necessary tools on hand to deal with that and all the other possibilities. Think realistically about how long it's going to take and then expect it to take a lot longer. Think of what your exit strategies will be if you can't complete the repair in time. Can you walk to work? Bike? If not, what number bus will you take or which neighbor will you bum a ride from? Ask the neighbor in advance to see if they are willing to be on standby for you.

You can do it. Just calm down and think it through.

Aorourke331
04-17-2011, 09:27 PM
Start by taking a few deep breaths. And leave the beer in the fridge. Worst case scenario, you drive to work with the panel off. I've driven many a time that way. You will make it, I promise.

What is the window doing? When it rolls up, does it roll normally like nothing ever happened or does it go slowly and struggle to get to the top? When it doesn't work, can you hear the motor trying to raise the window or is there no electrical response at all? If it struggles, then you need to lube it. On the regulator, grease everything that has teeth, or slides in a rail. Oil every pivot. Finish up by spraying the felts with silicone spray like YK86 says. If this doesn't help, then I'd say your regulator is worn out. If it is sloppy floppy, then replace it. The regulators will develop some play over time and sometimes a minor adjustment will get them working for a little longer before you have to replace them.

If you hit the switch and get no response at all, then it's an electric issue. The electric troubleshooting section for the doors starts on p. 25-52 of the manual you downloaded. It could be the switch in the door or the little gray box above your speaker. The manual will tell you how to test them. If you can smack the motor with a wrench or something (just jar it, don't dent it) and it starts working, you need a new motor.

Also, you will have to lower the window to see the regulator. Working inside a door takes some finesse and persistence. You have to move things around until you can see them through the holes.

In general, read the manual before you start any work. Read through each step carefully and make sure you understand what you are reading. Visualize how the repair will go in your mind before opening your toolbox. Come up with hypotheses of what you think the problem might be and have the necessary tools on hand to deal with that and all the other possibilities. Think realistically about how long it's going to take and then expect it to take a lot longer. Think of what your exit strategies will be if you can't complete the repair in time. Can you walk to work? Bike? If not, what number bus will you take or which neighbor will you bum a ride from? Ask the neighbor in advance to see if they are willing to be on standby for you.

You can do it. Just calm down and think it through.

Well I am going to hopefully get the help of a fellow ex-Honda driver. He also thinks it's electrical. The window rolls up fine, no motor grinding, or any form of bad sound, just.... only rolls up when it wants to. The passenger on the other hand is slow, down, and up. But it works non the less.

Driver is much more important. Tooooo damn hot out already for only half of one working window. 40 minute drives to both jobs is a little warm with no A/C. haha!

I am gonna sit down and read the guide, and really study what I'm looking at, be it I kept getting confused. The beer, not gonna happen next time. I ended up having 2, and then was frustrated in the warm air. Said screw it. I'm done, reassembled everything and went to a BBQ with some guys. I will post later this week with hopes to finding out the issue. Thanks for the help really. I think it is a switch, but again 2 jobs, no time tends to be a bigger issue then the car stuff.

charliekuney
04-17-2011, 09:33 PM
I had the same problem. It's the black control box in the driver's door.