PDA

View Full Version : Swap Related Thread (I would like the opinion of the 3geez community)

dacantu
04-17-2011, 07:45 PM
Okay guys so I find myself in a situation where there are many paths I can take towards the final build for my Coupe.

Ill appreciate any and all of your feedback and opinions. Each option will be highlighted in a different color

B Series Swap

I have now sourced more than a few parts for a B series swap for my coupe.

- I have the COMPLETE engine (GSR head and B16 Block) with accessory's and all (AC, PS, Alternator, Dizzy, Intake manifold, etc)
- Ive got a engine harness
- ECU
- Sandwhich Kit for LSVTEC or B20VTEC
- 2 DC Integra Shift Linkages that I planned to modify to fit.

What I would need to complete the swap is:
- Axles
- OBD1 Conversion
- Mounts
- Tranny

H2B Swap (H22 W/B Series tranny)

I have absolutely nothing readily available for this swap but I would love to go H only because it is directly related to the Accord and would keep the originality in a sense. Chances are I will not go this route but its always an option

K Series Swap

Within this option are two sub options per say.

I would really love to be the FIRST K series 3gee to cruise the streets and I would say its equally as possible as a H2B swap is for me for ONE reason only..

I have recently acquired a Salvage/Dismantled title 1994 GSR rolling shell for practically $190. The car has more than enough parts on it to still make my money back while still get my use out of the shell as well.

I intend to cut out the entire engine compartment from the GSR shell in order to expand my swap options. This has been done by a few people in order to make their cars mid engine Rear Wheel Drive with a swap. However, I would like to either:

Sub-option A: Cut out the engine compartment from my accord and swap in the one from the GSR (Assuming its possible, it could expand my options for front suspension components as well ie: camber kits, coilovers, etc) Once I cut out the engine bay from my baby theres really no turning back.

Sub-option B: Buy a Accord Hatch and follow the very same process that Vector followed when doing his Mid Engine H swap and drop in the integra engine compartment into the rear of the car while still doing a mid engine K swap. This option sounds FUN because of the Rear Wheel Drive but kind of defeats the purpose of building my accord and I would hate to ditch my build.

I will be parting out the rest of the GSR shell to make my money back, cutting out the engine bay, and selling whatever is left for scrap metal.

Once that is all said and done I really do think I will be going K series and ditching the b series swap regardless of how little I have left to actually complete the swap. I would love to keep the swap going to my coupe as well but having other peoples opinion really cant hurt.

I would like everybody's input on what route I should take and why.

Hauntd ca3
04-18-2011, 12:19 AM
where as the b16/18 are plentiful both for replacement motors and after market support, the are both high strung motors that need to be revving hard to get the best out of.
the h22a which also has very good after market support isnt as plentiful in the usa i have been lead to believe.
the h22a has shit loads more low end than either b motor and even the most low spec version still out hp's a b18c, and with a decent exhaust and intake will easily out torque and hp a type r b18c.
the prob with the h22a is that its a bit bulkier than the b, but not by much.
at the end of the day, its up to you which one you want and what you can afford.
i'd go H22a myself, but thats just coz i've owned one, and know they are a great motor

88lxi-shortram
04-18-2011, 04:10 AM
i'd do H but... b series would be alot easier to swap in my opinion. but H has alot more power and torque than B's like he said... like he said $ is your only obstacle

forrest89sei
04-18-2011, 04:58 AM
Well if you had endless money I think a K Swap would be awesome, but with the cost and being the first one to attempt it sounds like a Good Future goal but less likely.

I think H22 would be a awesome swap but for many of the same reasons with the K Series I can see it being a Goal but not very realistic.

So I could see doing B Series, I'd love to see a B20Vtec :rockon:

stat1K
04-18-2011, 06:52 AM
swapping in an entire engine bay would not only be time consuming, it would also be retarded.

here's the deal if you want to go K.

get the motor and transmission, mock it up so the axles sit level and don't bind. build mounts. replicate mounts. be a hero to the community. DONE DEAL.

A18A
04-18-2011, 07:24 AM
build mounts. replicate mounts. be a hero to the community. DONE DEAL.

that no one will buy cause no one can afford a k-series engine let alone mounts to put one in a accord :kekeke:

to teh OP, if you manage to get the h22a in (and centered properly) without having to bash the frame rails to make way for the crank pulley, pls let me know how :)

stat1K
04-18-2011, 07:40 AM
that no one will buy cause no one can afford a k-series engine let alone mounts to put one in a accord :kekeke:

to teh OP, if you manage to get the h22a in (and centered properly) without having to bash the frame rails to make way for the crank pulley, pls let me know how :)

a k24 costs as much as a b18...

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search.cgi?what=page&item=30032

the h22 will definitely need clearanced because it does in virtually every civic it goes in and i don't believe the accord would be any different.

the point about a k is it will get cheaper and cheaper. people have said no one will ever put a k in a crx or an ef chassis and now i know several arizona cars that have them or have had them.

i will agree that the community here is significantly poorer but having the design readily available is what it's about. just like the obd1 swap parts that angus designed, yeah not very many people bought them but now if you want them they can be had.

cutting engine bays out to fit other motors doesn't help progress the oppurtunity for new swaps.

Legend_master
04-18-2011, 08:18 AM
swapping in an entire engine bay would not only be time consuming, it would also be retarded.

here's the deal if you want to go K.

get the motor and transmission, mock it up so the axles sit level and don't bind. build mounts. replicate mounts. be a hero to the community. DONE DEAL.

^-----this, or just take the easy route and build a b-series (i have seen b-series with all sort of ranges of power from 150WHP to 850WHP). The time, effort, and cost of swapping an entire engine bay would be WAY more then just making some mounts, and axles work. If you do plan to go with a b-swap, you need to ditch that b16 block, and swap in a Built 2.0L b-series.

1813mdw
04-18-2011, 09:16 AM
k24 ftw. the b is played out

Ichiban
04-18-2011, 11:44 AM
If you want easy, buy the mounts, build a b, be done with it.

If you want different, drop in the k, weld up mounts, match up some axles, and go.

What are you waiting for?

mushroom_toy
04-18-2011, 01:36 PM
If you want to be a hero build an unbeatable A. A20 for life mutha fuckas.

jk :) although I am an A20 fan. Although Cory and I were talking about Ks yesterday.

MessyHonda
04-18-2011, 05:49 PM
a k24 costs as much as a b18...

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search.cgi?what=page&item=30032

the h22 will definitely need clearanced because it does in virtually every civic it goes in and i don't believe the accord would be any different.

the point about a k is it will get cheaper and cheaper. people have said no one will ever put a k in a crx or an ef chassis and now i know several arizona cars that have them or have had them.

i will agree that the community here is significantly poorer but having the design readily available is what it's about. just like the obd1 swap parts that angus designed, yeah not very many people bought them but now if you want them they can be had.

cutting engine bays out to fit other motors doesn't help progress the oppurtunity for new swaps.

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search.cgi?what=page&item=30015

honestly i think B is the best right now for these cars...if i had 5k to drop a K it would not be in a 3gee...not the best for aftermarket support on suspension to go track it.(im in the same problem...the b20 i was going to drop in never worked out for me) i just need a good MPG engine now or else i would need to buy a DD if i wanted to build a bad ass car

1813mdw
04-18-2011, 07:39 PM
http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search.cgi?what=page&item=30015

honestly i think B is the best right now for these cars...if i had 5k to drop a K it would not be in a 3gee...not the best for aftermarket support on suspension to go track it.(im in the same problem...the b20 i was going to drop in never worked out for me) i just need a good MPG engine now or else i would need to buy a DD if i wanted to build a bad ass car

from what i've seen our cars do not need alot of aftermarket help in the handling department. and i would def drop 3k into my 3gee; infact if i fell into that kinda money i'd build the a20 top notch and struggle putting the body and trans and everthing else together lol

thered56
04-19-2011, 12:42 PM
It sounds like you've already once decided to go B-Series. From what you've got, it sounds like you're well on your way there. I don't see any reason not to follow through with a B. After all, how could you end up disappointed afterwards. They are great engines, that's been well proven!

MessyHonda
04-19-2011, 07:12 PM
from what i've seen our cars do not need alot of aftermarket help in the handling department. and i would def drop 3k into my 3gee; infact if i fell into that kinda money i'd build the a20 top notch and struggle putting the body and trans and everthing else together lol

we only have k sports....but i do have to say to get something with LSD...these cars are light and dont grip good...i would do one legged burn outs all the time. the a20 differential can be swapped with a b16 one.

dacantu
04-20-2011, 01:15 PM
Okay guys I greatly appreciate your opinions. I was already pretty set on what I was thinking but figured it couldnt hurt to have everyone elses opinion.

I would agree that the B series really can put out HIGH numbers, my only issue with the B's is that, everyone has them.

I will be going with a K considering thats kind of what I was already set on, and I want to see what a K can do in these cars.

Legend, my plans were never to go with a B16 block or even B16 head for that matter. You could say that I am completely against the B16 in its entirety. I got the B16 block for free and was simply stating the fact that I had a longblock if I needed one. B20V ftw.

Messy, limited slip without a doubt. I do plan on doing some research as to which is the best performing dif to run on a K. I know Ill run into troubles with the shifter cables with the k though. We'll see how that works out.

stat1K
04-20-2011, 01:35 PM
i don't think you'll run into trouble it's a matter of distance and routing, a hole-saw and welder makes the world go round. you figure out which cables reach the destination and then cut a hole. it might be a trial and error but then again this entire process will be trial and error

MessyHonda
04-20-2011, 09:27 PM
I would agree that the B series really can put out HIGH numbers, my only issue with the B's is that, everyone has them.

yup...because of the K the B has dropped down in price...a k would be cool but my guy said that i would need 8k to even put in a K....with 8k i can put a down payment for rsx or 06 civic si that already come with one

dacantu
04-21-2011, 10:35 AM
i don't think you'll run into trouble it's a matter of distance and routing, a hole-saw and welder makes the world go round. you figure out which cables reach the destination and then cut a hole. it might be a trial and error but then again this entire process will be trial and error
Yeah I don't expect it to be easy but it won't be impossible. First I have to drop the engine in and see where its going to sit. Then comes the fitting of everything else including the shifter cables.

yup...because of the K the B has dropped down in price...a k would be cool but my guy said that i would need 8k to even put in a K....with 8k i can put a down payment for rsx or 06 civic si that already come with one

Those are nice cars but my 3gee is nicer :) lol jk but I wouldn't spend the amount a rsx goes for in a rsx. I'd rather just buy a s2k if I'm going to drop 12k+ on a nice rsx.

MessyHonda
04-22-2011, 05:17 PM
sorry to go off topic but a s2k is not the same as getting a k 3g.

dacantu
04-22-2011, 05:51 PM
sorry to go off topic but a s2k is not the same as getting a k 3g.

I never said it was the same. I was pointing out that I wouldn't get an RSX because they're just not practical but for the amount I'd spend on a rsx I would put that $ towards a S2K.

Back to topic

stat1K
04-22-2011, 08:28 PM
lol @ messy's logic.

go ahead and put that downpayment into a car that ways 3k+ lbs with no torque.

i posted the k24 because building a k20 is retarded at best. k24's make huge torque with power adders, several builds have made 300+hp all motor. ALLLLLLL MOTORRRRRRR!

why do you think honda put the k24 in the new 2012 Si? because they realized they could make 20% more torque at 2000 less rpm. k24's are cheap and easy to build and have a higher displacement.

dacantu
04-23-2011, 12:27 AM
There's no replacement for displacement eh? Haha. Rsx are fun but like I said, not practical for their price tag for the most part. Now if I wanted a nice daily a RSX wouldnt be terrible. But I wouldn't build one.

stat1K
04-23-2011, 05:52 AM
yeah i'd definitely go s2k before anything else from honda at this point. especially since you can pick up a used one for less than 10k when people want 5k for an eg with a swap...