PDA

View Full Version : Hard to shift into 1st gear from neutral?

Caliboy37
04-17-2011, 08:08 PM
Well recently my 88 accord has been having problems shifting into first gear from neutral. I mean I have to force it very hard to get it in gear. Sometimes if I'm coming to a stop it will just slip in with no problem. Also when i try to put it into reverse it grinds. IDK any ideas or solutions?

88lxi-shortram
04-17-2011, 08:09 PM
Start saving

MessyHonda
04-17-2011, 10:26 PM
just adjust your cable and change out the trans fluid...will make a big difference

Hauntd ca3
04-17-2011, 11:58 PM
sounds like clutch adjustment and wrong oil.
clutch cable should have just a bit of slack at the gear box end and put honda mt oil in it.
my gearbox is hard to get into 1st when cold, but i have 80w90 gear oil.
even 75w90 oil is a whole lot lighter and would prob change the shift quality no end

Caliboy37
04-18-2011, 05:51 PM
Ok now the all important question i have tranny fluid now where do I put it in at??

lostforawhile
04-18-2011, 05:55 PM
you'll see a big nut on the side of the transmission about level with the centerline of the axle, you need a funnel with a plastic tube on it, when it starts to run out the fill hole, it's full, the drain is on the bottom, it has a square hole for a 3/8 socket wrench, hard to shift into first, and reverse is usually a misadjusted clutch cable

Giopawa
04-18-2011, 06:22 PM
you'll see a big nut on the side of the transmission about level with the centerline of the axle, you need a funnel with a plastic tube on it, when it starts to run out the fill hole, it's full, the drain is on the bottom, it has a square hole for a 3/8 socket wrench, hard to shift into first, and reverse is usually a misadjusted clutch cable

Thanks for that post, I doubt the hippy boy will be able to do it himself. So I will swing by his place to help him with it.
The cable adjustment is easy, I was just kind of baffled myself as to where his fluid went in. Now that I read that, I feel a little bit stupid. =)