PDA

View Full Version : EGR Valve PGM-FI Code 12!!!

Rainacide
04-18-2011, 01:37 AM
I'm sure many of us on this forum has had the code 12 EGR valve problem or has it now.

I'm just wondering how did you guys go upon fixing it. Curious of your methods, did you leave it alone, replace the EGR system, clean it?

Thanks.

YK86
04-18-2011, 02:37 AM
I usually remove it and clean it out. Then I connect my vacuum pump to it and pump it a few times. If the diaphragm doesn't come up OR slowly drops back down, the egr valve doesn't hold vacuum and needs to be replaced. You can do this by hand as well by pushing up on the diaphragm and putting your finger over the vacuum nub.

If the valve tests good, it's probably the vacuum solenoid in the black box that's not working.

gp02a0083
04-18-2011, 03:24 AM
yes as YK86 said check to see if the diaphragm is holding vac. if that's ok then open the black box and look at the solenoid. In many cases that little filter on it can be cleaned an it will be fine

YK86
04-18-2011, 10:47 AM
that little filter on it can be cleaned an it will be fine

This is the first time I've read this. Nice tip! I haven't replaced a 3rd gen solenoid in a long time but is it like other newer Hondas with the black cap looking thing? How exactly did you clean it? I've been running into a lot of 5th gen Preludes and Accords with malfunctioning egr solenoids.

gp02a0083
04-18-2011, 02:50 PM
its been a while so i dont know. But there should be a small filter element on the solenoid =, i just used the air compressor to clean it out. Check the vac lines first

Rainacide
04-20-2011, 01:50 AM
Thanks, for the tips guys.

Didn't wanna spend any money by a new EGR system!

limikjr
05-27-2011, 11:58 AM
I know it's somewhat old and I don't mean to thread jack but...

When you say clean the filter are you talking on the "EGR control solenoid valve"? Cause I don't see a filter on it. I'm looking at page 12-5 of the manual. Thanks.