PDA

View Full Version : rear drum "crunch"

charliekuney
04-18-2011, 05:27 PM
Mike (mykwikcoupe) laughed when I texted this to him. My rear brakes make a crunching sound when I come close to a complete stop. Any amount of brake pressure, but the sound doesn't start until I get under 15mph or so. I can also feel vibrations through the pedal. Any ideas of what could be wrong? The sound only comes from the left side, I believe.

lostforawhile
04-18-2011, 05:32 PM
most likely dirt in the drums caught between the drums and shoes, do they have a lot of miles on them?

charliekuney
04-18-2011, 05:34 PM
My car is about to roll over 175k. I believe they are the original parts throughout.

lostforawhile
04-18-2011, 05:40 PM
My car is about to roll over 175k. I believe they are the original parts throughout.
it's about time for new rear shoes, I hope they haven't worn into the drums, even if they have it's not a bad job to change shoes and new drums, I recommend a new hardware kit for each drum, it has all new springs and hardware

charliekuney
04-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Okay, that'll just be another thing on the list when I head up to Mike's.

lostforawhile
04-18-2011, 05:47 PM
Okay, that'll just be another thing on the list when I head up to Mike's.

with that many miles might as well do it right, if the drums aren't bad they can be turned, if not they will have to be replaced, the hardware kit will have the new springs and clips etc to replace everything, they aren't expensive, normally it's one kit per wheel, it's not a bad job if you know how to do it, but if you've never done drums, you will pull your hair out trying to install the springs and adjust them initially, so the help will be appreciated. plan on rebuilding the rear wheel cylinders, simplest job in the world, couple of seals and dust boots, I think the last time I checked they were 3 dollars or so per cylinder

charliekuney
04-18-2011, 05:50 PM
With all that work I might as well do a disc swap. ;)

lostforawhile
04-18-2011, 05:52 PM
With all that work I might as well do a disc swap. ;)

it's not bad at all if you have done it, or have someone helping who has, you can change the shoes, hardware and rebuild the cylinders in maby a half hour per side

2drSE-i
04-18-2011, 06:02 PM
it's not bad at all if you have done it, or have someone helping who has, you can change the shoes, hardware and rebuild the cylinders in maby a half hour per side

HARDWARE!

Can't emphasize this enough. I tore the rear brakes down on a saturn 6 times because i couldn't figure out what all the noise was about. Finally broke down and spent the 10 bucks per side on hardware. No more noise.

Also, dont forget to "Adjust" your rear brakes by ripping on the ebrake a few times.

charliekuney
04-18-2011, 06:07 PM
Also, dont forget to "Adjust" your rear brakes by ripping on the ebrake a few times.

Damn, I like it when I don't have to pull up the parking brake very far.

lostforawhile
04-18-2011, 06:30 PM
make sure you wear some safety glasses when putting the springs back on, I had to have the hook end of one removed from my face once. shot out of there and stuck into my face

TotaledTL
04-18-2011, 06:40 PM
with that many miles might as well do it right, if the drums aren't bad they can be turned, if not they will have to be replaced, the hardware kit will have the new springs and clips etc to replace everything, they aren't expensive, normally it's one kit per wheel, it's not a bad job if you know how to do it, but if you've never done drums, you will pull your hair out trying to install the springs and adjust them initially, so the help will be appreciated. plan on rebuilding the rear wheel cylinders, simplest job in the world, couple of seals and dust boots, I think the last time I checked they were 3 dollars or so per cylinder

Just did this. Just repl. the wheel cylinders w/ reman. units, likewise repl. the drums if any question. Only spent approx. $118 for parts from Napa. Shoes, drums, wheel cylinders, hardware kit, & e-brake hdwr. kits. Not fun 'cause I hadn't done drums before but after the price I got from Brakeway to do it I was motivated to do it myself. Damn %@! springs are a PITA.....

lostforawhile
04-18-2011, 06:42 PM
Just did this. Just repl. the wheel cylinders w/ reman. units, likewise repl. the drums if any question. Only spent approx. $118 for parts from Napa. Shoes, drums, wheel cylinders, hardware kit, & e-brake hdwr. kits. Not fun 'cause I hadn't done drums before but after the price I got from Brakeway to do it I was motivated to do it myself. Damn %@! springs are a PITA.....

I have special tools and they are still a PIA, and i've been doing them for over 25 years lol, I never buy re manufactured cylinders, they are so easy to fix, as long as they aren't scored it's a couple of rubber pieces and some brake cleaner.

1813mdw
04-18-2011, 07:24 PM
drum brakes are not hard at all and their is nothing wrong w/ the drums in our cars. we could use better pads up front and better shoes in back(ebs/"greenstuff" sells alot of kits for our cars). i dont know why everyone hates to work on drums; they're what i learned on and are very simple after you take a look at them. also they bite pretty damn hard compared to other rear disc setups i've driven

lostforawhile
04-18-2011, 07:43 PM
drum brakes are not hard at all and their is nothing wrong w/ the drums in our cars. we could use better pads up front and better shoes in back(ebs/"greenstuff" sells alot of kits for our cars). i dont know why everyone hates to work on drums; they're what i learned on and are very simple after you take a look at them. also they bite pretty damn hard compared to other rear disc setups i've driven

in theory they are easy, it's just the guy who designed the springs was into
http://illegalbriefs.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/lego-sm.jpg

1813mdw
04-18-2011, 07:48 PM
in theory they are easy, it's just the guy who designed the springs was into
http://illegalbriefs.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/lego-sm.jpg

who ever built that is seriously into bdsm and had alot of time on their hands lol

mykwikcoupe
04-18-2011, 07:51 PM
yeah charlie, it a good idea to see if honda sells those cylinder rebuild kits I just rebuilt the ones on my hatch and I will say those brakes where nasty. Ive never seen chuncky brake fluid before this. Plan on getting those hardware kits with linings (40 I think total last time i bought them). Get a full bottle of new dot 3 brake fluid and we will bleed all that old crap out and put in new not dirty or moisture contaminated fluid. Get a few cans of the large brake fluid cleaner as well. I have brake grease for the star adjuster and caliper pivot slides. I doubt it will take us more then a few hours to do this. Like I said, with as old as your brakes are, the job of pulling the rear drum to inspect is just pulling the rear wheel. I'm sure everything is so far out of tolerance the drum will just pull right off.

lostforawhile
04-18-2011, 08:06 PM
yeah charlie, it a good idea to see if honda sells those cylinder rebuild kits I just rebuilt the ones on my hatch and I will say those brakes where nasty. Ive never seen chuncky brake fluid before this. Plan on getting those hardware kits with linings (40 I think total last time i bought them). Get a full bottle of new dot 3 brake fluid and we will bleed all that old crap out and put in new not dirty or moisture contaminated fluid. Get a few cans of the large brake fluid cleaner as well. I have brake grease for the star adjuster and caliper pivot slides. I doubt it will take us more then a few hours to do this. Like I said, with as old as your brakes are, the job of pulling the rear drum to inspect is just pulling the rear wheel. I'm sure everything is so far out of tolerance the drum will just pull right off.

I got my rebuild kits at nappa, I think all the auto parts stores sell them, although the kids at most of the stores when you say drum brake wheel cylinder

1813mdw
04-18-2011, 08:28 PM
http://www.ebcbrakes.com/

charliekuney
04-19-2011, 08:44 AM
http://www.ebcbrakes.com/

I hate that bimbo from their commercials.

TotaledTL
04-19-2011, 08:55 AM
[SIZE="4"]in theory they are easy, it's just the guy who designed the springs was into...

LOL that's the funniest thing I've seen today, thx for the laughs!

charliekuney
03-09-2012, 04:54 PM
This still happens, and it's rather lame. My drum linings are good according to both Honda and mykwikcoupe, so what else could be the problem? Brake fluid flush? Literally every time I go up to his house he cleans them with brake dust remover, the sound stops for a good two weeks, and slowly comes back. Dirt buildup?

elpuma
03-10-2012, 01:45 PM
I used to have a crunch sound when i was braking coming from the rear passenger side. Then my rear upper ball joint broke and after replacing it the crunch went away.

SeanSelander
03-16-2012, 08:17 AM
I get a weird clunk noise from the passenger side while braking sometimes. I might have to replace the drums, any tips on doing so?

charliekuney
03-16-2012, 06:35 PM
Take them apart and clean and adjust them first. That helped me twice, plus larger wheels put less stress on my suspension after being lowered.