PDA

View Full Version : difficult to put car into reverse

charliekuney
04-18-2011, 05:30 PM
So, it has become increasingly difficult to smoothly shift into reverse. Now it almost always grinds and pops in or grinds and doesn't go in at all. When it's cold and I first start my car it goes into reverse no problem but if I've been driving a lot and it's warm (delivery driver) it just doesn't want to go into reverse. Any ideas?

lostforawhile
04-18-2011, 05:34 PM
have you adjusted your clutch? if it's got too much play it usually shows up in reverse as it's not synchronized, also how worn is your shifter assembly? if the bushings are worn out, and there's a lot of play it could be the shifter, does it go into gear if you play with the shifter?

charliekuney
04-18-2011, 05:35 PM
I have not adjusted it. The clutch is stiff all the way up, though.

lostforawhile
04-18-2011, 05:37 PM

you have to check free play at the clutch arm, if it's too much the clutch isn't fully disengaging when you press the pedal

charliekuney
04-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Hmmm, I'll have to check again. All other gears shift fine, even at high rpm's.

lostforawhile
04-18-2011, 05:43 PM
Hmmm, I'll have to check again. All other gears shift fine, even at high rpm's.

it usually shows up in reverse because it has no syncros, you aren't trying to put it in gear while still moving are you?

MessyHonda
04-18-2011, 06:29 PM
i always shift to 4th while fully stopped and then go to reverse and now it works

lostforawhile
04-18-2011, 06:33 PM
what kind of fluid is in there, it sounds like the interlock could be acting up too, there's a little detent ball in there, it stops you from shifting from 5th to reverse, have to take it out of gear, then go into reverse

charliekuney
04-18-2011, 06:40 PM
i always shift to 4th while fully stopped and then go to reverse and now it works

I usually push the clutch in 2-4 times and wiggle the shifter along the horizontal line (to the left and right of neutral) and it usually goes in fine. It's weird, though, because I don't have to do anything when it's cold outside. It just goes in smooth first try.

2oodoor
04-20-2011, 09:33 AM

It's not supposed to be stiff ALL the way up, hence the definition of "free play" the very top of the pedal travel should be nothing but movement of the pedal (free)

charliekuney
05-13-2011, 03:24 PM
I need to emphasize the affects temperature has on my transmission. When it's cold outside my transmission glides into any gear at any given time. Now that it's getting hot out (closing in on 70°) my car is nearly impossible to get into reverse and it's a struggle to get into first sometimes (no grind, just a...blockage?).

A18A
05-13-2011, 03:54 PM
try some thicker oil in there

1813mdw
05-13-2011, 04:29 PM
i'm havin the same prob i'll try swappin to a thicker oil tomorrow at work and see if this does anything. bout time for a drain and fill anyways

charliekuney
03-09-2012, 04:53 PM
Update: I was told by a dear friend of mine a while back that you have to come to a complete stop before shifting into reverse, a fact that I honestly was not aware of. The reason why the car shifted so easily in the cold in the morning was because my car was already stopped and it was coming out of first gear.