PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Ground Wires?

Angelois
04-19-2011, 05:00 PM
I've been researching this and I'm just stumped. I think I would like to replace my ground wires because the one on the valve cover looks like its done its job and looks like crap. So what are your opinions I mean is it really worth going and replacing the ground wires with Like 4 gauge wire or should I leave it? If I do that I was also thinking about replacing the battery cables as well. I dont have a system in it I have thought about it but I dont think I want to go and throw one in right now so I would be replacing the wires just to replace them.

Thanks,

RAZR
04-19-2011, 05:06 PM
I've been researching this and I'm just stumped. I think I would like to replace my ground wires because the one on the valve cover looks like its done its job and looks like crap. So what are your opinions I mean is it really worth going and replacing the ground wires with Like 4 gauge wire or should I leave it? If I do that I was also thinking about replacing the battery cables as well. I dont have a system in it I have thought about it but I dont think I want to go and throw one in right now so I would be replacing the wires just to replace them.

Thanks,

upgrading the ground wires could help the engine start better. but is really just a good thing to do since in the engine its just flimsy 8 gauge. replacing the engine ground is so simple. just remove and replace with thicker wire.

i do have one question for the other people who will respond to this thread. i am replacing my negative battery cable and the cable is grounded to the body and the trans. how should i make a 4 gauge wire that grounds to the body and trans like the oem one?

YK86
04-19-2011, 09:47 PM
Yes, ground it like OEM at the body and tranny and while you are at it, use nice new bolts as the old ones tend to be corroded/rusty. Using nice beefier (4gauge-ish) wire helps improve the electrical system overall especially compared to corroded old wires that are starting to fray.

Hauntd ca3
04-21-2011, 02:04 AM
upgrading the ground wires could help the engine start better. but is really just a good thing to do since in the engine its just flimsy 8 gauge. replacing the engine ground is so simple. just remove and replace with thicker wire.

i do have one question for the other people who will respond to this thread. i am replacing my negative battery cable and the cable is grounded to the body and the trans. how should i make a 4 gauge wire that grounds to the body and trans like the oem one?

just use two cables.
one from batt to body, and one from body to trans.
just use the same body mount for both.
is a good idea to run a larger altenator to batt cable as well.
the factory one is pretty small and a larger one will gain you prob .3 to .5 volts at the battery.
dosnt sound like much, but it makes a massive difference

RAZR
04-21-2011, 05:10 AM
just use two cables.
one from batt to body, and one from body to trans.
just use the same body mount for both.
is a good idea to run a larger altenator to batt cable as well.
the factory one is pretty small and a larger one will gain you prob .3 to .5 volts at the battery.
dosnt sound like much, but it makes a massive difference

Yeah that's what I figured. I had to get more terminals so my car is in like 20 pieces and staying that way untill the terminals get here in the mail.

nswst8
04-21-2011, 05:36 AM
Look up info on "The big three"

RAZR
04-21-2011, 01:40 PM
Look up info on "The big three"

you mean this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX9Rcq5DnKw

this guy is great :)

lostforawhile
04-21-2011, 01:54 PM
you can go to walmart and get black battery cables with ends already on them to replace the ground wires, just a few dollars per cable

RAZR
04-21-2011, 01:57 PM
you can go to walmart and get black battery cables with ends already on them to replace the ground wires, just a few dollars per cable

are they 4 gauge?

lostforawhile
04-21-2011, 02:00 PM
are they 4 gauge?
they have four gauge, if they don't have them, most places like autozone or advance have a selection like it with ring terminals on both ends, and in different lengths, I just crimp my own, but most people don't have a rotary crimping tool for making large cables

RAZR
04-21-2011, 02:04 PM
they have four gauge, if they don't have them, most places like autozone or advance have a selection like it with ring terminals on both ends, and in different lengths, I just crimp my own, but most people don't have a rotary crimping tool for making large cables

huh might have bought those if i didnt have all the parts already :lol:

2ndGenGuy
04-21-2011, 02:09 PM
Fuck yes. Best thing you can do for an aging electrical system.

Dr_Snooz
04-21-2011, 09:39 PM
Fuck yes. Best thing you can do for an aging electrical system.

Jeepers 2GG. I detect some equivocation here. LOL