PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Fix?

Charbo88
04-20-2011, 05:33 PM
I have power steering fluid leaking from my rack, it looks like its from the seals right where the drivers side shaft goes into the steering gear inside the boot. I know it would probably be best to get a whole new rack, but I am trying to save some money on it..Can I just replace the seals? The car still steers fine and handles fine other than needing an alignment. Could I even just pull the one side and replace that seal? What would be the most cost effective way to do it?

Dr_Snooz
04-20-2011, 08:27 PM
You are supposed to disassemble the rack to change the seals. It looks as if you can get the old seals out and new ones in without disassembling BUT you have a good likelihood of damaging the tie rod. If you do, you will instantly tear any new seal you put in there. You should replace the rack. Make sure that you use only Honda PS fluid for it in the future.

forrest89sei
04-20-2011, 08:33 PM
What DR Snooze Said

A Re-manufactured Rack isn't gonna set you back as much as you'd think

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1166789,parttype,7388

DBMaster
04-21-2011, 05:06 AM
I went the expensive route in 2003 with mine. It was leaking from several locations. Like a dummy, I replaced the dust boots on the rack even though both had fluid in them. I paid $500, installed, for the rack that Danny's Import buys rebuilt from "a place in California." (That's where Danny seems to get all his reman stuff). The rack has been in the car eight years and has over 130,000 miles on it. I would consider that pretty darned good.

2geeSEi
06-15-2011, 07:40 AM
I got one from Autozone a while back for about $170 with a lifetime warranty.

DBMaster
06-15-2011, 12:27 PM
I have found, in most cases, you get what you pay for. I strongly prefer to buy only new, not rebuilt parts. Since that is not practical for something like the steering rack I was willing to pay more to have a warranty and to go with a known commodity. It is way too much work replacing one of these to give a crap about a lifetime warranty. It's not a job you want to do more than once a decade.