PDA

View Full Version : help with engine swap info

3g4meee!!
04-23-2011, 01:58 PM
I am a newb, yes. I tried searching for engine swap info and think I have information overload syndrome.
In plain english, I would like to know what I could put in an '87 accord lxi and the parts needed to complete the task. Right now, I am not interested in the "why's", just the "what's" needed. I found the said car but it has a blown motor. I found a replacement motor for $400 from an '89 LXi. that motor would fit right?

Thanks,
Jim

itzdave
04-23-2011, 03:04 PM
86-89 dx/lx(carbed) motors are a direct swap, 86-89 lxi/sei(fuel injected) motors are a direct swap. the motor you are talking about should work just fine with no modifications required.
the only time anything would be different would be if you are swapping a carbed motor in an EFI car, or vice versa...
all of the motor mounts will be should be the same except for the rear mount, unless the 'donor' car has the same type of transmission(auto / manual) regardless of the motor.

and :welcome:

88lxi-shortram
04-23-2011, 07:04 PM
86-89 dx/lx(carbed) motors are a direct swap, 86-89 lxi/sei(fuel injected) motors are a direct swap. the motor you are talking about should work just fine with no modifications required.
the only time anything would be different would be if you are swapping a carbed motor in an EFI car, or vice versa...
all of the motor mounts will be should be the same except for the rear mount, unless the 'donor' car has the same type of transmission(auto / manual) regardless of the motor.

and :welcome:

yup everything he said is true. since your injected just make sure when you order the motor that its injected too. also while its out i reccomend replacing your mounts as well sincei guarantee the mounts are all shot and broken. mine were horrible. when i pulled my side mount out the middle fell throuugh.

Demon1024
04-23-2011, 11:47 PM
I would suggest swapping only the blocks around. There are some differences in the 86-87 and 88-89 intakes you might not want to mess with. To make it clean just buy the head gasket, maybe clean the head up / have it milled /valves whatever, and swap the 87 head and intake to the new block. Unless of course you can get the black box and ecu from the car and don't mind tracing pinouts to make the dual stage intake and every thing work.

Oh and the engine wiring harness and the plug from the engine wiring harness to the driverside fender on both sides <-- makes it much easier

SettleMoore
04-24-2011, 09:45 AM
^what.

Demon1024
04-24-2011, 12:51 PM
^what.

Look up dual stage intake and Iacv

TotaledTL
04-25-2011, 07:27 AM
...all of the motor mounts will be should be the same except for the rear mount, unless the 'donor' car has the same type of transmission(auto / manual) regardless of the motor...

You mean betw. 2 injected cars OR 2 carbed cars, correct?
See http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75544

SettleMoore
04-25-2011, 10:06 AM
Look up dual stage intake and Iacv
Thanks lol, wasn't so bad now that I read through it, just alota info at once

3g4meee!!
04-29-2011, 06:07 AM
Thanks for the help. It seems pretty straight forward now.

Jim

TotaledTL
04-29-2011, 06:48 PM
You mean betw. 2 injected cars OR 2 carbed cars, correct?
See http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75544

Anybody confirm?