PDA

View Full Version : Out of Curiosity

Angelois
04-24-2011, 04:02 PM
I will be replacing all of my injector's seals when I do my gas tank in a week or two (it leaks about half a tank :thumbdn: ) But I know I got 1 bad set and one semi bad one but how much fuel do you think im losing in that one or two injector leaks? The one you can definitely see all round the injector has gasoline on it and the other just in one spot but Im replacing them all just to be done with it.

What can these leaks cause other than a loss of gas?

Angelois
04-24-2011, 04:16 PM
Well, Ive been researching So, should I replace the injectors or start with new seals and see if that fixes the problem? :lol:

ghettogeddy
04-24-2011, 04:24 PM
i would say go for the cheap thing first them do the expensive thing 2nd

RobT5580
04-24-2011, 04:34 PM
Replace your injector seals its relatively easy and it was a known problem and could cause a fire. Its simply a o-ring and should be something you can do yourself.

AccordB20A
04-24-2011, 04:43 PM
a fire maybe???

edit: fail where did all these other posts come from, laggy internets

forrest89sei
04-24-2011, 05:22 PM
I would replace those injector seals ASAP, Those seals have to withstand some decent Pressures and Between The Big Risk of a Fire and wasting gas when it's $4+ Per Gallon.

You can always pop the injectors out when your doing the seals and see how clean or dirty they may be.

The injector seals are about $4 per injector but when you consider they've lived over 20 years thats not too bad at all

One of the good things are Honda used the Same Injectors From Pretty Much 1986-1998, So if you need to replace them there pretty easy to find :D

Dr_Snooz
04-24-2011, 05:59 PM
We've encountered this a number of times on the board and I don't think it's ever not been the injectors themselves. When I had a fuel leak at the rail, I assumed it was the seals. I replaced them to the tune of about $32 and immediately discovered that a couple of my injectors were leaking from the casing. I pulled the fuel rail off again and replaced those two injectors. A couple months later, the other two started leaking as well, so I got to pull it all apart a third time. The deal is that you are supposed to replace all the seals each time you pull apart the rail, so the math adds up pretty quickly that way. I usually tell people to replace all the injectors and the seals at the same time. It really ends up being cheapest that way. On these old cars, if your injectors aren't leaking, they probably will start soon, so you're only delaying the inevitable (and spending more money) by doing just the seals.

Vanilla Sky
04-24-2011, 06:09 PM
I'm with the good Doctor here. If you have the cash, go ahead and replace the injectors now. They'll start leaking eventually. RC Engineering does remanufactured injectors, and they're pretty good.

DBMaster
04-25-2011, 05:20 AM
The new injectors come with seals, so no extra expense there. I first had leaks in mine in 1996. I spent $50 on a set of seals that had to be special ordered only to find out that I needed to replace injectors.

gp02a0083
04-25-2011, 09:18 AM
spend the money if it needs it, i had a friend with a 89 rx-7 with leaky injectors, i refused to sit in that car. 2 week later the engine bay caught fire after some of the fuel leaked onto the header.

Angelois
04-25-2011, 03:38 PM
Ahaha, I dont want no fires! Any links to the cheapest, Yet durable set or injectors? I'm not made of money far from it but any recommendations are welcome.

forrest89sei
04-25-2011, 03:43 PM
$27 with a $9 Core seems to be the cheapest I've Found

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1167027,parttype,6224

Dr_Snooz
04-25-2011, 07:14 PM
Crap those are cheap. I spent $100 per when I did mine. :(:(:(:(

Angelois
04-27-2011, 12:53 PM
That sucks man, :( Well Im defiantly going to play it safe and get 4 of those GB re manufactured injectors because id rather just do them than waste 30$ on seals. Do you know if those GB ones are a good brand because I just want them in with no problems anyone personally recommended GB? And between replacing a gas tank that leaks above half tank or new injectors go for the injectors right?

*edit* Actually if it doesnt have a core charge than that means they are new correct? IF thats the case should I pay the 10$ more to get new ones instead of re maned I mean I dont got anything against re manufactured but from what I understand you cant re-manufacture injectors. Any thoughts?