PDA

View Full Version : 89 DX coupe starter ???

pink_sleeve
04-24-2011, 07:10 PM
Any tips or tricks on getting the starter out on an 89 DX carbed coupe? I glanced at it today and couldn't really see the bolts to remove it but it was getting dark and raining. And it is supposed to be raining all week and I don't have a garage so I was wondering how long I am looking at to get it out. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated guys.

88lxi-shortram
04-24-2011, 07:25 PM
There's two or three bolts around it that are very easy to get out... Once you remove them simply pull starter put and slide new one in and bolt back down and ur ready to go

pink_sleeve
04-24-2011, 07:45 PM
There's two or three bolts around it that are very easy to get out... Once you remove them simply pull starter put and slide new one in and bolt back down and ur ready to go

Do you have to remove the heater hoses to access the starter bolts? Ill be able to get a better look in the daytime tomorrow.

Hauntd ca3
04-25-2011, 12:08 AM
its piss easy to remove the starter.
disconnect the batt neg.
remove the batt cable and start wire from the solenoid
undo the 2 bolts and slide it out.
there might be some minor manouvering around the radiator hose, but its only a 10 minute job to remove.

pink_sleeve
04-25-2011, 02:02 AM
its piss easy to remove the starter.
disconnect the batt neg.
remove the batt cable and start wire from the solenoid
undo the 2 bolts and slide it out.
there might be some minor manouvering around the radiator hose, but its only a 10 minute job to remove.

I must be missing something because I don't even see the bolts that hold the starter in even after moving the hoses around. It is still dark outside and I was just looking with a flashlight. I will have to take a better look when it is actually light outside here. Hopefully it isn't raining though.

pink_sleeve
04-25-2011, 02:59 AM
I'm pretty sure the starter this guy has pictured here matches mine. So i assume the bolts are on the right and left.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75370

car6289
04-25-2011, 08:27 AM
The two bolts are right and left if you are hovering over the front right quarter looking at the engine. From the car's perspective the bolts are front and rear. The socket required, if memory serves me, 14mm.

The right bolt , from the hovering over the front right quarter looking at the engine point of view, is just below the coolant pipe that runs along the rear of the engine. This bolt may be obscured slightly as it may be retaining a wiring harness clamp.

The left bolt, from the hovering over the front right quarter looking at the engine point of view, is approximately 180° from the other bolt, lower and toward the rear of the car.

pink_sleeve
04-25-2011, 03:14 PM
The two bolts are right and left if you are hovering over the front right quarter looking at the engine. From the car's perspective the bolts are front and rear. The socket required, if memory serves me, 14mm.

The right bolt , from the hovering over the front right quarter looking at the engine point of view, is just below the coolant pipe that runs along the rear of the engine. This bolt may be obscured slightly as it may be retaining a wiring harness clamp.

The left bolt, from the hovering over the front right quarter looking at the engine point of view, is approximately 180° from the other bolt, lower and toward the rear of the car.

Big thanks for the help guys... Next question is how complicated is it to rebuild the starter because every place i have called local to me does not have any in stock? The starter would still work when tapped with a hammer.

pink_sleeve
04-25-2011, 03:17 PM
Also i'm guessing the starter is the original. It's green with the silver and red Mitsuba Japan label on it if this info helps any...

Hauntd ca3
04-25-2011, 08:32 PM
a full starter rebuild isnt something to have a go at unless you are fairly mechanically minded.
its really easy to fuck up soldering new brushes unless you know what you are doing.
you really need to skim the comm in a lathe and undercut the comm segments as well if you do brushes.
is your car auto or manual?
if its auto,any a18 or a20 auto starter will work and the same for a manual.
so you shouldnt have to look for a starter for a ca accord dx coupe.
an lx, lxi,sei starter will all be the same, bar the minor differences between auto and manual

pink_sleeve
04-25-2011, 09:34 PM
a full starter rebuild isnt something to have a go at unless you are fairly mechanically minded.
its really easy to fuck up soldering new brushes unless you know what you are doing.
you really need to skim the comm in a lathe and undercut the comm segments as well if you do brushes.
is your car auto or manual?
if its auto,any a18 or a20 auto starter will work and the same for a manual.
so you shouldnt have to look for a starter for a ca accord dx coupe.
an lx, lxi,sei starter will all be the same, bar the minor differences between auto and manual
I am very mechanical minded. And I know all about soldering and cutting comms from racing rc cars for years now lol. Thanks again for the help guys.

Hauntd ca3
04-25-2011, 10:31 PM
well if you can do it on an rc car motor, you should be fine on a starter.
they are just abit bigger.
and have bearings which will need replacing.
just dont try and do the clutch bearings, is easier to just buy a new clutch