PDA

View Full Version : 89 EFI EGR question...

Susanoo
04-27-2011, 10:54 PM
Im in the process of gathering parts for a carb to EFI conversion...

Well....I was at a pick and pull yard the other day, like i said...gathering parts, and i noticed that for the EGR valve...theres a small tube that runs from the headers to the intake manifold where the EGR bolts up..

Well...the problem is that some jackass ripped the EGR tube off the manifold so i cant even use the tube...though the manifold might be salvageable. The question is, what do i do for the EGR stuff once i get performance headers?? I live in Tennessee in the US so i have emission standards. Soo...wtf do i do??? I cant block it off and still pass can i?

Susanoo
04-27-2011, 10:58 PM
Also i dislike how this looks so thats part of it...

ecogabriel
05-08-2011, 12:28 PM
The pipe from the exhaust manifold to the EGR base takes exhaust gas to be recirculated by the EGR valve.

You need the pipe otherwise the car will fail smog because of high NOx.

I read that loosening the EGR pipe nut at the exhaust manifold is a #@&!!! :burn: ; search for info here on how to do it.

Susanoo
05-12-2011, 08:50 PM
oh snap i just found your reply...thanks

Yea its been a real pain in the a**, I might try heating it up with a torch...

Dr_Snooz
05-13-2011, 08:08 AM
You should post pics of your project.

system-f
05-16-2011, 07:24 AM
I have no EGR tube on my LXI and I pass a sniffer test every year with flying colors.

ecogabriel
05-16-2011, 03:31 PM
I have no EGR tube on my LXI and I pass a sniffer test every year with flying colors.

A defective EGR valve made me fail the first time I tested the car because of very high NOx. CO and HC were well within limits. Because I did not have then a service manual I had to learn that system myself. Got a working valve and no problems ever since.

NOx can be reduced by running richer (more fuel = lower combustion temp.) but that would increase HC and CO emissions... whether they increase as far as to fail an emissions test, or they can be kept within limits to pass emissions is something I do not know. But if you modded your car, that may be a reason

system-f
05-16-2011, 06:35 PM
I just looked at my inspections report and I was close to the limit on NOX at low speed, but well within the limit on the high speed test. We will find out in a month what happens.

Susanoo
05-21-2011, 12:06 AM
I just looked at my inspections report and I was close to the limit on NOX at low speed, but well within the limit on the high speed test. We will find out in a month what happens.

When i first got the car i kept failing for HC...i finally had to take it to a shop and they reset everything to OEM settings and rerouted some vacuum lines...

Hopefully I can pass with a blocked off EGR system without much hassle...

Susanoo
05-21-2011, 12:07 AM
You should post pics of your project.

Look in my signature for a tumblr link...Im adding a ton of pictures here in a few minutes though...

Oldblueaccord
05-21-2011, 05:33 AM
oh snap i just found your reply...thanks

Yea its been a real pain in the a**, I might try heating it up with a torch...

if your driving it keep spraying PB blaster on it while you run around it will help it work loose some.

wp

Susanoo
05-21-2011, 01:33 PM
if your driving it keep spraying PB blaster on it while you run around it will help it work loose some.

wp

Car's been garaged for two weeks :P

Dr_Snooz
05-21-2011, 08:41 PM
Look in my signature for a tumblr link...Im adding a ton of pictures here in a few minutes though...

Looks like a lot of work. The car looks a lot better without the crazy graphics. Good luck with the swap. It's a doozy.