PDA

View Full Version : Carb Advice 88LX

jbthompson
04-28-2011, 10:58 AM
Hi everyone! I have been around here a bit trying to keep my 88 LX running. It has been stalling occassionally and it's only slightly dangerious but annoying. I took the car into a shop that is very reputable and they can rebuild the carb and replace the damaged vacuum lines for 900 bucks. That's a lot more than I wanted to spend.

So, I am thinking about trying to replace the vacuum lines my self. I have also looked into Weber conversions and honestly with what I have seen I am intimidated by the job. Is this hard to do with limited tools? I am also worried that if I replace the carb it will open up a bunch more problems that could take a decent running car into a not running car at all.

Any advice on how to proceed?

Thanks!

2oodoor
04-28-2011, 12:16 PM
900 bucks, boy they saw you coming :thumbdn:

If you are not required to get emissions inspections where you are at, I recommend the weber conversion. These don't pollute but they are considered prohibited modification in some places.
In my opinion the weber conversion is a lot easier than replacing all vacuum lines, wow. You simplify the whole carb system when you do that.
From 698954 vacuum pieces, :deadhorse: to three, doo the math. lol

If you have basic DIY skills like minor household plumbing, or seasonal lawn mower maintenance you can do this...

jbthompson
04-28-2011, 12:26 PM
Yeah my concern is that I do have to do emissions here in Texas. I don't think the car will pass anyway as is so converting it may be our best option. I do think the 900 was high when I am seeing new Weber Carb kits under 400 bucks. My fear is just damaging something removing the old car, this car and the hoses are OLD!

So it's pretty simple install wise??

2oodoor
04-28-2011, 12:45 PM
yes very easy, and fun too, wow it was awesome removing a 30
gallon trash can full of parts no longer needed under the hood. Check you emissions law about modifications. Webers pass the sniffer easy but you would be removing a lot of oem parts quasi related to emissions under that system.
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64982

Dr_Snooz
04-28-2011, 06:21 PM
I think the Weber conversion would be a lot easier than doing anything with the OEM carb. I'd say be prepared for some trouble when you go to smog test though.

JuJus88Accord
02-09-2012, 08:23 PM
still looks hard, wish there was a more accurate diy thread.