PDA

View Full Version : Bump stops

anchovies
10-13-2002, 07:24 PM
Okie just went to the junk yard today and worked on one 3g for the strut mounts and stuff

What I notice is this car does not have bump stops and the washers at the front and bumpstops and spring seat on the rear
:wtf:

The car is a coupe and FI, at least tht's what i thought but the distributor has 2 bolts with 88-89 bumper...wth

Just wondering if your cars have bump stops and all the stuff pictured in manchester honda site??

And is there a place I can just get the bump stops? Do I really need the rear spring seat?

smufguy
10-13-2002, 08:04 PM
the distributor is probably hitachi and not a TEC. well u see the intake system, it has a TB, its efi, no TB not efi. WHich u obviously kow, but just sayin. bump stops??? u mean the rubber shit that wraps on the coil?

anchovies
10-13-2002, 08:08 PM
This is the suspension section :D
bump stops on the struts dude

smufguy
10-13-2002, 08:12 PM
hmmmm, never really taken tha shit out. so bummer me :(

Jims 86LXI HB
10-13-2002, 08:34 PM
Yes you need all that stuff, I wouldn't do it with out it.

anchovies
10-13-2002, 09:02 PM
Then why didn't this car have it?
Is this a franskenstein car :D

Anyway, I found another Lxi which has the bump stop (but only can get one, cause the other top mount are seized) for the rear but did not have the spring seat.

arrggghhh..suspension sht is driving me crazy...crazyyyyy

Jims 86LXI HB
10-13-2002, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by anchovies
Then why didn't this car have it?
Is this a franskenstein car :D

Anyway, I found another Lxi which has the bump stop (but only can get one, cause the other top mount are seized) for the rear but did not have the spring seat.

arrggghhh..suspension sht is driving me crazy...crazyyyyy

Cause who ever had that car wasn't as smart as you are.:D

I just can't understand how or why someone would run their car with out that stuff, just not a smart thing to do.:rolleyes:

anchovies
10-13-2002, 09:36 PM
Arrgghh..so i still can't finish this project...damn i miss my car :( haven't been driving it for the pass 3 days

Some ppl use the dust boots for the front and some don't, so which should I follow? And how much to trim the bump stop if any? I'm hoping this would be a one time deal for the suspension for now :D But i might be just dreaming

Jims 86LXI HB
10-13-2002, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by anchovies
Arrgghh..so i still can't finish this project...damn i miss my car :( haven't been driving it for the pass 3 days

Some ppl use the dust boots for the front and some don't, so which should I follow? And how much to trim the bump stop if any? I'm hoping this would be a one time deal for the suspension for now :D But i might be just dreaming

I used reused my dust shields. I want as much protection from the elements as I can get. Pitting of a strut rod is a kiss of death. On the rear I used KYB strut booties to pretty much seal them form the elements.

As far as bump stops use them, DO NOT RUN WITHOUT THEM! IF your running past a 2" drop I'd say to cut them slightly. But that depends on how substanchile(ms) that bump stop is. As a example Bilstein bump stops are so tiny, you'd be crazy to ever cut them. What springs are you running?

anchovies
10-14-2002, 09:47 AM
I'm running sprints
The reason I'm asking about the dust shields in the front is because it might restrict the travel of the struts somehow (I remember reading about this in POSCarb's how to)

Jims 86LXI HB
10-14-2002, 12:23 PM
If they are properly installed and are not bent up they will not restrict anything. Onlyt way they might be a problem besides if they are dented or something is if you had bought some Koni's and had Koni shorten them. I have compressed my struts down by hand with the dust shields on and they do not hinder travel in any way.