PDA

View Full Version : Horrible noise. :( *video

Nio
04-29-2011, 02:10 PM
I'm not certain cause it sounds like a valve tap, but it also sounds like its coming from my pump. But it also sounds like I hear a taping noise coming from my oil pan, like a "clink, clink clink" noise.

I don't have alot of time left I leave tomorrow, most likely by plane now but I would like to figure out what the problem is. I've come to far now to give up on the car.

Also here is a video. :3 I know its the only way to figure it out.

http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy41/nionai/My%2089%20Honda%20Accord/th_MOV024.jpg (http://s776.photobucket.com/albums/yy41/nionai/My%2089%20Honda%20Accord/?action=view&current=MOV024.mp4)

http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy41/nionai/My%2089%20Honda%20Accord/th_MOV025.jpg (http://s776.photobucket.com/albums/yy41/nionai/My%2089%20Honda%20Accord/?action=view&current=MOV025.mp4)

YK86
04-29-2011, 02:55 PM
I'd hate to say it but it sounds to me like rod knock. But the sound I hear is more like a thump/tap than a light clink.

Nio
04-29-2011, 03:48 PM
I really hope not. :(

This car has been a total nightmare. >.> and yet for some reason I don't want to give up. How much do you all think it will cost to machine it, if I do it I might as well go all the way and overbore do new pistons, rods, cranks, seals, everything. I will have the car with me in about a month.

and then I will put money aside for the next 2 months and just a whole rebuild.

NXRacer
04-29-2011, 04:32 PM
get a magnetic oil drain plug. thats the quick and dirty way to see if you spun a rod bearing. if its a repetitive knock/tap its highly likely you're bottom end is going/gone

Nio
04-29-2011, 04:57 PM
get a magnetic oil drain plug. thats the quick and dirty way to see if you spun a rod bearing. if its a repetitive knock/tap its highly likely you're bottom end is going/gone

Well truth be told it wouldn't surprise me if it was something else.

We just replaced the rod bearings, However I'm certain the car needed it long before I even had the issue.

I guess I'll just do a full rebuild when I get the car in cali. to much money already spent and way to much time to just give up on her.

mushroom_toy
04-29-2011, 05:13 PM
Pretty sure thats a rod. Sounded just like my blown up 89. :)

Nio
04-29-2011, 05:33 PM
Pretty sure thats a rod. Sounded just like my blown up 89. :)

:3 got a estimate of a good rebuild price range?

ShyBoyCA6
04-29-2011, 06:14 PM
sucks but did it sound like that before putting new rod bearings?

Nio
04-29-2011, 06:22 PM
sucks but did it sound like that before putting new rod bearings?

No...Before I put the bearings in the car couldn't even get above 1500RPM, and it wouldn't go above 20mph. and the noise was different, like you couldn't hear it until the engine warmed up.

I was able to take it to the exhaust shop and a few other places and had no trouble getting up to speed and no issues with the RPMs.

Maybe my crank got screwed up when the old bearing went.

ShyBoyCA6
04-29-2011, 06:42 PM
No...Before I put the bearings in the car couldn't even get above 1500RPM, and it wouldn't go above 20mph. and the noise was different, like you couldn't hear it until the engine warmed up.

I was able to take it to the exhaust shop and a few other places and had no trouble getting up to speed and no issues with the RPMs.

Maybe my crank got screwed up when the old bearing went.

hmm that sucks Nio i guess the rebuild will have to do then.

Dr_Snooz
04-29-2011, 08:16 PM
Did you just drop the pan and replace the bearings? I would call that a long shot at best. I know some folks do that, but if you have problems in the bottom end, it's time to pull the engine and do a proper rebuild. I'm really not a fan of half-measures unless you are just trying to squeeze another few miles out of the car before junking it. You may have fixed the most obvious problem, but other problems will be waiting in the wings. Each time you fix the worst problem, you'll have to pull apart and redo what you did the last time. It's not cost effective at all. You may have fixed the rod bearings and ended up with piston slap.

Demon1024
04-29-2011, 09:51 PM
rod knock x3

Same noise everytime i started up the 89. Sounds exactly like it.

MessyHonda
04-29-2011, 10:39 PM
yeah that is not a good noise...you might to do a bottom end rebuild