PDA

View Full Version : Why is my car a black hole for bolts and such???

86-lxi
04-30-2011, 06:28 AM
Every time I take something apart and set little bolts or a spring? from my headlight it drops in the engine compartment and is swallowed up and disappears forever! I dropped the spring right in front and it fell right by all my delicate radiator lines so I couldn't move em outta the way to see where it went it just got gobbled up by the body. Now I need a little freakin SPRING for my HEADLIGHT, who designs this shit?:banghead:

1813mdw
04-30-2011, 08:25 AM
Every time I take something apart and set little bolts or a spring? from my headlight it drops in the engine compartment and is swallowed up and disappears forever! I dropped the spring right in front and it fell right by all my delicate radiator lines so I couldn't move em outta the way to see where it went it just got gobbled up by the body. Now I need a little freakin SPRING for my HEADLIGHT, who designs this shit?:banghead:

i always try to set everything up by the windsheild wipers

Buzo
04-30-2011, 09:04 AM
Yeah, this is so true. One time I spent around two hours looking for a nut that felt down the engine compartment. When I exausted all my energy went out to the street and looked up to the sky and said "Oh God help me to find this fu***g nut" and when was returning back to my garage the nut was right there besides the rear wheel of the car.

86-lxi
04-30-2011, 10:02 AM
i always try to set everything up by the windsheild wipers

Yeah I usually set them in a good spot like on the side or up by the wipers like you said but any time I accidently drop something there is some place down there that eats parts and I'd have to take the whole front end apart to get to them.

88lxi-shortram
04-30-2011, 12:27 PM
Lol dude true story. That happened to me all the time with my accord and when I pulled my motor I swear I found dozens of bolts and nuts sitting on the trans and everywhere else. When I tilted the motor to lay it down alot of shit rolled off of there

TotaledTL
04-30-2011, 07:16 PM
A $3 magnetic parts bowl from Harbor Freight cures most of this.... although I must admit I've dropped my share of stuff too. Either too lazy to go get the bowl, wasn't paying attention to where I put stuff, whatever....

lostforawhile
04-30-2011, 07:28 PM
I'm building a car in my garage, my floor looks like a hardware store, i just sweep it all up from time to time and remove the hardware

A18A
04-30-2011, 07:36 PM
^lol yeah thats what i do too

charliekuney
04-30-2011, 07:44 PM
I hate dropping bolts and screws from the trunk area into the sides of the trunk liner...like when removing the speakers. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

AccordB20A
04-30-2011, 07:56 PM
most of the bolts will be collected under your car by that GAY plastic they put there. i removed all mine and ive never lost a bolt since.

Hauntd ca3
04-30-2011, 08:17 PM
murphies law states
any nut/bolt dropped when working on a car will always roll to the exact center of the car

frantik
04-30-2011, 08:27 PM
lost the little cam gear key thing when installing the asjustable cam gear.. that sucked

Vanilla Sky
04-30-2011, 08:30 PM
When I was working on the Challenge Miata, that thing ate stuff like crazy. When it was started, we had half of Ace Hardware on the floor.

lostforawhile
04-30-2011, 09:26 PM
murphies law states
any nut/bolt dropped when working on a car will always roll to the exact center of the car
this is unless there is a difficult and dark place for it to roll to, in this case this law overrules the other and the bolt will travel in whatever direction it needs to to reach that area, even against gravity, in six months you will find the item and try to figure out how the ----(insert favorite four letter word here)----- it got there, i have seen dropped bolts bounce and then disappear, proving this theory

Hauntd ca3
04-30-2011, 10:12 PM
yeah eh! the ones that end up under a power steer line or under a bracket on the front sub frame suck. or if you have the spare wheel well gromet out and a nut ends up on the rear crossmember. now that one is a bitch!

Dr_Snooz
05-01-2011, 09:44 AM
I find that my 4g devours dropped items with a rapacity that the 3g simply cannot match. Nothing EVER falls through that engine.

stat1K
05-01-2011, 11:34 AM
buy a magnet bowl.

/thread.

86-lxi
05-01-2011, 05:08 PM
I have no problem finding stuff I drop as long as it reached the ground, I don't think a magnet bowl will do shit when the engine/frame itself is a magnet haha

lostforawhile
05-01-2011, 05:16 PM
no one ever said it better then George Carlinhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ySI8yxZ97I

JamesJimJam
05-01-2011, 08:51 PM
One time I set a bunch of screws by the wipers, then I started the car. Turns out the wipers were on. Why? I don't even fucking know. But I spent an hour looking all around my garage for stupid screws.

Ayeobe
05-01-2011, 08:53 PM
And your 3geez was like "LOL.... jks man, jks"

I dropped a screw from my 3gee in the bumper plastic... couldnt see it /anywhere/ lol..

JamesJimJam
05-01-2011, 09:03 PM
I never did find them.

Ayeobe
05-01-2011, 09:18 PM
That sucks man. Hope it wasnt hard to get replacements...

clark_486
05-15-2011, 09:44 AM
look for dropped stuff in the splash guard in the front just behind the bumper, it comes off with some bolts and if found stuff i thought was long gone in there