PDA

View Full Version : Custom tablet dock

Charbo88
05-01-2011, 03:43 AM
I have my dash out of my car right now so I can paint it, and I just got a tablet. I thought it would be cool to have a dock to mount it in for gps and music in the car, so I am going to make one. I am going to mount it in the little section that comes out of the dash between the center vents and the radio. Does anyone know what that is for? I was going to make a bracket that mounts to the 2 existing holes that comes out and has a place for it to sit in, then have a sheet of plastic for the back for it to rest against and have some elastic over the top corners to hold it in. Im going to cover the whole thing in vinyl or leather. I will post pictures when I start working on it probaby tomorrow.

Dr_Snooz
05-01-2011, 09:37 AM
Sounds pretty cool. I'd say do a proof of concept before mocking anything up. You'll have a real hard time seeing much in the sun. It would suck to fab up something really cool only to find that you can't use it after all.

RAZR
05-01-2011, 10:40 AM
check these guys out they put a ipad in multiple cars this might give you some ideas

http://www.youtube.com/user/soundmancaraudio

Charbo88
05-03-2011, 05:26 PM
Sounds pretty cool. I'd say do a proof of concept before mocking anything up. You'll have a real hard time seeing much in the sun. It would suck to fab up something really cool only to find that you can't use it after all.

That was my first concern too, but I have used it outside in the direct sun and I can still see everything ok. I was thinking of having a visor over the top of it to block too much sun so it would be easier to see though. I am going to start working on this tomorrow, I've just been busy at work so I havent done anything other than draw a few concepts for it.

Dr_Snooz
05-03-2011, 07:23 PM
Sounds like you got it all squared away then. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

2ndGenGuy
05-04-2011, 10:09 AM
Just make sure it's a tablet that won't hold you back 5 years from now. Or make some sort of a universal dock that will work on future tablets for when you upgrade.

Charbo88
05-04-2011, 06:33 PM
Well, while I was looking at how I can mount it I realized that since I have a case for it that has a stand built in, I am just going to set that up on top of the dash. I would still like to build something to hold it into the car but for now I am just going to use it like this. I will post some pics after I dye the dash and get it back in the car. Eventually I will be redoing the whole interior in black but since I have the dash out anyway I will dye that now. I did get the "new" door speakers in today though. Here are a couple pics of the new speakers and my engine after removing the emmisions stuff and cleaning it up a bit.

Also if you look at the engine pic you can see a bunch of wires stuffed beside the battery. Those are for the vacuum box and other stuff I took off, should I just cut and cap the wires or what would the best way to get rid of or hide them be?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/Charbo/IMG_20110504_173750.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/Charbo/2011-04-26151239.jpg