PDA

View Full Version : A20 ARP rod bolts?

hornetrcr
05-01-2011, 10:06 PM
Ive tried searching through the forums but havent had much luck finding the info im looking for. Im going to rebuild an A20A3 from an 86 prelude Si and am trying to find what ARP rod bolts to buy. I cant seem to find anything on ebay or anywhere else specifically for this motor, so does anyone know what size or what other motor had similar bolts that would fit?
Any help figuring out what part number or size of bolt to buy would be much appreciated. Im taking the motor to my mechanic for the rebuild on the 7th and would like to have all the parts for him before he starts. I need to have this motor done and dropped back in the car ASAP so i can get it back out on the track and beat the crap out of it again. Stock bolts didnt hold up. I did maybe 7 laps on the track before i threw a rod on a freshly rebuilt motor.

cygnus x-1
05-04-2011, 10:02 AM
The rod bolts you need are ARP part# 208-6001. The heads *may* need to be ground down slightly for clearance, but I'm not certain on that. I remember hearing this when I bought the bolts but I forget where. I do know that when I did my rebuild I gave a set of these to the shop and that's what they used. They didn't mention anything about the bolts needing extra work so I'm guessing they didn't need anything.

C|

89T
05-04-2011, 03:10 PM
The head studs are

Item number: 218-4703
description: Mazda 2.ol FS-DE '98-'02 hsk

mushroom_toy
05-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Those are the studs and there are No clearance issues...install and go. Use their supplied thread locker/lube and torque to our specs. :)

itzdave
08-01-2011, 10:50 AM
sooooo.... out of the 2 part numbers listed, what part number is correct?

cygnus x-1
08-01-2011, 11:15 AM
sooooo.... out of the 2 part numbers listed, what part number is correct?

They both are. One is for the rod bolts and the other is for the head studs.

And to clarify, the head studs fit perfectly with no modifications. The rod bolts *may* need some grinding on the bolt heads but I can't confirm or deny this. Very few people ever use the ARP rod bolts on the A20 for some reason.

C|

itzdave
08-01-2011, 11:41 AM
sweet thanks.

rjudgey
08-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Probably because the honda rod bolts are super strong ive not broken one and my engines spin to 8k rpm and have 200bhp if u were shooting for 500bhp maybe! But then u woukd have aftermarket rods with them in as std.

rjudgey
08-01-2011, 12:11 PM
One thing to note though with the honda ones old ones that havent been abused are fine but torque up a bit tighter than stock and use a thread lock they work loose after a while on a race engine.