PDA

View Full Version : cold start/high idle

kentwat
05-05-2011, 11:22 AM
I just bought my second accord. This one is a 83 sedan automatic. Odometer says 84000. Engine compartment doesn't looked hacked up. Original sky blue w\blue interior and manual windows. I'll post up pics in a few.

When it starts hot or cold it idles at 1500. I looked at idle screw and it looks to be screwed in and has no effect. I'm figuring vacuum leak or gummed up carb? Guessing into the wind on that one. When I drove it any time below quarter throttle it works like a champ. But when you mash the throttle to get passing gear it will sound like its loading up and start bogging the motor down. Then when you let off it clears off and you can cruise quarter throttle no problem.

Any way forgive me for not searching yet but I bought this for my teenage son for a first car and I just wanted to get the ball rolling. Thanks Kent
edit add image;
http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt273/kwat2008/Cars/83accord-1.jpg
http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt273/kwat2008/Cars/83accord-2.jpg

In searching it doesn't look like the carb is going to be very fun.

kentwat
05-06-2011, 05:46 AM
I know now I payed too much for it. I found the sensor on the head that goes to the fan has hanging loose. The electronics just popped loose. I need to find a manual for this. It starts up and runs but it idles at 2200. Then when you drive it if it gets a load on it it starts pinging like a timing issue. This is a lot different than my 86.

Dr_Snooz
05-06-2011, 07:25 AM
It's not so very different. If anything, it's easier. The '83 is my all-time favorite year for that body style. It has the old front end and they came with a 4-speed auto transmission. The '82s only had a 3 speed and it was rubbish, spinning 4k rpm at 75 mph. I had to swap the four speed into my '82 (totally worth it). Sounds like you have some issues to work through, but you can do it. I don't know how readily available carb rebuild kits are for those anymore, but I wouldn't waste too much time trying to fix the carb. Just buy a kit and rebuild it. Manuals are available from www.helminc.com and are every bit as good as the 3g manual. When I bought my '82, the crankshaft was sitting in the trunk. I remember the car fondly.

kentwat
05-06-2011, 10:37 AM
Hey Snooz thanks for the pep talk. I took off the air cleaner to try and see about idle adjustment and look for vacuum leaks. I found a few good posts on idle adjustment and the black knob on the back of the carb. I went through the process of setting it and it wil now idle at 1000 in park. I stopped there as a first start. I also found the tube between the valve cover and carb base had a big hole in and swapped it out and put it back together. The car is much more responsive and idles smooth. I need to take it out on the highway later after getting plates for it. I'm a lot happier with my purchase.