PDA

View Full Version : spitten, sputterin, and poppin

1813mdw
05-05-2011, 06:05 PM
in the past week or so my car has been running horrid. idle is fine, but as soon as i get into the gas it spits, sputters and i can hear what i believe to be unburnt fuel "popping" in the exhaust. i believe it to be running very rich but there is no CEL. my car is an 88lxi w/ a 89sei motor w/ 310,000 and a 5speed. anyone dealt w/this?

Pnem3
05-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Is your catalytic converter "cherry" colored or else red hot? If so then you may have unburnt fuel reaching it. Sooner or later it will ruin or clog the converter. I'm not sure about our Hondas but on other cars I have had this can be caused by the oxygen sensor or other sensors.

1813mdw
05-05-2011, 07:06 PM
Is your catalytic converter "cherry" colored or else red hot? If so then you may have unburnt fuel reaching it. Sooner or later it will ruin or clog the converter. I'm not sure about our Hondas but on other cars I have had this can be caused by the oxygen sensor or other sensors.

i have straight-pipe from the exaust manifold all the way back to the muffler. i think a faulty sensor would throw a CEL as well

dacantu
05-05-2011, 07:18 PM
Check your spark plugs. Remove them, take pictures of each one and post them. Check your cables also. Just start with the basics.

YK86
05-05-2011, 08:43 PM
The CEL will not always come on even if it's faulty. Actually, I think 85% of the time (from my experience), it doesn't. Especially the coolant temp sensor and o2 sensor.

Just an idea but if you have a vacuum gauge, check the distributor vacuum advance diaphragm. Also test the voltage at the tps and the o2 sensor as per the factory service manual.