PDA

View Full Version : A note on CA emissions and cats

ecogabriel
05-08-2011, 07:21 AM
The text below came from Rockauto.com,

http://www.rockauto.com/Newsletter/index.html

I believe it may be useful for those who want to keep their old cars running to understand the "regulations" about cat converters in CA.

Numerous states besides California require that new cars must meet California emissions standards. This potentially impacts every owner and buyer of new or late model used cars as well as the DIYers and professional mechanics that work on them.

Below are answers to some of the most common questions: (MY NOTE: i JUST KEPT WHAT CONCERNS CAT CONVERTERS)

Why are some of the replacement catalytic converters listed in the RockAuto.com parts catalog described as being for California emissions equipped models but “not legal for sale on vehicles licensed in the state of California?”

Since January 1, 2009, California requires that aftermarket catalytic converters sold in California have special California Air Resource Board (CARB) certification and labeling. An exhaust manufacturer may have built a catalytic converter that meets or exceeds California
emissions standards, but they have not yet received CARB certification so their catalytic converter cannot be sold in California.

If a catalytic converter meets California emissions standards but does not have CARB certification then can it still successfully be installed on California spec cars outside California? Yes.

I live in California. Will a new (manufactured after January 1, 2009) catalytic converter that meets California emissions standards but does not have CARB certification still enable my car to pass state emissions tests? No.

The catalytic converter meets California emissions standards so the vehicle’s exhaust will likely pass emissions tests. But the vehicle should still fail because the test includes a visual inspection of the exhaust system. CARB certification requires special CARB numbers be stamped into the body of the catalytic converter. Without the CARB label on the new aftermarket catalytic converter, the state inspector will fail the car no matter how clean the exhaust is. Catalytic converters made before 2009 or newer ones without CARB certification still have a date of manufacture stamped on them per federal EPA requirements.

Will this get less or more complicated in the future? It might get less complicated if the California emissions standards are adopted by all the states or if car manufacturers decide to only make California spec cars. But it could get more complicated if other states besides California are allowed to come up with their own emissions standards or if California or other states write new regulations similar to the CARB certification for replacement catalytic converters.

Tom Taylor,
RockAuto.com

ecogabriel
05-08-2011, 07:21 AM
Oh, I hope I have not violated any rule for posting what is on another website. If so, please delete my posting but keep the link. Thanks