PDA

View Full Version : Swapping flywheel to a drive plate and torque converter

-$MOKIN-
05-08-2011, 08:39 PM
:dunno:

:dunno:
I have to take the motor from a manual to a auto and its got the wrong wheel on it ?

I have neve had to change the flywheel to the drive plate ..
I have to get the flywheel off and it has 8 bolts that are 17 mm bolts that are like the star bolt ends and i have no idea how i can get these bolts with out stripping them and screwing my self...

Also do i just take the bolts off the drive plate under the car or was i supposed to leave them on and pull the torque converter with the motor or can i just take the motor off form the drive plate bolts.?

Help please i have to do this tomorrow afternoon.

Not for sure how to get the bolts off the flywheel and also if i can just take the motor out by taking off the drive plates bolts and leaving the torque converter in the tranny...

:stick::stick:

A18A
05-08-2011, 08:53 PM
it's easier to take the motor out with the gearbox bolted on to it.

unbolt all the little 10mm bolts on the engine side of the drive plate that bolt to the tq converter to seperate them

if you're converting from auto to manual or vice versa, you need to swap flywheel/drive plate

you undo the 8 17mm bolts on them with a 12mm socket. they shouldn't strip if you undo them properly

-$MOKIN-
05-08-2011, 08:58 PM
The motor i have to put in has a fly wheel on it and i need to put the drive plate on it...

On the flywheel i have to take off There are 8 bolts in the middle that when i put a 17 mm socket on them they started to strip .Is there a specialty tool i need to get ?They are real thin and not much to grab onto and if i strip them im screwed

And i just swap the flywheel to the drive plate right ?

And i cant wait to get this motor in A18A its so damn clean...

A18A
05-08-2011, 09:00 PM
oh i see now. yeah you just swap from the flywheel to drive plate. if your bolts have started to strip, it would probably be best to get a air gun on them.

-$MOKIN-
05-08-2011, 09:04 PM
damn...so i better not try with a wrench huh ? Fck man im screwed im goign to have to lift this motor and take it to a shop to get the bolts off ..
Another thing ...Are they the same bolts that will be on the drive plate too ?

A18A
05-08-2011, 09:08 PM
nah the flywheel bolts are longer than the drive plate ones.

if you have completely fucked the heads of the bolts, and you're not gonna use the flywheel, you could probably just grind the heads off and pull the flywheel off and take (what's left of) the bolts out with your fingers

-$MOKIN-
05-08-2011, 09:09 PM
or do you mean the drive plate bolts are longer than the flywheel ones?

A18A
05-08-2011, 09:16 PM
nah flywheel ones are longer cause the flywheel is thick cast iron whereas the drive plate is just a thin steel plate :)

-$MOKIN-
05-08-2011, 09:20 PM
so when i pull this motor out and try to take out the drive plate im going to be lookin at something thats going to be harder to get off?

A18A
05-08-2011, 09:35 PM
they will be just as difficult to get off as the flywheel ones. if you dont let the socket slip off it, it wont strip :)

YK86
05-09-2011, 04:31 AM
First off, I usually like to remove all the 10mm driveplate to torque converter bolts with the motor and tranny in the car. Use a 17mm or 19mm (forgot what the size was for the 3rd gen crank bolt) to spin the crank and get all of them out.

After removing the motor and tranny from the car and setting it on the ground, I take out all the 14mm and 17mm tranny to motor bolts and separate the tranny and motor. Using a socket with breaker bar on the crank bolt to hold it, I use a 17mm 12point socket to remove the driveplate/flywheel to crank bolts. 12point sockets are available at most auto stores. DON'T use a regular 6point 17mm or you will damage the head of the bolt.

-$MOKIN-
05-09-2011, 07:52 AM
Thanks yk86 .......yeah im going to stop and grab one ..thats all its down too is taking those bolts off now then its time to go back together