PDA

View Full Version : Gas Mileage Information

system-f
05-09-2011, 10:40 AM
I wasn't sure where to put this, but I wanted to share the gas mileage I have been getting for nearly the past 3 years. I might have skipped a handful of tanks, but not many. The notes on the furthest right are not up to date, but significant changes are noted.

This is for a 1988 LXI Sedan with a 5spd. I am not gentle with the car (or the gas pedal), sometimes tow quite the load or am hauling something on the rear receiver. In the summer the A/C is almost always on.

Honda Mileage Spreadsheet (https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AoRPUfDjPahhdDJEcGx0VDJQSUVJTFVZbEp0eUwzM 2c&hl=en&authkey=CIHL3r4M)

Dr_Snooz
05-10-2011, 08:53 AM
Good info! I'm a little surprised to see 24s in the mix. Reminds me of when mine had its massive vacuum leak and got down to 26. I find that when I really baby the gas pedal from a stop, my fuel economy drops off pretty badly. If I accelerate a little faster, I get above 30 mpg. I have a gauge pack that includes a vacuum gauge. If I accelerate to speed by keeping the needle in the red range (0-5 Hg, supposedly bad fuel economy) it gives the best fuel economy. When I tried keeping it in the orange range (6-11 Hg, supposedly better economy) mpgs dropped off to 28-29. Incidentally, you can't accelerate in the green range.

Thanks for posting!

system-f
05-10-2011, 09:26 AM
Thanks!

The 24mpg was because the O2 sensors were shot and there were a couple of other fuel injection related issues when I first bought that car. I am about to start a daily driver build for my 3g which will tell the story of the crap condition my car was purchased in. Also, please understand that I do not baby this thing at all. I average 30mpg with the A/C on cruise around 70, but accelerate with little regard for gas mileage.

Keachman1
05-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Good info. I've done the same thing with my accord since I've owned it starting in 2000. I also keep up with maintenance items like you do with a spreadsheet for all my vehicles. Your not an engineer are you? Your spreadsheet looks almost exactly like mine. I have had some 35-36 mpg with straight interstate driving but most are around 32 mpg with mixed driving around town and highway. My 3gee is getting ready to roll over 400k and still doesn't burn any oil and purrs like a kitten.

system-f
05-10-2011, 06:53 PM
No, not an engineer. I support about 70 of them though and my closest friend is an engineer so I understand the mentality. I have the same spreadsheet for my other 2 vehicles, but the Honda has the most entries.

I am gearing up to take the Honda on a 1100 mile each way drive involving some elevation. I really hope to average over 30 mpg on this trip. I think my mileage has been low for a while because of an O2 sensor that wasn't up to par and just recently failed.

I did get 29/30mpg in some serious wind at 70mph with a bike on the back and the A/C on full Fresh air over a 178 mile trip last weekend.

Lg310
05-26-2011, 04:38 PM
Im going on a 5015 mile trip and im trying to get input on what to replace to make the trip and also too boost my millage so far cv axles replaces wheel bearings brakes faulty caliper o2 sensor on a carb dont know if it might make a diffrence pcv valve right now working on putting a new clutch in any ideas on what else to do andalso want to fix my down cruise control

acpump removed
ac condenser removed

system-f
05-27-2011, 09:47 AM
Look in the projects section at my post. I am doing mine for a 2200 mile trip. The post will at least tell you what to check.

charliekuney
05-27-2011, 04:08 PM
Im going on a 5015 mile trip...

From where to where?

Lg310
05-27-2011, 09:15 PM
starting from CALIFORNIA > NEVADA>UTAH>IDAHO>MONTANA>WYOMING>SOUTH DAKOTA>NEBRASKA>COLORADO>KANSAS>OKLAHOMA>MISSOURI>ARKANSAS>MISSISSIPPI>LOUISIANA>TEXAS>NEW MEXICO>ARIZONA and if more funds come in then i might add a fem more states