PDA

View Full Version : Bad MPG, What to do for tuneup??

89accordlxi
10-13-2002, 08:13 PM
I have been getting very poor gas mileage lately. What tune up items should I check or change to better my gas mileage?
I already have new plugs and wires and coil. Would bad pcv valve effect mileage? How about 02 sensors?

Any help or suggestions would be great..

Peace..

dXsquared
10-13-2002, 08:46 PM
id say to change ur PCV valve... its so cheap and it takes 10 mins to do. then calculate ur MPG's... if they are less than 25 on the hwy than somethings wrong... check timing as well

Travis

Mike's89AccordLX
10-13-2002, 08:51 PM
Ok, I have a question; my pcv valve doesn't have the hose connecting onto the valve cover anymore. I put a breather filter on my valve cover and left the pcv valve open. What do you think I should do? Is this bad?

dXsquared
10-13-2002, 08:53 PM
does ur car run good?
Travis

ACCORD EX
10-14-2002, 12:25 AM
check your mixture ! i did have a bad mpg when it wasn't set right ! ( idle mixture screw ! )

MIKE

shepherd79
10-14-2002, 04:35 AM
he has EFI, not carb.
check your computer under the driver seat. it could be you have something not working right.
check your fuel filter. it may needed to be changed.
through a bottle of fuel system cleaner.

89accordlxi
10-14-2002, 05:47 AM
Hey, thanks guys for the responses. Yeah, my MPG is in the low 20's about 23-25. And that is highway miles. I will change my pcv valve and see what happens.. I have suspected that my timing needs to be looked at for a long time now. But I never seem to get around to it since I don't have a light. How often should the belt be replaced? I have had the car for 4 yrs and have not changed it yet. Haven't adjusted valve clearance either. Is that something that should also be done?

Thanks..

shepherd79
10-14-2002, 08:37 AM
timing belt should be replaced every 60000 miles.
check your timing, but if you were getting good gas millege before that means you have some problems with a computer or something else.
check computer.

anchovies
10-14-2002, 09:34 AM
adjust your valve if you hear ticking...if you have time just do it for the fun of it :D
check your tire pressure also, easiest but always forgotten

89accordlxi
10-15-2002, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by DXHATCHBACK
id say to change ur PCV valve... its so cheap and it takes 10 mins to do.
Travis

yeah right...10 minutes my butt. Did I mention that I hadn't replaced my pcv valve for over 3 years. Lets just say it took more like 60 minutes. The damn thing was so stuck in the hole, I couldn't even pull it out:rant: Plus, it was so old and brittle that the top part completely shattered when I tried to clamp a pliers on to it. So that left me with the bottom end of the pcv valve stuck in the hole. It took me for ever to figure out how to get it out. I finally came up with a plan to screw a big screw into the part that was stuck in the manifold, which already had a hole in it. Then I literally had to climb on top of the engine(luckily I am a small guy) and yank on the SOB with a vise grip.. After pulling with all my might, it finally came out. But the rubber grommet around the pcv valve is so old and brittle as well that the new pcv valve doesn't sit in it very tightly... Is it possible to change the grommet also? Will any harm occur if any small particles fall into the pcv hole? Because since the grommet is so brittle, I am going to have to crack it up into little pieces to remove it.. What would happen if any small pieces fell into the hole?

Oh yeah, plus, looking down the pcv hole, it is lined with some nasty brown gunk. Is there a way to clean out the hole with like throttle body cleaner or would that not be a good idea?

Sorry for making this so long. but any further help or suggestions would be welcomed..

thanks..

Peace out..

88EXi
10-18-2002, 04:57 AM
BTW what is descent MPG for a 3geez? I get between 28-32.

anchovies
10-18-2002, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by 88EXi
BTW what is descent MPG for a 3geez? I get between 28-32.
That's great

Mike's89AccordLX
10-18-2002, 09:57 PM
I wish I got that much, I'm checking my tire pressure and changing pcv valve tomorrow.