PDA

View Full Version : NOOB mistake, failed smog.

nswst8
05-14-2011, 11:00 AM
Remember that when you are in a smog state and you put on an adjustable cam gear, keep a spare cam cover that you haven't drilled a whole in it to show it off.

"So that you can put the spare on just before you go get your smog done."

ghettogeddy
05-14-2011, 11:05 AM
odd last 2 places i went said nothing about it. its not an item you need a smog sticker for correct

AccordB20A
05-14-2011, 12:42 PM
do they not like modifications to your car?

forrest89sei
05-14-2011, 05:26 PM
Good to know, Stupid California... I don't see why they have to be sooo critical about the Visual inspections, As long as your car is passing emissions why does it matter if you have a Aftermarket Cam Gear or a intake

nswst8
05-14-2011, 07:31 PM
The only reason for the fail was for the Cam gear, the DC sports header has the CARB EO # and all other mods need an EO # as well. They produced the state regulation.

My HCs were were right at the max but I'll just run some cleaning thru it before the retest.

88lxi-shortram
05-14-2011, 08:13 PM
glad they dont do that in georgia

MessyHonda
05-15-2011, 08:59 PM
yeah when i got pulled over for loud exhaust i had to go to BAR and get my exhaust tested. the guy opened my hood and freaked out. my car passed at 87 decibels max is 95. sucks that he failed you

Dr_Snooz
05-15-2011, 09:00 PM
Wow. That tech was pretty hardcore. I took a shiny new intake and a polished carb in on the truck and the tech never said boo. LOL

Good luck on the retest.

blazin3gen
05-17-2011, 10:06 PM
odd last 2 places i went said nothing about it. its not an item you need a smog sticker for correct

i passed smog with mine with no probs:dunno:

A18A
05-17-2011, 11:54 PM
sounds strict, but I bet you have hardly any mitsubishis on the road there :thumbup:

w261w261
05-18-2011, 06:19 AM
I'm in the northeast, so only know of CA hassles from this board. But, in watching the various build-a-hot rod shows on TV, how do the builders get away with all the mods?

dieselgus
05-18-2011, 08:24 AM
Wow, odd. Up here they look under the car for a catylitic converter, then stick it on the dyno. No opening hoods or any of that nonsense. If it runs clean it doesn't really matter what is under the hood as far as I am concerned. And as far as I know there is only Aircare in the lower mainland of BC. In Manitoba, the government has been spending money like crazy to lower car theft rates and aren't overly excited about clean air initiatives.

ghettogeddy
05-18-2011, 11:00 AM
I'm in the northeast, so only know of CA hassles from this board. But, in watching the various build-a-hot rod shows on TV, how do the builders get away with all the mods?

depending on the year if its a old hot rod they prolly have no smog i think its pre 75

Strugglebucket
05-18-2011, 04:02 PM
Yes, an adjustable cam gear will fail visual inspection.

At my last smog, I failed visual because the tech actually LOOKED UP the carb e.o. number on every part I had on the car. So my 90-94 accord AEM CAI was a no-go, even though it has a carb sticker and is the exact same setup as an 88-89.

He also said my pacesetter header was not listed for my car. I had to show him how to use the mouse and scroll down to find it, since pacesetter has the same e.o. number for all of their headers and yes, at the top of the list all you will see is Ford trucks lol.

Speaking of e.o. numbers, here is where you can look up any number and see all the models it applies to:
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/amquery.php
you can also search by type of part to see if there is particular part available with an e.o. number and see exactly what that number is. You know, for fun.

frantik
05-18-2011, 09:55 PM
next time go to a shop in the middle of the ghetto not La Jolla :kekeke:

also, i wish i cold figure out why my header doesn't have the carb "sticker" on it even though it's clearly a DC.. the carb info and the DC logo should be on a plate welded on to it

MessyHonda
05-19-2011, 08:23 AM
next time go to a shop in the middle of the ghetto not La Jolla :kekeke:

also, i wish i cold figure out why my header doesn't have the carb "sticker" on it even though it's clearly a DC.. the carb info and the DC logo should be on a plate welded on to it

dc came with 2 versions. i noticed that pico has a dc logo on one pipe and a carb plate on another pipe

like this http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/picopop/2009/100_2156.jpg

frantik
05-19-2011, 10:41 AM
dc came with 2 versions. i noticed that pico has a dc logo on one pipe and a carb plate on another pipe

like this http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/picopop/2009/100_2156.jpg

well they must have had a 3rd version with no carb or logo at all cause thats what i got

mushroom_toy
05-19-2011, 12:44 PM
well they must have had a 3rd version with no carb or logo at all cause thats what i got

There is. Its the one I told ya about right that you bought from the guy out here? Im almost 100% it was a dc, just no emblems.

YK86
05-19-2011, 03:43 PM
Wow, odd. Up here they look under the car for a catylitic converter, then stick it on the dyno. No opening hoods or any of that nonsense. If it runs clean it doesn't really matter what is under the hood as far as I am concerned.

Aircare used to check under the hood. I forgot when they stopped doing it but it was quite a while ago. I'm glad they don't any more (not that I have anything to worry about). If it passes, who cares what's under there lol.

frantik
05-19-2011, 11:12 PM
There is. Its the one I told ya about right that you bought from the guy out here? Im almost 100% it was a dc, just no emblems.

yeah i'm 99% sure it is a DC too.. just sucks not having the carb sticker on it :(

Dr_Snooz
05-20-2011, 02:01 PM
If it passes, who cares what's under there lol.

The smog check only tests for emissions in a very narrow range of operating conditions: steady speed driving at 15 and 25 mph (California test). The car experiences a much more varied range of conditions in real life during which it can produce a lot of smog.

I wish CARB was a little more helpful in approving aftermarket parts. We have a lot of guys on here who need carbs but can't get them because CARB won't approve anything that works on our cars. The net effect is that they either drive around with broken carbs that pollute or use illegal parts and pollute. It's stupid.